A Game of Dwarves (DF with graphics?)

Quoting RPS:

It’s a strategy-cum-management game, by Zeal Game Studios, in which you must control a dwarven settlement. It has a Theme Hospital meets Dungeon Keeper vibe about it, with a sprinkling of Settlers, and of course a lot of Dwarf Fortress, as you manage your crew of dwarves to dig, build and defend themselves. It’s going to be randomly generated, meaning each time you start a new game it’ll be a completely unique dungeon, requiring new strategies

Hell, and quoting a comment (because I agree 100% with him)

If it has half the depth (no pun intended) of DF’s fortress mode coupled with a more user-friendly UI, I’m practically sold.

Screenshots show a still early looking game, being honest.

I always wanted to get into DF but I … I just can’t get passed the graphics. I know, I know. Graphics Whore.

Still, this sounds perfect for me. Also, that’s a helluva title. Sold on that alone.

I don’t think that’s a “graphic whore”. More a “common sense”-whore. Having understandable graphics on screen is useful for the gameplay.

“Graphic Whore” is more “I only play AAA games and only a maximum detail a AAx4 @60fps”.

Simpler DF with graphics, huh?

Didn’t we actually already have this, many years ago?

rezaf

I got past the graphics by using a graphics pack. It was the UI I couldn’t get past. It was a beast to tr and manage, and I got tired of trying to figure it out. Every now and then I go back to the game to try and figure something out though.

As early as the screenshots look it looks nice. I agree that if it was some depth and a better UI I’m totally on board with this.

From a game concept point of view, this sounds totally awesome.

I suppose it’s inevitable but comparing AGoD to DF isn’t really fair to this game. You can’t make DF with graphics, you can barely make DF without graphics. Still looks cool, though.

I would LOVE a more accessible dwarven fortress …with multiplayer…

And carrot!

Exactly. DF isn’t about the graphics, but the underlying logic/coding.

Now, to be fair, DF started somewhere. One can always hope that someone tries and keeps adding and adding to a game with a nice GUI.

I wouldn’t count on getting half the depth of Dwarf Fortress. Maybe 10%, plus lots of charm and accessibility. It has potential to be a fun light strategy game.

I hate it when people post random images as if we’re supposed to know what the fuck that game is. The filename says Wiggles. Still not seeing it on Google.

It was called “Wiggles” during development and for its German release IIRC. For its English release the title was eventually changed to “Diggles”, subtitled “The Myth Of Fenris”.

DWARF FORTRESS IS NOT FOR WEAKLINGS

IT WAS FORGED BY THE TOADY ONE OVER LAVA ON AN ADAMANTINE ANVIL

IT MENACES WITH SPIKES OF ADAMANTIUM

ADAMANTIUM IS HARD

DWARF FORTRESS IS HARD

This is going to be like Dwarf Fortress only in the sense that it’ll have dwarves in it. Other than that, I’m guessing it’s going to be more Dungeon Keeper/Evil Genious than anything else.

Yes but when was the last time you actually played it?

Oh look, another Dwarf Fortress thread full of people whining about the UI. Were any of you around back in the DOS days? It’s no harder to learn than any of that stuff was. I can fly through DF’s menus in my sleep by now. Truth.

You’re not helping.

You’d have a point is UI and usability hadn’t improved by leaps and bounds since DOS.

So you’re just lazy, is what you’re saying?

[D]warf Fo[R]tress [I]s [E]asy t[O] [L]earn

or, as we just say it in the Dwarf Fortress language:
D-R-I-E-O-L ,see, how can that possibly be hard?

Oh, I’m definitely lazy. The minute a game starts to feel like work, I’m out…

I just made a post about that in another thread actually.