A Journey of 1000 Miles in 2023 - fitness tracking and accountability thread

A new year means a new thread for fitness tracking. I think I might make my goal a bit less ambitious than 1000 miles and instead try to do at least 3 miles of jogging at least 4 times per week. That would get me to 624 miles by itself and seems very doable (sans injury.)

2022 thread here

For post your progress for a 1000 mile challenge or any fitness challenge in 2023. As before please share goals, encouragement, photos, tips, struggles, anything.

As I said in the other thread, overall goal is going to be 2k km (about 1250 miles), but the real challenge is going to be completing a marathon in September.

Now I’m skiing (I’m pretty bad) and I might have put on some too tight boots and my right foot hurts a lot. Hopefully it’s not an injury, because that would be some way of starting the year.

Goal will be 500 but who knows…both biking and walking…anything more than last year’s low ball amount will be good. Got 2.17 miles in yesterday so it’s a start.

Good luck everyone with all your fitness goals this year…let’s have a great 2023!

Also known as 1000 kilometers! Welcome to Europe amigo :)

Wow that is an awesome coincidence :) Guess I’m shooting for the 1000 km club! (If my damn ankle will stop giving me issues.)

Everything cycling related is in metric, it really is such a better system, but I am still stubborn and have everything set to miles. I am close to breaking though, everything Zwift related is in metric and you even get a little experience boost if you do kilometers (it’s a game where you gain levels).

I still can’t decide on goals. I think about you guys doing 1000 miles a year of walking, and that seems like so much time and walking is so boring. I just don’t have the willpower. I think I am going to set easy goals that give time for injuries. So 500 miles running and 2,500 miles cycling. Also a goal to get outside on a real bike more often during the colder months, and to drive to some local parks/greenways to run just for something new to look at.

I like old measurements. Makes me feel like these old timers :)

I may switch to furlongs.

I did quite a bit off bicycling in 2021, and I really enjoyed it. Was riding 25+ miles a week. Unfortunately, 2022 started out with me having some serious left hip issues, to the extent that I wasn’t comfortable riding the bike. So I didn’t do squat last year.

Fortunately, I got my left hip replaced last November 29, and as of now, it’s feeling really good. I’ve started doing some casual walking, increasing little by little each day, with the goal being to walk around 2 miles a day on a semi-regular basis. I should be there in less than a week. My wife walks daily so we typically walk together, which is good accountability.

Regarding the bike, the plan is to take it to the shop and let them give it the once-over (my brand also had a recall which they notified me about so I’m going to have them check for that also). I’m hoping that I should be able to get back to riding in the early part of March. I am really looking forward to this so I’m pretty sure that schedule will happen.

Given all that, I should be able to easily hit 1k miles from combined walking/biking. I’m ready, let’s go!

Got some miles on the 2023 clock. Hooray :) Transitioning from 3 runs a week to 4 so won’t be pushing on the ‘long’ runs.

Are you following a plan or just running?

Keeping an eye on plans, not going with one in particular. I might go with something specific once I’ve got into the routine.

I’ve sent back two pairs of zero drop shoes so far, and am waiting on a somewhat ridiculous size 12 to see how that size feels, before even trying the drop. I want to try them out but am cautious about too much new stuff…

What brand zero drops are you buying and returning?

The Torin 5. Chosen pretty much at random.

Not sure what I will try to do this year. I had my platelet rich plasma injection today for my hamstring. I was told not to really do anything for 2 weeks, then do the light exercises he gave me for 2 weeks, then progress to the more difficult exercises 2 weeks after that. If those go OK then I can start walking for exercise. I was used to walking 4 miles a pop, but I guess I’ll have to start lower and build back up.

Then, if all goes well I can try to ease some running into my exercise. I’d really like to be able to do 3-4 miles, 3 times a week - but I will see. If I can’t do that than I will be biking more.

Week 1 2023 in the bag. I cleverly had my first ‘long’ run the same day I was course marshal at another race, so I stood and cheered for 3 hours beforehand but it seems to have been ok… Transition to 4 runs per week achieved!

None of them felt super easy :)

I felt guilty yesterday for taking a day off as I"m working on 500 total miles this year and losing 23 pounds the 1st quarter of the year. (243 to 220)

I did something like 12.5 miles first week…walks and exercise bike…need to keep it going.

My biological father ran ultra-marathons and did the Ironman many times and was still going on 10-15 mile runs in his 70’s so I know I have the genes in me…just need to find those damn things!

No tracking, but I did rejoin my local complex and holy hell, I actually ran! I do not run as a rule, certainly not just for exercise. I’m pretty mean in short lunges like Tennis or Pickleball or whatever, but I really enjoyed breaking into a proper jog for 1/10th of a mile at a time, separated by 2/10s of a mile brisk walking.

I laughed when I saw your title “Long” on Strava. Not because it’s not a long run, but because that’s going to be a short run for you in a couple of months.

I always feel guilty, but it’s silly because we need to take day offs to recover. I have mostly took this week off and it was a good reminder how easy it is not to do anything. I ran today, but I had to talk myself into it.

If it’s not on Strava, it didn’t happen! Congrats on the run, if you enjoyed it, hopefully you can do it more often.

Thanks, can I ask the thread, what’s a good option for basic workout pants (not shorts, have plenty of those) for the seasoned gentleman? Must have pockets, back pockets as well.

For running specifically, I would have more ideas, but not for general workout gear. I really like Vuori’s stuff for workouts and lounging, but it’s not cheap and I am far too old for it. Their jogger type pants all have a bunch of pockets, fit well, and are comfortable.

I have found REI to be a good place to go for running/cycling stuff. They carry the expensive brands, but their own line of running clothes is really good too, and usually half the price. Plus, they have sales on the designer brands sometimes.