A Journey of 1000 Miles in 2023 - fitness tracking and accountability thread

Thanks, I’m way behind/beyond the look-good curve, I just need some cheap stuff that isn’t jeans. Honestly, I’d be perfectly fine working out in jeans but there is at least a small nod to fashion that is necessary. When it comes to athletic performance at 50, it ain’t the clothes holding me back.

I wear Outdoor Research Ferrosi pants when hiking, mostly for sun protection, but they’re lightweight, have lots of pockets and dry quickly so would work for workout pants. When doing indoor rock climbing I wear a cheap pair of tactical pants because they’re rugged, but also not cotton like jeans. It’s rare that wear anything but shorts for regular working out though. (I’m 46 and also beyond the look-good point.)

I like cold and was never at the look good point, so I run in running tights.

Yeah, I’m with this strategy too. Simple and doesn’t cause chafing. From roughly 40-50 Fahrenheit it’s running tights and a short or long sleeved top of similar material. From 30s-40s probably add a thin thermal layer up top. If really cold then start adding gloves / hat. If even lower then switch to thin wool tights & top.

And who cares about looking goofy etc. nobody gives a crap what a random middle aged dude is doing running down the road when it’s clearly too cold for normal people to bother exercising outside.

It’s silly, but I just can’t do tights, despite that I wear spandex for cycling. I know no one cares and that it is all in my head, but it’s more about tights are for fast, serious, runners, and I am not either of those things. I know that’s not true, but I can’t get past it. It’s even more silly because all the modern running pants I have are practically as form fitting as tights anyway.

I did buy some Soar “running trousers” that are actually kind of baggy, but they are one of those “you don’t want to know how much these cost” brands. I wanted to see what the hype was. I do like them, but not sure I will be buying anything else from them.

I’m surprised at how much any running tights cost, honestly. The best-fitting & well-made ones I could find recently were Nike branded and cost nearly $150. I expect the woolen thermals to cost a bunch because they are more specialized / smaller batch, but that seemed a bit high for “plain” running pants. I blame it a bit on upward market pressure from fancy stretchy pants like Lululemon.

It occurred to me that what I’m looking for is almost certainly at Wal-Mart. God help me, I’m going to Wal-Mart.

In other news, made my first 2 successive laps of actual jogging at the gym, and added .5 miles to the effort. I’m actually enjoying this!

Target always carries Champion sweats (they used to at least, been a decade since I have been to one). Their stuff always lasts me years. Not that I would consider running in them. Any sporting goods place would probably give you more options as well.

Well, what I’m calling running and you’re calling running are very different things, so they would probably be fine for me. I just want some leg cover while it’s cold.

We were in Montauk some surprisingly chilly month so we got emergency tourist shop sweatpants. That’s what I wear.

I always buy sweats at TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Name brand stuff at heavy discount. I have to try on 10 pairs to find one or two that work for me but it’s good stuff for fairly cheap.

I remember back in the day…80’s…we’d wear spandex to college classes and workouts all the time.

Cant imagine doing that now. I wear ZOIC shorts with cycling undershorts. The shorts are great as they are nice enough to wear all summer to work and just throw on the undershorts with the padding for cycling.

Also if you search on Amazon for “workout pants” with no filters you get, uh, some interesting ideas about current cultural desires.

When it’s chilly out - rarely when I’m in Florida as I am now, but often when I’m home in Michigan - I wear these $15 sports tights under my running shorts:

They won’t keep you warm in sub-zero temps but work just fine in the 30s and 40s…and lower than that I stay inside anyway, not worth the risk of slipping on ice. No pockets but since you’re wearing shorts over them, not an issue.

There is a guy I see around here running occasionally, he wears tights but he wears these baggy blue gym shorts over them. It looks kind of silly, so I am not sure what he is going for. Just embrace the tights if you are going to wear them!

Otherwise the only people I see in tights are 20ish women, usually running in a sports bra as well.

I run in tights, leggings, etc in the cold too. But I also have access to more quantity at better prices due to my job.

Still a pair of compression leggings with shorts on top is my normal 30-50 wear.

Believe it’s a pretty settled question!

Argh, coming back from 6 days without running (skiing is very low-intensity at my crappy level) is being hard. I guess holiday excesses didn’t help either.

After a very nice comeback run, I’m now struggling to keep a sub 5 min/km pace that was easy a couple weeks ago. Also 10k are leaving me exhausted enough. Need to start doing longer runs again…

I hope I can get back into the rhythm soon.

Strava is increasing the price, but not telling anyone until a month before it renews. It’s also depends on where you live. For US it looks to be about $20, but they aren’t actually posting their new prices anywhere. Doubt I will be keeping it.

I paid $80 for an annual membership a couple of weeks ago. I kind of hate Strava, but it’s better and more integrated than any other option.