A large mod for Deus Ex (The Nameless Mod) has been released

I rest my case.

I rest mine.

(I haven’t played it for more than half an hour, but - Christ! - no wonder everyone makes games with space marines being gruff.)

KG

You rest it prematurely. Before writing off the mod, you at least need to hit up Sol’s Bar and head over to the Corporate District. The shop described is very specifically a Fan Fiction store, capitals and all. The fact that the people in it are insanely devoted to every line of the original Deus Ex is part of the joke. You don’t have to listen to a single word of it, or even go in. Moreover, it’s the only such place in the whole game, with the rest increasingly going for a Tron/Reboot/Snow Crash vibe where the real-world forum elements take a firm back seat to more overtly cyberpunk stuff. At least until the ending areas, where things get very, very meta again.

(I think that a lot of the opening area makes some tactical errors, especially when it comes to the idiots in T-shirts stamping around, but a lot of them seem like a bigger deal than they are. In particular, the characters have their own lives within the gameworld - they just happen to share the name of some guy or gal who posts on a forum you’ve probably never visited. The actual character relationships are typically a riff on something from DX itself, like the gender-swapped Gunther and Anna equivalents, or a teenage kid with authority taking on the Tracer Tong role, rather than any forum politics or whatnot. That just isn’t particularly obvious at the start, when the concept of the mod is on trial, rather than how it actually handles itself. Doesn’t mean you’re not going to hate it or find it just too silly, but the content and context don’t necessarily come across in a quick synopsis.)

Sometimes you just know what you like and don’t like :)

Out of curiosity, Richard, what are the mods you hold as being better/in the company of the Nameless Mod?

Been playing a bit more and I’m liking it a lot, particularly the gameplay. I don’t think a lot of single-player mods (TCs or full fledged campigns, not gameplay tweaks or add-ons) are completed, much less this expansive, so out of the few I’ve played this is probably the best.

In fact, I don’t remember the names or what games the other single player mods I’ve played are except one for HL2 that I think started with an “m”.

edit: Minerva, that’s it.

I have never heard of Minerva. Is it finished or should I just wait until they release all the episodes?

And yes, single-player TCs are pretty rare these days. Even the epic Oblivion Lost doesn’t shake things up like a new campaign. But I admit I haven’t followed them much.

The guy who made them was hired by Valve, and the last one was released a couple years ago so I’m not expecting any more anytime soon.

With only the bolded part, it means that this mod has to be not only better than most mods, but better than 90% of the commercial games.

So, is Tom the final boss or something?

And for anyone who actually plays this and might have the same bug I got, I found a solution.

The game crashed for me every time I went into the DXO HQ after you talk to the woman on the intercom, she opens the doors for you, and then you walk in and it starts to load the level.

Go into Data Execution Protection and make the Deus Ex exe, and the “tnm” exe exceptions. That worked for me.

edit: And I keep playing it and enjoying it. I guess I just have a high tolerance for goofy settings compared to others? There’s lots of little touches I like, like one of the characters in the game rubbing my face in the fact that I suck so bad at following directions I took a train to the wrong district of the city.

Yup. He shoots hotkeys at you, and has terrible AI.

Does anybody SPEEL his DREENK in this? If not, pass.

Anyone know for sure which option to choose to get the new OpenGL renderer that’s included with TNM? I’m guessing the obvious would be the OpenGL one but the text box below it sounds like it’s still a beta version from the original game.

It’s that one, yeah.

Yes. At least one guy does.

When I reinstalled the game, I went to the sound settings and that line is used to test the current audio selections. Didn’t remember that at all. Kind of funny that they are a bit self-aware about the dialogue I guess.

The beta for the New Visions mod is available. It’s a texture pack and should work with HDTP and The Nameless Mod. Mostly looks like the usual noise map stuff to me but I’m sure it’s better than the alternative. Too bad no one’s working on new models.

I started TNM tonight and it feels great to be back to Deus Ex! I have only played until the point where I can finally go explore, and so far the meta forum stuff hasn’t gotten too silly. Like Richard said, the good voice work helps.

As far as I’m aware, the textures are all redone from scratch (or, for brickwork and such, from CGTextures, etc.). If there’s any complaint to be leveled against it, it’s that he tends to prioritize looking cool over looking authentic.

Yeah I thought about that after I posted. Maybe it’s the rendering engine or the level design then. Just looks like a bunch of detailed tiles everywhere. Either way, that’s what it ends up looking like.