A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

They include Hello Fresh and Chewy…

WTF are they talking about non-tv subscription services, lol.

If we are talking ALL subscription services, doesn’t that include electricity, water, etc?

Are they counting the entire cost of Prime?

Amazon Prime
Beauty subscription boxes
Book services
Children’s subscription boxes
Cloud storage
Dating apps
Diet/fitness apps
Digital newspapers/magazines
Fashion subscription boxes
Gaming services
Home security systems
Identity protection service
Lifestyle subscription boxes
Meal services
Mobile phone service
Music streaming
Pet’s subscription boxes
TV/movie services
Web hosting
Wellness apps
WiFi at home

Why would you include things like Wifi and mobile phone service but not electricity, gas, etc?

$10 Spotify
$10 Adobe
$10 Amazon Prime ($119/year, which is essentially $10/month)
$15 HBO Max
$10 for my 247 sports subscription to my college team. But as 247 is owned by Paramount/CBS, that includes Paramount+
$37 Netflix. I get the HD Netflix stream, but I’m also on the 3-disc Blu-Ray plan.
$3.33 Microsoft/Office 365. I have a cheat because I’m part of a Friends & Family plan at the Company eStore. Getting the $100 Microsoft 365 yearly package for $40 is nice.

Game Pass Ultimate is weird because I did the Gold conversion thing a year ago and won’t have to pay again until September 2022. But when I eventually do have to pay for it, the Company eStore again has it for like half the price of regular.

I mean, in a real sense, basically all of my monthly costs except for food, gas, credit card interest, and one-off “fun” purchases like a videogame or concert are basically subscriptions of a sort. Rent, subscribing to a condo. Power, subscribing to modernity. Cellphone, health/care/renter’s insurance, cable internet, Patreon, YTTV, CPAP supplies, streaming services, music service, RPG services, news subs. . . plus annual stuff like Amazon Prime, webhosting/domains, car taxes, Google One. . . well over half my monthly expenses are “subscriptions” depending how you define it :)

As far as I can tell, because the point of the survey isn’t so much how much people are spending on these things, but how much they underestimate they are (about two thirds, on average). Presumably they think people have a good handle on utilities.

If we’re including utilities like internet and cable I’m well over the average, if we’re not I’m well under.

I guess I can give this a try too
$70 for Google Fiber
$45 for Google Fi phone service for me and my wife
$15 HBO Max
$4 or so for Game Pass Ultimate
$4 or so for PS+
$12 for Humble Bundle
$2 for Paramount+
$2+ for Washington Post

So I guess total of $154 per month. The bulk of it is internet and phone, obviously.

EDIT: Forgot about $29 a year for Washington Post subscription, added it in.

But what about the Patreons you support? Gotta add those, too!

i remember directv used to cost $180 / month. No internet included. $39.99 for chinese crap, HBO/Cinemax, basic, fees, etc it all adds up.

Christ almighty. Channel 4, which already has the most ads of any streaming service I’ve ever used, has started showing static ads when you pause a show.

I bought a whole year of HBO max before realizing that it looks like shit on the ps5 which is my primary streaming system. Looks like crap even on older non-4K stuff and doesn’t support 4K at all.

Streaming through my 4 year old Samsung tv using Wi-Fi looks much better than the ps5 which is hard wired.

First world problems and all but it makes me angry.

Also the motivating factor for subscribing was to watch dune and I didn’t realize they pulled the new movies after theatrical release after a month (only to put them back several months later?!?!).

So this has just been a big pile of fail all around.

Westworld is amazing though.

HBO Max does have 4K support, actually, at least on some devices. There’s just very little 4K content - mostly just the stuff they’re simultaneously releasing in theaters.

Yeah it just doesn’t have 4k support on the PS5 specifically. Looks great on my smart tv app.

Btw, matrix in 4k looks great. It really helps eliminate the compression artifacts you see in the older versions

Yeah, the one month window sounds like a nice wide window in which to watch the movie, but I missed out on a few movies so far, including Dune.

Or, sadly, on PC. :/

Wait seriously? Lol I fuckin hate trying to play high def content on a pc

Netflix is AFAIK the only streaming service that offers 4K on PC, and even with them you need to have a number of different specific pieces to the setup - at least thus-and-so CPU, at least X generation of HDCP support on your card/monitor/cable, and use either Edge or the Microsoft Store Netflix app. And if you’re missing some piece of that it won’t tell you what. But fuck it, at least it does it. Everybody else if I want 4K it’s my TV, or the pirates.