A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

I have to confess, I really enjoy having CBS All Access more each time I’ve gotten it. I honestly thought it would be the least attractive service out of all of these, but they’ve done a great job bringing on more and more content that I want to see. Their app itself is very responsive and zippy on the Xbox One, which helps.

Right now I’m catching up on Survivor and Star Trek: Discovery, both of which I’m enjoying a lot. And watching episodes of classic Star Trek, and the occasional Deep Space Nine episode. The new Twilight Zone starts in a week, I’m really looking forward to that.

Amazon Prime AMD Netflix have had the Star Trek shows for years now.

How is Discovery compared to the other series? I really enjoyed DS 9 & TNG.

They’re also on Crave / Bell here in Canada. Their website & apps suck if anyone is considering that service. It’s very frustrating to use. They had a nice Xbox app a few weeks ago, then replaced it with an even worse version of their site.

True, same with Hulu. That’s one nice thing about switching services, no matter which service I switch to each month, most of them have all the Star Trek shows (except Star Trek Discovery, obviously, only CBS has that one in the U.S.).

I enjoy Discovery a lot. It’s its own thing, it’s hard to compare it to other Trek series. It has persistent storylines, like DS9. It’s characters aren’t as compelling as DS9’s though. But it’s main character, Michael Burnam, is a good one. It definitely has a darker feel than any Trek show though, which makes it hard to compare. It’s more Battlestar Galactica in emotional feel sometimes than Trek.

Ah yeah, I’ve waited long enough.

Netflix show backlog, here I come!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-24/youtube-bows-out-of-hollywood-arms-race-with-netflix-and-amazon

This is not loading for me for some reason. From the headline, does that mean that they’re not trying to get movies on Youtube Premium? Or does it mean that they’re ending Youtube Premium, or whatever they call the service now? This is their service where they had the sequel to Karate Kid, right?

It means they’re not going to invest a lot of money into creating original content, like Amazon and Netflix and Apple.

There are way too many other players in the race with bigger pockets.

YouTube will be content with just having users make video, and gaming (Stadia) for the most part.

In addition to channels there’s some on demand content.

It’s no match for premium services but with both a MST3K channel and a RiffTrax channel there’s some value there. So far there’s no more commercials are than what you’d get on a broadcast channel.

I’d never been to PlutoTv until seeing this post. Not bad for free and It’ll work for “background noise” purposes.

A bullish take on Disney+

Remember how people keep saying no on buys movies or TV anymore.

US home video sales of Disney content average $2.6-3.0B per year (a figure that has been flat since 2015, despite the supposed death of home video).

Reason #4: 35MM+ US Homes Have Kids

I think this is the main reason though. I don’t know too many parents who are against their kids having access to their favorite shows, and several of them are on Disney. That and the same parents would really like not having to hear the same episode 4 times a day. If they open their library, I’m sure they’re there.

According to this site, 2018 DVD/Blu Ray sales were down 15% from 2017 at 4.03 Billion. Streaming was up 30% from the previous year to almost 13 Billion . I’m not sure where purchasing digital movies falls, maybe Electronic Sell-through? I guess that would be buying a movie even if it isn’t a physical movie.

No, I never said they were dying. But they weren’t growing, and that’s almost as bad when your stock depends on growth.

There’s a reason why all the studios shuttered their Home Entertainment Divisions years ago.

Yeah well while Six Flags almost went bankrupt, and theaters start complaining about people not going to the theater… you have Disney. It’s rarely smart to bet against them, and I’d be curious how their sales are doing.

I have no doubt streaming is growing but 3B from just Disney is nothing to sneeze at.

As a parent of little kids, I actually don’t agree. Netflix and Amazon have been producing a ton of original, good content for kids. There’s no lack of content, and they’ll easily switch to other shows from the ones they knew earlier.

The first post-Viacom addition to Pluto includes over 1000 episodes of BBC content (ironically, only in the US).

AT&T may be about to ditch HBO Europe to raise some cash. Seems like a dumb move, both in terms of HBO’s global growth and in terms of business logic. I can’t imagine they’d get a great price for a company that would be entirely dependent on another for its content. Sure there’s some value in the platforms and customer relationships they have in at least some jurisdictions, but not nearly as much as when combined with the content. What happens when the licensing deal runs out, or HBO US decides it only wants to cater to US tastes?

The EU just passed a law mandating that streaming services that operate in the EU have to have at least 20% content that is made in the EU.

So is this AT&T not wanting to do that? It seems foolish. The EU is a market of 500 million wealth first-world citizens.