A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

Why? I’d pay that during the appropriate season to follow a team I like.
I won’t pay for cable, so right now I get my sports fix by going to a bar with friends. I kind of hope they don’t get sports specific or team specific online offering going, because right now my “going to the bar is cheaper than cable” story is working on my wife. If she gets wind of this sort of thing for college football I’m in trouble.

Because the $23/mo option is replacing “this channel is included in any/all of the available live streaming services” and I’m not particularly fond of directly giving Sinclair money.

I’ve used AT&T TV, Sling TV, and YouTube TV and Bally Sports was not an offering on any of them. Are you sure that people are actually losing anything?

I agree it sounds like a lot of money, though.

Edit: yep, only AT&T TV currently offers it, and nobody actually still uses AT&T TV.

For now, the only streaming option that currently offers Bally Sports RSNs is AT&T TV. Other popular streaming providers such as YouTube TV, Sling TV, and Hulu with Live TV have stopped carrying the Bally Sports RSNs at various times over the last three years due to not being able to reach an agreement with Sinclair over carriage fees. The company also launched the Bally Sports app this spring, allowing users to sign in with their cable or streaming credentials.

When it comes to sports, I’m all for unbundling those networks from the packages I subscribe to, since I don’t care at all about it and would prefer the cost not be baked into what I pay.

So this is the old Fox Sports and their regional networks. They carry the Cardinals and the Blues in the St. Louis area. If you pay $23/month to watch it you’re paying for the entire year if you want to watch both baseball and hockey. I wouldn’t do this but I don’t really watch these sports anymore anyway.

As Mark mentioned, before this year they were branded as the Fox Sports regional networks. In Ohio they carry all the MLB, NBA, NFL (cable broadcasts), NHL, MLS, and AHL teams, plus some CBB and CFB. The reason it’s only on AT&T TV currently is because Sinclair refused to negotiate and renew the deals because they were planning to launch this standalone offering - which they couldn’t roll out in time for this year leaving a large number of customers with no choice if they want to watch sports.

I can agree in principle, but I’m going to go out on a limb and guess your rates haven’t gone down if you lost Fox RSNs due to this move.

Funny how that works, isn’t it?

Not that I will ever give Sinclair a dime of my money.

That’s how I feel. I am not giving Sinclair any money. I will watch Fox shows because they are on network TV and I can get that through our antenna or through AT&T TV, which we get at the employee discount. If Fox spun off everything into their own streaming network I wouldn’t pay for it, however.

There may be a day when the only time I ever watch sports is to go into a bar to watch something.

We will be content with our antenna TV, which includes Pluto, and Netflix, and Prime. Those alone give us more content than we can consume. I need the Methuselah drug which will let me live to be 900 so I have time to consume all the TV, gaming, and reading backlog I have.

UK government plans to step up regulation of streaming services, but it’s still pretty vague at the moment:

Looks like season 2 of this has started showing up on Hulu. Weekly releases, last episode isn’t until August. Likely will give it a try then, since despite my complaints about the writing, I still enjoyed watching season 1.

Friday on Hulu, y’all!

I don’t think many providers are even serving up 4k content so the big adds here are unlimited streams and offline viewing. Now for the low cost of $85/mo.

I’ve watched about 3/4 of it so far, and it’s fantastic, especially in the portrayal of “old school” Motown (David Ruffin, Gladys Knight & the Pips) vs. “psychedelicized” soul (Chambers Bros, Sly).

Highlights so far have been Sly & the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder on the brink of becoming STEVIE WONDER!, and, most exciting, the gospel duet featuring Mahalia Jackson and Mavis Staples.

I’m just sorry I couldn’t relate to any of this music at the time, or I would have been there.

We had to cut it short last night, so we’ll be picking it back up momentarily. Stevie Wonder played a fucking drum solo!

As someone whose favorite all-time album (after much consideration!) is Sly’s There’s A Riot Goin’ On it was awesome to see him before he slipped into druggy despair.

Amazon Music Unlimited is offering a Disney Plus promotion: new AMU subscribers can get 6 free months of Disney Plus and current AMU subscribers can get 3 months. (If you recently bought an Echo device, you may already have a temporary AMU subscription that came with it.)

Opinions on Vudu for digital movie purchases? I used to buy movies via amazon prime, but I’m finding their UHD content a bit limited.

Vudu is great, been using them for years and not a bad thing to say about them.

Same, the video quality of their streams has usually been better than most other sellers.

I use Vudu all the time, and have been for years. I treat them a lot like I do Amazon and over half of them are Movie Anywhere so the helps.

They used to have a great sharing option for your library but just like killed it one day with almost no notice.

I got a notification a couple of days ago about Season 2 of that Spanish-made Amazon Prime series about El Cid. First season was pretty decent, although the Spanish language spoken definitely had some anachronisms thrown in (and let’s face it, in 11th Century Spain they weren’t speaking even the relatively modern but archaic-to-our-ears Spanish of Cervantes’ time).