A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

Paramount+ numbers are inflated though. They give out free month codes at all times, so you can subscribe for free, and yet be a “paid subscriber”.

Not that they don’t have great content, mind you. I love all the Star Trek content and the CBS shows, but they have a terrible app.

So there’s a new Scooby-adjacent cartoon coming to HBO Max called Velma, focused on-- well, you know.

So Mindy Kaling as Velma is a pretty inspired choice, but check out these others:

Holy crap, Sam Richardson as Shaggy? Oh man, I am so in.

So how many weeks will they have it on HBO Max before they write it off for tax reasons?

I posted this in the baseball thread in Everything Else, but perhaps the question is better here:

I want to watch the Phillies game today but will be out of market, in central Pa. The Airbnb where we’re staying does not have cable, just a few streaming options like Netflix and Hulu.

The game is on Fox. I downloaded the Fox Sports app and the Fox Now app to my phone and signed in to each with my cable provider (FIOS) login, and the login was accepted on each app. So - will I be able to see the game on either app? I have googled this and can’t figure it out.

I also have a Sirius subscription, but can’t tell if they are carrying the radio MLB playoffs. All these options just confuse me.

My experience with trying to view my Nats games while away from home has been disappointing. I have Xfinity and though I can login to all the apps required, they claim I am unable to watch the home games wirelessly when I’m not on my home network. I’ve vaguely recall that I couldn’t even record it and watch it unless I was on my home network.

Obviously your mileage may vary.

Have you tried a VPN?

I have no idea how to do that. I’m pretty illiterate on these matters. Any tips?

this is the pay one I use, I don’t trust the free ones for various reasons. PIA is not the absolute best these days I think but it will work for you to watch that sports game (they have a free trial)

download the client for whatever device you are using, enter the data

then I assume the trick is to try to connect to the location of your home market to trick the servers into thinking you’re still home.

It may or may not work, PIA is very popular so tv providers tend to figure out you’re using a VPN.

Yeah, what Wise said. The key is to route through a server that would count as local to the broadcast.

I’ve been using PIA for nearly 10 years and I think it’s great, but various providers have definitely gotten wise to the VPN thing, so it’s not certain it’ll work for location spoofing.

For streaming, at least for Netflix, you have to find a VPN that specializes in streaming services because Netflix keeps banning them.

Which is kind of weird, I’m assuming they only have legal rights to certain countries shows, but Netflix really puts a lot of effort into VPN whack a mole. Piracy I could understand, but people with VPNs are people that want to pay Netflix every month.

American providers hate netflix and don’t want Americans to be able to watch stuff on netflix. in the US shows were frequently on other providers like Hulu or Amazon, and these days their own networks

The Fox app is working on my phone. I’m watching the game out of market on the Philly Fox station’s stream. Success! Thanks everyone.

I’ve used PIA for a couple of years for a VPN but it never seems to help whenever I want to use it for fooling any streaming services. From what I understand, it “leaks” your normal IP address because of the DNS servers it uses (or something like that).

i think i pretended i was in Japan succesfully when I was in London

It’s kinda useless thought because all the Japanese shows only had Japanese subtitles, which I cannot read.

I think it’s just that many streaming services block all known VPN IPs. As someone else noted, there might be VPNs that specialize in this and switch IPs more frequently.

Indeed, it’s very difficult to evade geo IP blocks via commercial VPNs these days. My guess is the best way to do it now is to run your own VPN on a friend or family member’s router in the region you want to stream from.

I use Windscribe and I assume this is what they do - they have special destinations you can connect to specifically for streaming (US, Canada, Japan, UK), but I have streamed from other locations using it as well (Australia). It has always worked fine for me - I’ve just tried it again now to make sure, and I can get US Netflix from the UK. I think they have free plans if anyone wants to test it out.

This is more Warner Bros than HBO Max