A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

Feel like I’m watching the death of HBO Max in real time. Burn in hell, you Final Space-eradicating fuckers :D

Netflix with ads, $7/month

Won’t have access to full Netflix catalog, and will be restricted to 720p. Hmmm. I might have given it a try if it had been 1080p and the full catalog.

I think they’ve said it’s a small percentage of the catalog that’s missing, and it’s because of licensing terms. So presumably future licenses will be compatible with the ad tier plan. None of it’s relevant to me–I’m sticking with no ads, thankyouverymuch!

Oh hey, so maybe it’s a good thing that over the last two years, I switched most of my media consumption to AppleTV instead of my Xbox. It uses waaaaay less power, it turns out.

Of course it does. One has a full fledged, high power APU and the other has what is basically a low/mid tier mobile SoC.

The third option: “use your tv app” is even more efficient!

Hey, at least the second season of Avenue 5 finally premiered! Two years later, granted.

HBO Max is still the best streaming service out there, for my tastes, so I just re-subed for another year. Despite being mad at the new head for his recent changes and seemingly random potshots at shows like Final Space.

https://9to5google.com/2022/10/20/youtube-premium-price-hike/

Announced today in an email to subscribers, the monthly cost of YouTube Premium will jump from $17.99 per month to $22.99 per month for those using the family plan that allows for up to six accounts to use the same subscription. It’s an increase of over 25%. The price is jumping to $29.99/month if you subscribe through the Apple App Store.

Do we have a thread for random TV shows not worth their own threads or is this it?

If there’s no thread called “TV Shows you may or may not have watched (that are interesting)” I grant you permission to use this one!

Hey, how’s that “The Peripheral” series on Amazon so far? Based on a fairly recent William Gibson novel, I gather.

Oh shit. Wonder what this means for Frndly.

Yay, Frndly says they have no plans to stop streaming Hallmark, so I guess this isn’t an exclusive deal. WHEW.

Thanks, I figured there would be one.

This should be interesting. Seems Netflix moving (partly) to an ad supported model means they’re having to be more transparent about viewing figures.

“What if Clueless, but with a ghost?”