A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

Yeah, what they’ll end up with is what Disney is doing with HULU and Disney+. You can sub to each separately, but the bundle price will be very attractive.

For me, the entire appeal of that service (and mind you I’m not a subscriber) would be access to the entire back catalog of Mythbusters.

The one thing I was waiting to get out of the whole thing was Battlebots. Alas.

Certainly not going to subscribe to Discovery+ just for that. It’s getting to be that maybe its cheaper in the long run to buy some shows (when possible) rather than adding and managing monthly streaming services.

It’s free on PlutoTV here.

That’s cool. It’s not here, sadly.

Netflix’s fight against password sharing is expanding in earnest. The company is rolling out paid account sharing in Canada, New Zealand, Portugal and Spain after trialing the effort in Latin America. If you live in one of these countries, you’ll need to set a primary location to have unfettered access at home. If you have any friends or family who want to share your account, you’ll have to subscribe to either the Standard or Premium tier and pay a fee ($8 in Canada and New Zealand, €4 in Portugal and €6 in Spain) for up to two extra users outside of your home.

You can still watch on your phone or sign into the service on a device elsewhere, like a smart TV at a hotel. Netflix also lets you convert a profile into a new account. The company promises to tweak paid sharing based on feedback, and to continue the deployment over the “coming months.”

8 dollars for 2 extra users outside the house? Does that also bring up your total screens from 4 to 6?

Per user. So $16.

I made the math. Right now people in Spain that share the account pays 4,5€ / month (18/4).
Now it will be (18+6+6/3): 10€ per month.

While a steep increase for password sharers, all things considered, it’s still cheap. In fact I’m surprised by the Internet anger. You can enter in a gaming forum full of people accustomed to pay $70 per game, where it seems half the forum have a $1800 computer and a lg c1 as tv, and it seems paying 12 buck per month for hundreds of series and films is a bridge too far.

See, this seems like 8 dollars for up to 2 extra users @TurinTur.

Maybe the wording is tripping me up.

That’s Endgaget. Search the price page in Netflix. Here it’s the Spanish version

(add an extra subscriptor for 6€/month)

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you.

The people complaining have never, ever paid $180 for cable internet. They’ve been leeching off their parents their entire lives.

I don’t know anyone that’s ever paid $180 for cable internet. And we were one of the first adopters of Roadrunner when it became available here in the late 90s.

I have an issue when Netflix has implicitly allowed this for so long and now that they’re no longer putting out as much value - and losing subscribers as a result - they’re turning the screws. While also continuing to raise prices.

That was very common like 20 years ago, and I can’t imagine it’s any cheaper today. Most people just don’t have cable.

DirecTV with HBO and other premium stuff was $180 /month here. That’s for video. Internet was separate. I just remember because it was so expensive.

Oh, cable and internet. That’s completely different.

It’s not a matter of absolute cost, it’s a matter of paying more for less pretty much. Not to mention that since every other competitor is cheaper, it’s paying more than you “should”. Also, it’s not like Netflix is wowing people with their content, at least the people I know, half say Netflix has nothing worth paying for, has cancelled all the good stuff, isn’t putting out HBO quality stuff, lots of content, but little that’s wow.

So, into this environment they come and ask people to pay more, it’s an awesome time to go check out the other streamers.

When people share, jumping around between streamers is an hassle, they change it so sharing is no longer as easy, more people might just pay when they have the time to binge the like 2 series they want to watch.

The 4K ability being limited to the highest tier plan is straight BS, and who even has 4 4K TV’s at home? That plan was pretty much seen as a “share with other people”, and changing it now is sure to cause bad feelings.

Which is why they’re doing this in not-USA, so if it blows up in their face, it’s in smaller markets that won’t hurt. If it works out for them, then, US is probably in the cards too, once they have certainty that the numbers will go higher.

It’s still great value for someone who watches stuff every day instead of going to the movies or outside, but that doesn’t help when it’s getting more expensive and I can’t even watch House of the Dragon, Boys or Last of Us.

More straightforwardly, here is a comprehensive list of times I have ever seen people happy about being asked to pay more for the same thing:

And here’s the list of companies that have a history of never raising prices:

Has Huy Fong (the sriracha brand) raised prices?