A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

My AMC does this–not for many, admittedly, but there are 1-2 movies a day you can see with captioning. I’ve seen a few like that because the times were convenient and I got used to the captions quickly.

They also have versions that turn the volume down for people (mostly kids) who can’t handle the sensory overload of normal volume. The lights are turned up part way for those.

The future of streaming is ad-supported free TV?

Well that would certainly be ironic if we ended up with standard linear TV again.

But I don’t think it will dominate. The power to watch what you want when you want is too valuable.

God I hope not. Fuck having even a single ad involved anywhere in the process.

Almost there

The Verge is really pushing this. Different author this time.

That guy is fucking trolling

There is a known thing about decision anxiety, but I don’t want to live in a world where my choices are Law and Order or NCIS.

What I’ve found is that when I don’t have anything in mind to watch, I need to sit down at the PC and google each service to see what’s worth watching. That doesn’t always work, but it can help.

That’s actually why I prefer TV series to movies. I already know i like the tv series, so it means everytime I sit down I have something to watch.

Warner Bros Discovery loses $1.1bn in 1Q23 and burns nearly $1bn in cash. Streaming is however profitable now, albeit barely. These numbers don’t look great to me though:

Better than their basic cable business though

Disney combining all their stuff into one uber app.

Has anyone here watched Invasion on Apple TV+? I watched the first couple of episodes at some point and it was kinda slow-moving. I was interested in it because the actor who does Jin Sakai in Ghost of Tsushima is in it. Does it get any better? I think it’s been cancelled, so does the story get resolved?

Also, has anyone tried Ghosted? Is it just an excuse to look at Ana de Armas? ;-)

Don’t bother. Nothing interesting happens.

And Ghosted was OK. Pretty standard Netflix-level movie.

I haven’t seen Ghosted but the reviews were pretty negative.

I tried it, was not impressed.

I watched it last week. It is absolutely an excuse to look at Ana, and also has a few genuinely funny moments. Some of which are cameos, like when Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan show up to kidnap Chris Evans. That stuff all totals maybe 20 minutes, and the rest is pretty mediocre action spy flick.

Ghosted blurs together with the 13 other spy movies Ana De Armis has done or is doing. It also blurs together with the deluge of “wait, you’re a spy!” action comedies that have appeared recently. Citadel, the terrible True Lies TV show, and this are just a smear in my memory.

I hate that you are paying for screens, resolution, and now the number of people but can, in no way, determine what you actually want.

Eight bucks? That seems high. I thought they were testing $3-4. Eight seems like something you do if you’re worried about strangers organizing shared account parties, which they should be able to detect and block if they care to.