A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

Apple has enough money that they could easily create or acquire some brands to keep boobs and guns at arms length, so to speak.

I doubt they’ll succeed with a lineup of family-friendly content, audiences are different and more demanding now.

I remember about 4-5 years ago when Apple was all like, “WE HAVE THE FIRST TRAILER OF THE NEW SEASON OF GAME OF THRONES” at their big hardware unveiling.

I don’t even think it’s boobs, and guns, either. As the story notes, Tim Cook is writing notes like, “Don’t be Mean.”

But you need conflict to be part of drama. You’re not going to hire Oscar winners and expect them to behave like they’re on Sesame Street.

It’s at least partly “boobs and guns”, or things that’s a synecdoche for. This whole story first arose when they spiked the Dr Dre show.

Hard to imagine Apple being successful with content without leaving it to the experts. Because even the experts are wrong a lot.

IMO Apple should just buy a service, like HULU, AMC Networks, or something else, and leave it to the people running it to run it. Keep it a separate brand so they don’t have to have silly rules.

Hell, they have enough money to buy Netflix if they really wanted to.

Remember Yahoo TV? Yeah, no one will remember the Apple shows either. Have they even said anything about how people will see them? Are they free with an iDevice? Do you have to pay $2.99 an episode, but they’re only sold through iTunes? Are they launching their own streaming subscription service that’s going to try and compete with Netflix and Hulu and Amazon and CBS and DC and Disney and YouTube, except on a fraction of the possible devices all those are available on?

Yes45

I remember Yahoo TV because it had the final season of Community.

Why, though? Where’s the synergy with their existing products and services?

The answer is the same whether they acquire a service or launch a new one.

Nope. Spotify, Shopify, and Yelp all make perfect sense, they would support Apple’s existing properties. Making TV shows doesn’t, it’s a whole new business.

Wouldn’t a Spotify acquisition be seen as anti-competitive at this point?

A year or two ago, sure. But I think it’s too late now.

Yeah, I agree. Apple could start a TV/movie subscription service that would make sense (since they already have relationships with the studios through iTunes), but original content is definitely a new frontier for them. As I mentioned up thread, I think this is an ill-fated effort for them.

Apple is a bit weird. Their entire corporate culture is to do a small number of things, really, really well. It’s a great philosophy that has served them well. Acquiring Beats headphones arguably fell within that philosophy.

But I agree that culture may not work for streaming content and especially for developing original content. There’s a lot of random variables; who knows what will click with audiences.

One of the series for Apple explores morning shows and the New York media scene with none other than Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston as hosts of a fictional morning news show. The former sisters on Friends will also serve as executive producers of the project. The series has already made its mark as one of the most expensive deals in TV history. Apple committed to two seasons, 20 episodes in total, at roughly $12 to $15 million per episode. As a reference point, the final season of Game of Thrones , one of the most expensive shows ever made, had an episode budget of $15 million.

That seems moronic… the show better be amazing

Get Crackin’ is genius, I don’t see why this couldn’t work. All comes down to the writing, I would love to see a more estrogenic morning rendition of The Larry Sanders Show for 2020.

This sounds like Apple is in way over their head negotiating these deals. They are getting bilked by the Hollywood system.

Hard to get a good bargain I guess when everyone knows you’re sitting on the world’s biggest money stash.