A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

Looks good to me. I assume there’s a free trail of Hulu that will let me see this?

So, some news on this one today.

The base, ad-supported tier of Paramount Plus, launching in June, will cost $4.99 per month — a dollar less than $5.99 per month for CBS All Access today. Paramount Plus’ premium tier, with no ads (except in live programming) will be the same, at $9.99 per month.

Those films will debut exclusively in theaters as planned. However, the studio has newly shortened the amount of time they will play exclusively on the big screen. After 45 days, new Paramount theatrical films will land on the budding streaming service Paramount Plus. Currently, “Mission: Impossible 7” is scheduled to release in theaters on Nov. 17 and “A Quiet Place Part II” is set for Sept. 17.

Let’s start with TV fans. Paramount Plus will carry a number of older popular shows, like SpongeBob SquarePants , as well as new originals based around popular franchises like Criminal Minds and The Godfather. Nickelodeon is launching an Avatar Studios to make more TV series and films based on the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra. Nickelodeon fans, Paramount Plus is also working on a live-action Dora the Explorer series and a live-action Fairly OddParents show.

Some of the original series announced today include a new Frasier revival with Kelsey Grammer set to reprise his role as Dr. Frasier Crane, and several series based on popular Paramount movies, including The Italian Job, Flashdance, and Fatal Attraction . A Criminal Minds revival — and all 15 seasons of the original CBS crime procedural — will also stream exclusively on Paramount Plus. Finally, a reboot of Inside Amy Schumer and a weekly spinoff of The Daily Show were also ordered.

These series join previously announced titles heading to Paramount Plus. The Offer , a limited series based on the making-of process behind The Godfather ; Lioness , a show about a young marine who is recruited to befriend a terrorist in order to bring down the organization; a reimagining of MTV’s Behind The Music; a documentary series based on FBI profilers; a revival of BET’s The Game; a new SpongeBob SquarePants series called Kamp Koral; and a new version of The Real World .

A sequel to Paranormal Activity? What a fresh and novel thing.

Sucks that galaxy brain aesthetes with the no commercials plan like myself won’t get a discount. Alas.

Frasier revival? I’ll definitely be interested.

New Dora the Explorer? Yes please. I love the map.

Italian Job tv series? Maybe. Has potential.

Flashdance tv series? Was that the one where Kevin Bacon encourages a town to liven up and dance? If so, yes please!

Fatal Attraction tv series? Hmmm, good potential for an anthology series actually. Maybe.

The Offer sounds cool.

Lioness maybe?

New Behind the Music? Yes!

New Real World? No thanks!

Did you miss out on a year for $10?

If so that might still be active.

No it’s the one where the steel worker becomes a dancer and the source of the famous water image that gets/copied spoofed.

Woah cool. I haven’t seen that.

It’s a shame they don’t have that on their service yet. It’s on Peacock Premium.

I found it to be an incredibly boring movie, especially considering the song that highlights it.

Yeesh, there’s like one original IP in there.

I missed part of this initially, but this is apparently being headed up by the original series creators, since they left Netflix’s live action production over a string of substantial creative differences and concerns.

Considering the last time Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko left a floundering live action production of Avatar material that eventually became little more than unrecognizable, terrible fan fiction in order to return to animation, we wound up with 4 seasons of Korra, I’m…pretty okay with this.

Good luck fucking with the Avatar fanbase, Netflix!

That reminds me I need to get back to Korra. Season 1 was amazing, but season 2 is off to a really slow start.

Had no idea there was a MODOK animated series coming starring Patton Oswalt!

That seems like a great idea but I’m not wild about the Robot Chicken style of animation.

I was sad that we lost several of the other series for The Offenders team-up series, but huzzah!

I actually ended up with a year and a half on that deal. It worked a few weeks ago and if its still active people should jump on it.

$10 is overpriced for a service with unskippable ads. It should be completely free.

Which service is that?

Hulu with ads, that’s what you guys were discussing isn’t it?

Hulu with ads is $6/month, but you can usually find it cheaper if you bundle it with other services (like Disney+ or Spotify). But I only get Hulu w/o ads, which is $12 a month.

But no, we were talking about Paramount+/CBS All Access. It will be $5/month with ads, $10 a month without ads. But there was a deal on CBS Sportsline recently where you could get 1 year 15 months for $10, and one of the perks of getting Sportsline is that you can get a year of Paramount+ without ads with it. Sportsline is some kind of online betting site.