A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

I mean, I wouldn’t drop HBO Max. But if I had to choose between ad supported HBO Max or waiting, I’d wait. (Especially since you wouldn’t get those theatrical movies with ad tier.)

Yeah, no interest in sitting through ads ever again for me.

I am with @pizzaddict and others. I am happy to check out my phone during the ad break.

And since most shows are designed to have ad breaks in them, I don’t feel like I am losing out from the experience. They all have the break scene, it just whether you get back to it after 90 seconds.

I can take the money I saved, and apply it to my mortgage payments, my retirement fund, or take my wife out to lunch.

Depends. The NBA league pass is the worst implementation of any sports streaming service. You pay a shit ton of money then get ads - right in the middle to the game. The ads either minimize the screen so the game is real small or play while the action is going on. If they did it during time outs, sure, fine. But if you are paying a premium plus interrupting mid-game for ads that is unacceptable. MLB doesn’t do this, ESPN+, iFollow they don’t do this. Plus the UI for NBA it terrible and often non-functional (it is slow, won’t rewind and often hangs after one of its intrusive commercials).

Sorry for the rant.

I don’t mind ads for sports as long as it doesn’t interrupt the game. I become less tolerant when I already pay a decent premium for the service.

No, it’s whether you’re bombarded by obnoxious repetitive bullshit lying to you for 90 seconds or not. Ads are so, so unpleasant. Even ones that are kind of clever get played 200x more than they continue to entertain.

You seem to be watching a lot more television then I do, if that is your experience.

Also, some times you get an ad with Ryan Reynolds.

It’s more that any time I am around someone who is willing to tolerate ads in their viewing (or try to play something for someone on my iPad) I’m reminded how intolerable they are. Especially on broadcast TV, but Youtube, Hulu, etc, all really suck when you let them play ads. So I don’t.

Paramount +

1 Month free code and one year at half off code.

Idea of what is on / coming to the service.

Oh that’s tempting, since I never went in on the Sportsline deal, which just felt too good to be true, even if it was very true for many of you! Yodalayheehoo, woo woo, etc.

Reno 911: The Hunt for QAnon? A Beavis & Butthead movie? Hells yes.

I really empathize with this

Goodbye TVision, we hardly knew you.

Yeah, good riddance. As I said upthread, I tried to sign up for it, but discovered it was a service only for T-mobile users.

Written from a local perspective however the point stands: if your team is stuck on a Sinclair-owned Regional Sports Network (the former Fox Sports networks) your options are to pay for cable or the $85/mo AT&T TV offering. Sinclair also said their standalone option won’t be launching until 2022.

I’d be happy to pay for a reasonable streaming option with live sports and it simply doesn’t exist.

The hour-long show will tackle a single topic in each episode, but interestingly, The Problem with Jon Stewart will not be released in a nightly or even weekly schedule, per the original press release. It sounds like Stewart will have the freedom to release an episode whenever he wants, which is likely the terms that convinced him to return to TV after his five-year hiatus away from the screen.

Locking topical shows behind service paywalls such that most people won’t see them seems pretty counter-productive from the standpoint of hosts who are trying to bring public attention to issues.

I’m guessing that just like with the Daily Show, Colbert, Seth Meyers, John Oliver, Bill Maher, etc, the main relevant topics in this new show will be put on youtube the day after it airs, so that the public attention to the topics is still there. It nicely solves that problem.

It partially solves that problem, but I still think the audience is meaningfully narrower. I mean, my septuagenarian parents used to go to bed watching Stewart’'s Daily Show, they’re certainly not hunting down clips of John Oliver on Youtube.