A new direction for Dawn of War 3

The reviews tend to be low play time and one of:

–It’s not DoW1, I hate it.
–it’s not DoW 2, I hate it.
–It’s a MOBA, I hate it.
–It only has three factions, I hate it.

I think any of these arguments are a bit colored by bias.

The MOBA comparison stuff is insane, but I guess some people think a map objective equals a whole genre. Forget the squads of units, base building, control groups, tech ups, or any of the actual stuff HAPPENING on the map, it’s a MOBA…cuz core. The way they borrowed from MOBA maps (turret and core) actually work well to create a bit of a comeback mechanic and keeps the fight going back and forth longer than most RTS games. Granted, some hardcore RTS folks (like that reviewer perhaps) prefer the traditional method where if one side gets an upper hand, they crush or pull the GG out of the other player then re-queue. I’ve had some amazing comebacks in the beta that never would have been possible in a base/peon rush RTS.

Lanes…there are only “lanes” if you see it that way. DoW2 had lanes, I guess. RTS map have always had routed movement. Usually with cross pathway options. The same is true here.

Heroes? The elites are strong with micro focus. Sure. All three games have them. When the enemy has an elite, it feels like fighting a game ending monster. When you have an elite, maybe even the exact same one, it feels like active skill bait that dies in seconds to line units. They are as they have always been, heavier single units that cycle in and out of the fight.

Like I said before. DoW3 splits the line across many ideas inside and out of the franchise. As such, there is a lot of opportunity to hate something. How does it sit as a product on its own? I don’t know, I have not had any time with retail and only some with the beta. But I do think the gut check Steam reviews that fit the above templates are not the most open minded of reactions.