A new direction for Dawn of War 3

I’m not sure that says much about how MOBAy it is. CoH certainly had its fair share of desperate and sometimes successful late game base rushes.

My impression from sitting around their forums is that people who liked DoW2 dislike 3 because units are too expendable, people who liked DoW1 dislike 3 because hero units are too powerful, and noone is entirely happy with the mp/skirmish power core/turret stuff.

basically, they are trying something new and it is familiar enough to entice but too new to be comfortable and they pitched it to an established audience who wanted more of the same.

In any case, I am about to buy it. I liked the previous games well enough although I don’t think they were perfect by any means.

from the beta, bearing in mind I didn’t play mp (so one could ask what the point of it was) the only things that made a bad impression on me were:

Gabriel Angelos is stupidly huge. Distractingly so.

No cover system, and it being replaced by mysterious shield points? Ditto “stealth” areas (although less so because it was abstract enough when Cyrus could move while cloaked in DoW2 anyway).

and not sure about this turret/powercore thing. Need to play more of that.

Lol now I am definitely buying:).

Chaplain, okay so if you lose everything outside your base you’re mostly done :)

That would be Warhammer 40k Inquisitor Martyr or something similar that I may be playing in a closed test of some sort ;)

you can save and reload mid-missions, you just have to manually do it.

Oh man, I totally forgot about that game. Yeah, I’ll be ponying up for that no doubt. Well, hopefully you will be released from NDA soon because I’d really like to hear about Martyr.

Yeah, I’m out. Micro heavy RTS is exactly what I don’t want. Give my a Warhammer 40K Kohan and I’ll be set for life though. ;)

well, I certainly regret my purchase then.

edit: in theory I do. I haven’t played it yet.

So, like… Dawn of War 2? There were heroes in there right?

I mean, I’m OK if it’s like DoW2

I loved DoW2, but I really don’t think it’s like DoW2, except in that abilities matter more than they did in DoW.

I’ve seen it described as the abilities “feeling” MOBA’ish. I mean, big, splashy, like ults that can easily “delete” a bunch of normal units, not like in DoW 2 were abilities were generally more subdued.

I think I’ll wait until deep discount or Last Stand, can’t deal with the micro / divided attention…

DoW2 deliberately had very low unit count and no base building so you could just focus on controlling your units though.

Maybe Relic will get in on the remastered craze and remaster DoW 1. Considering jumping in to this or Steel Division 1944.

This is just my opinion, but as an ancient (39) gamer I am finding it very difficult to maintain control over my army in this game. I much preferred the lower unit count in DoW2 for that reason. I suppose if I intend to continue I really really really need to be better about command and control groups, instantly adding produced units to same, muscle memory to select the proper groups and abilities in mid combat, etc etc.

Ouch.

That makes DoW2 more moba-y and DoW3 less, and the whole discussion was if having the heroes made it moba-y.

That was just a joke about RTS games being just for the kiddos :)

As an ancient (40) gamer, didn’t see anything wrong with your post… :D