A new direction for Dawn of War 3

I don’t know if this game will be that different from it’'s predecessors, but I can really never get enough DoW. It was the game that got me into RTS. There’s no series more fun to just zoom in and witness the carnage.

There’s a new DoW3 multiplayer beta sign up here:

https://test-project.reliclink.com/?r=sCyds

DISCLAIMER: That link supposedly boosts my place in line if 5 people use it. :)

EDIT: Oops. Apparently, their links are totally borked. The signup was sent to newsletter subscribers.

I don’t know if this link will work either (itr’s not a referral link), but maybe…?

https://sso.relic.com/4FB59CFB

link doesn’t work.

Yeah, that link is going to boost you 0 places in line for 100% sure. :)

Looks like this is dropping on 4/27.

Several sites have some sort of impressions, but I haven’t had a chance to read through anything yet. Here is the article I grabbed off RPS though, for your convenience!

I’m in! …in 2018 on sale after I buy a new videocard.

Wow, that seems… fast. For some reason I wasn’t expecting this for quite some time.

I’m interested in this game for sure. Dawn of War was one of my favorite RTS games, but Dawn of War 2 left me completely cold. I don’t know if I’ve ever had such a divergent opinion from the first game to it’s sequel (at least in the negative direction, I’ve played plenty of sequels that were significantly better than their predecessors). I’m hoping that Relic can recapture the magic that’s been missing for me since the first DOW and COH.

While I’m hopeful about the game in general, I don’t expect it to be much like DoW or CoH. The cover system in particular, which is my favourite thing about those games, seems to be entirely gone (after being massively nerfed in DoW2.

Yeah, my hopes aren’t exceptionally high or anything. The last two games they’ve released have been total duds for me. But with that being said, I don’t have any expectation that DOW3 will be like DOW or COH. I just hope it’s as good as those games were, for me. I’m okay with difference and change, I just didn’t like the direction of those changes in DOW2.

Hopefully third time is the charm. :)

looks like the closed beta has started, or they are at least letting them start to stream today

Who’s streaming? Doesn’t look like Quill18 or ImperialDane have put anything up.

Quill18 isn’t much known for his RTS coverage, is he? I’m not familiar with ImperialDave, though.

I just did a look on YouTube and there is indeed a lot of videos from a few hours ago, for anyone that wants to watch. Man, looking at YouTube channel names makes me feel old. SurrealBeliefs? MasterofRoflness? BigCris xGaMeRx?

ImperialDane does the PropagandaCast, which is one of the main CoH streams. Well, it’s usually commentary on replays rather than him streaming.

Reviews a week early! What is happening?!?!?!?!?

Average of 83 so far.

This paragraph from Polygon alone, made this a wait for me:

Missions ranged from resource capture to stealth to wave defense. While I found the campaign to be a useful way to familiarize myself with the game’s many systems, units and tactics, it’s also repetitive, with a few missions that are downright frustrating. I made much use of save games in order to get through the most enraging scenarios.

Also it does the SP campaign thing where you play different races to progress the story. Not a big fan of that, I like to play one race with some RPG elements of leveling them up.

Also alarming - no autosaves, so if you don’t make hard saves you can find yourself redoing an hour long mission from scratch.

I’m mostly interested in skirmishing with the AI, and elements of the single player seem appealing to me as well (plus it looks like a genuinely fun game to play), so I’m picking this up at some point, but it’s not making me want to ditch Zelda and drop money on it or anything. It may be some time before I dive in, but I’m going to be excited when I finally make the time, I think.

The RPS preview mentioned that units were extremely fragile and they did away with any sort of cover system. That’s disappointing to me, if true!

I hadn’t heard that, but me as well then. I watched some footage where the units were “throw away” and one site said it felt like Warcraft 3 (which I loved) but more and more it looks closer to a MOBA (which I am much less fond of).

Eurogamer:[quote]Down here in the genre’s trenches, DoW3 separates itself from the pack. It’s equal parts infuriating and enthralling, thanks to one of the most talked-about new modifications to the formula: an active ability system ripped from the strategy relative everyone loves to hate, the MOBA.

On the surface, it’s really just a few more active abilities for certain units, mapped to the QWER buttons in mimicry of how MOBA set up your abilities. It’s a painfully simple change, but this may be one of the best evolutionary tweaks to real time strategy that we’ve seen in some time, because whilst micromanagement is already pretty much everything in real time strategy, here it’s ramped up to even greater importance.[/quote]

The more I see and read about this game, the less interested I become. And I like DotA!