A new direction for Dawn of War 3

[quote=“Murbella, post:137, topic:65100, full:true”]
One can only hope. Although i pre-ordered, i was kind of disappointed in the number of factions. Hopefully they fill that out[/quote]

I think this is near garunteed.

This part though…

Amen to that. I was a bit disappointed with DoW2 precisely because of this. I had this uber game in my mind where the Imperial Guard would have various subfactions which would play out roughly the same as the CoH factions, and then ontop of that you’d get “OP” space Marines, where a single marine would be like they are in the lore, totally badass and almost like tanks onto themselves compared to human soldiers. The CoH formula could have been tweaked so well just to differentiate the different factions. Imagine the CoH maps with a faction that doesn’t care for territory, i.e. Eldar and who can warp around everywhere but who are pretty fragile.

Imagine Orks with the tech and the waagh effect.

Hell, as far as I am concerned, the defence of Charentan is a mission that still hasn’t been topped. To be fair though my favourite mission before that was the Starcraft one where you lost Kerrigan after defending the area for x amount of time.

I’ve got the dow3 beta but it’s mp and tbh I am reserving judgement because I prefer to mess around at my own pace instead of confronting another Human. It looks pretty enough and the army painter seems better. I haven’t quite got my head around doctrines and how they work, but my impression is that it seems a bit fiddly.

and you can’t rotate the camera either…a bit annoying that.

I’ve always been a fan of RTS in theory, but I can’t handle multiple units very well and always fall behind when buildings are involved. I really enjoyed DoW2 with the lack of building focus, and I like the idea of the elite units but I fear the game still has too much micro for me.

I finished the tutorials , is it not possible to rotate the camera?

So far its a weird RTS meets MOBA in my eyes, will try more tomorrow before the beta ends.

After more time with it, I am pretty much in the camp that Elites are the support to line units rather than the other way around. The exceptions are early game when there are very few units on the table or when people glob and don’t use terrain/ abilities. It is a hybrid of the first two games with other systems. There is a lot of this plus that going on which means anyone that loves this, but hates that is going to not be happy.

I also miss the old cover mechanic, the maps look so bland now.

The camouflage feature isn’t terrible. Man, the lack of an unlocked camera is a huge bummer. One of the main draws of this series is angling in for cool shots of the battle.

But between DoW and DoW2, it seems to me that everyone who loved this hated that…

The shields, stealth fields, and elevated terrain all play big parts in fights. There is a fair amount of play and counter-play to each. I don’t miss guys scooting around from dot to dot that just got run over by a Hive Tyrant anyway. I didn’t like DoW2 going from DoW1…until I did. I was at first not into DoW3 choices coming from 2, but having watched good streams and played MP myself, I am pretty sold on what they have done. There is a lot to like. Or not. Beholder and such. I will say that it’s a bit tough as far as first impressions go.

As I get older my clicks per second is getting closer to 1, or less, so micromanaging abilities is something I can’t deal with anymore. Will very sadly pass until it comes up for a 75% sale, which should be sometime next year hopefully?

I just don’t find it fun to click billions of times. It feels more like work than fun.

On the more to love or to hate front there is a fair amount of progression. Each elite can be leveled 10 times in an account. There are 9 elites per faction. Levels unlock things like skins, army painter colors, and doctrines. Doctrines are a gameplay element so… Not sure how fast progression moves. You CAN unlock stuff outside of multiplayer. You spend skulls (in game currency/ not micro transactions) which works besides the experience leveling, but not sure how.

Anyway. My beta experience started rocky, but ultimately sold me. I’m pre-loaded and waiting for Thursday. For the Emperor!

You’re not helping my resolve.

I pre-ordered and am loaded also, because reasons.

The last argument of Kings.

But only by playing the campaign, right? I didn’t seem to earn any skulls playing skirmishes, which is my preferred mode of RTSing. Also, can you earn skulls playing games with your friends, which is my other preferred mode of RTSing?

-Tom

Pretty disappointing if you can’t unlock skulls outside of the campaign.

Like… “will not buy” levels of disappointment, for me. I just want to skirmish against bots.

I thought of you specifically when watching their open beta launch stream. In the stream the community manager stated that skulls are earned in AI skirmishes and also the campaign. Furthermore…you get MORE skulls for higher difficulty settings. I can’t recall if it was specific towards comp stomp multiplayer or solo skirmish. The impression I took away was…if you play the game, skulls happen.

Obviously I can’t prove this yet, but that is what was said.