A new expansion pack for Battlefield 1942

From the press release:

EA AND DIGITAL ILLUSIONS ANNOUNCE DEVELOPMENT OF BATTLEFIELD 1942: SECRET WEAPONS OF WWII FOR THE PC

Award-Winning World War II Game Expansion Pack Ratchets Up Excitement With New Battlefields, Vehicles and Weapons

Requesting reinforcements! There are new battles to be fought and won. Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and Digital Illusions today announced that development is underway on the latest expansion pack for the award-winning Battlefield 1942 PC game series. Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII, scheduled for release in fall 2003, will significantly enhance the multiplayer combat experience by bringing the most unique and deadly weapons from the German and Allied laboratories to life on the battlefields of World War II.

From classified, cutting edge weapons to secret forces and clandestine places, Secret Weapons of WWII, will add a new level of drama and excitement to the Battlefield 1942 experience. The expansion pack will feature many new vehicles and weapons that were extremely powerful, yet experimental. While these armaments and vehicles are rooted in World War II history, many never saw actual combat-until now.

In Secret Weapons of WWII, players will engage in war with a choice of up to 46 vehicles to control. In addition to the 30 vehicles introduced in the original game such as fighter planes, tanks, and aircraft carriers, players can operate16 new vehicles including the Horton HO 229 “Flying Wing” that is equipped with 30 mm machine guns and missiles. Other vehicles consist of a US Sherman tank with a T-34 Calliope rocket launcher, U.S. T95/T28 Super Heavy Tank, the Sturmtiger (naval gun mounted on Tiger tank), U.S. Goblin jetfighter, C-47 cargo plane that will serve as a mobile spawn point, the American Armstrong Whitworth AW-52 advanced fighter, the German Wasserfall guided anti-air missile and the German Natter rocket plane. Also, for the first time, Secret Weapons of WWII will give players the chance to fly and fight at the same time with a top secret German prototype Rocket Pack.

There will be seven new weapons including one-shot kill knives. Other weapons include the Bren light machine gun, Remington Auto 5 shotgun and the Mauser K98 grenade rifle. Players can put these weapons to use in eight fresh World War II combat campaigns including Peenemüende, a V2 research facility, and The Eagle’s Nest, Hitler’s hideaway. All new battlefields offer unique settings ranging from nightfall during the summer in Prague to a winter battle in Norway.

In addition to offering innovative weapons and vehicles, the game introduces British Commando and German Elite troops while enriching gameplay by adding a new “objective based” gameplay mode. In this new mode, players will be tasked with a specific objective such as destroying a secret facility in order to win the battle.

Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII is being developed by Digital Illusions Canada, a subsidiary of the original Battlefield 1942 Sweden based developer, Digital Illusions. Electronic Arts will publish and distribute the game for the PC under the EA GAMES™ brand worldwide. The original Battlefield 1942 game is required to play Secret Weapons of WWII. More information can be found on the game’s web site at www.battlefield1942.ea.com.

Y’know, one of the reasons I really liked BF1942 is because it didn’t have an abundance of rocket launchers and it didn’t have a fucking rocket pack. Sorry guys but I’m not looking forward to getting Tribes all over my favorite team based on-line fps.

Leave it to the candians to come up with a new direction. Might be fun, might suck. Hopefully this “subsidiary” is as good as the original guys.

After playing Desert Combat, which already utilizes a lot of these types of weapons, I think this is going to be great. This is a great gaming engine, and its potential is just awesome. Bring on the F*ck Star Wars expansion pack. Finally we can play the Battle of Hoth like it was supposed to be played!

And the idea I saw mentioned on PA makes this expansion sound even better.

It won’t be changing the original game. The new maps will be the only ones using the new guns/vehicles. So you can play the game both ways after buying the expansion. That works for me.

Two words that make baby jeebus cry; jet pack.

The Goblin? The XF-85?

Are they going to include a B-36 to launch from?

Mauser K98 grenade rifle

This right here kills it. The gernade kids that hang our near the ammo boxes are bad enough.

You know what would fucking rock? If this expansion had flaming skulls!

I’m sure they will. Otherwise they’d lose their realism cred.

This just in:

EA AND DIGITAL ILLUSIONS ANNOUNCE DEVELOPMENT OF BATTLEFIELD 1942: QUEST FOR THE $100 GAME

Award-Winning World War II Game Expansion Pack Proves Developers Out of Cogent Ideas for New Battlefields, Vehicles and Weapons, and are Just Milking It.

There are new, illogical battles to be fought and won. Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and Digital Illusions today announced that development is underway on yet another expansion pack for the award-winning Battlefield 1942 PC game series. Battlefield 1942: Quest for the $100 Game, scheduled for release in spring 2004, will significantly enhance the cost of acquiring their multiplayer combat experience while bringing nothing useful or logical to the battlefields of World War II.

Scraping the bottom of the creative barrel in a senseless effort to milk a good idea, Quest for the $100 Game will add a new level of nonsense and earnings to the Battlefield 1942 experience. The expansion pack will feature many new vehicles and weapons that are extremely powerful, and unbalance the game. While these armaments and vehicles have no connection to World War II history, they will be included anyway.

In Quest for the $100 Game, players will engage in war with a choice of up to 96 vehicles to control. In addition to the defensibly logical 30 vehicles introduced in the original game and the credibility-pushing second expansion pack, players now can operate 50 new vehicles including any old crap we could dig up, including a UFO equipped with plasma cannons and photon torpedoes. Other vehicles consist of a US CeeBee Combat Bulldozer with Frikkin’ Laser Beams, the Wright Flyer equipped with a 16" battleship cannon, and an '82 Buick Regal with hydraulic suspension and MAC-10.

There will be seven new weapons to help players unbalance the game, including one-shot kill knives, one-shot kill pistols, one-shot kill rifles, one-shot kill submachineguns, one-shot kill machineguns, fire-n-forget one-shot kill seeker missiles, and a James Bond™ 007™ Nightfire™-style™ laser wristwatch (capable of cross-map one-shot kills™).

Keep the channel clear for the announcement of our next expansion pack, “Battlefield 1942: Release an SDK? Are You Kidding? Fuck Off.”

That was awesome. Thanks for the laugh.

Last I checked they had delayed the alpha release because of various issues including trouble animating the AT-AT, although apparently they do have the AT-ST going.

Its all about implementing the grappling hook cannons on the snow speeders. If they can make that smooth and enjoyable, then we’re talking Expansion pack GOTY.

http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/af/content/battle_hoth

I agree about desert combat being amazing. Whoever mentioned on here a week or so ago, thanks. I have been hooked. Ducking under the bridges with a jet at 3x the previous speed is very cool. The new mobile anti-air is a good counter.

Chet

EA, its in the game… er expansions. Could BF42 turn into 6 map expansions every few months? who knows… Desert whatever is supposed to be an expansion now… thats BF 42 xpack 3… maybe Tribes BF42 will be xpack 4. Maybe they will give the right guns to the right nations in xpack 5. And maybe then they release BF42 with xpansion 1 as BF42 deluxe…

etc