A new XBox

I’ve been planning to buy the new version with 4gb installed drive and then use an 80gb usb drive I’ve got sitting idle for the game installs. Is that doable? I heard the new Halo game doesn’t work with that set up? Are other games in the future going to work off usb drives? Or am I just off base?

That does not work. Only 16 gigs of that 80 gig drive will be available for memory usage, which will let Halo Reach’s co-op work. It’s only the no hard drive,installed memory only Xbox Slim’s that will not work with Halo’s co-op. YOu should be fine, but just understand you’ll only have 16 gigs.

I’m sure that’s true. I got the full sized 40gb, which i believe was the first die-shrunk model.

I’m just surprised he can hear his Xbox from upstairs over the moans of his harem of Victoria’s Secret models.

Thanks for the info! That seems really odd that they’d bother to let people use USB drives but limit the size to 16gb. I may need to reconsider.

How crucial is the install-to-hard drive option, these days?

I’ve never installed anything to the hard drive on either my old elite or my 250gb slim, actually. I’ve never found load times excessive.

Another benefit of installing is the dvd drive not getting used as much, which apparently is one of the major reasons, except for the RROD of hardware failures.

That’s a valid point. I remember my elite sometimes needed encouragement for the drive to open.

It can make a pretty substantial difference, especially with newer games that seem to take it for granted. More than anything, though, it makes operation much quieter on older models. I have a Falcon and a whatever came after Falcon, and while they are not excessively loud with a disc the difference is marked enough that it’s always my first move with a new game.

My first 360 slim seemed to be almost perfectly quiet, but maybe that’s just because I was used to my old loud one. My second 360 slim which replaced the first one when it went belly-up seems a bit louder.

My 60 gb backwards-compatible PS3 is loud as hell. I’ve tried vacuuming out and blowing out dust, but the fan always spins like crazy. It makes the unit useless as an SACD player and marginal as a Blu-Ray player.

You had a 360 slim go bad on you already? What happened? I’ve been considering getting one of these, but only if they aren’t as ridiculously broken as the previous models.

Not to go too far off topic, but my launch-era (bought as refeurbished) 60Gb PS3 is whisper quiet still; sounds like something is wrong with other people’s? And yes, I know the fan is running, I can feel the stream of hot air coming out the back.

At least…quiet compared to my old 360; I can barely hear the PS3 fans in an otherwise dead-quiet room. The 360 was a loud roar, DVD and fan both.

Sold the old 360, waiting to get a new 360 slim for a few more months; might get a wii or move or something instead, want to see how things shake out this holiday season.

Not sure if this is allowed (cross posting), but I’m having a few problems with mine. Anyone with a mac care to help me out?

360 Slims are already dying? I wanted to get one of those since i heard the stories of the older ones dying alot and there is no warranty in my country.

Cyrano’s is the first 360 slim I’ve personally heard of dying. And there are a LOT of them where I work. Any device is going to have some failure eventually.

On the side discussion, my 60GB PS3 definitely gets louder when it’s working hard. This worries me because I have the hardware back-compatibility, and my kid and I play PS2 stuff at least as much as we do PS3 titles. There was an article two years ago stating that Sony couldn’t guarantee it could repair launch consoles for an extended time, and if this thing fails, one of the feature-stripped newer PS3 models wouldn’t be an equivalent replacement…

Wasn’t there some news about sony developing a ps 2 adapter thingy?

I know it’s not as good as a backwards-compatible PS 3, but it would permit you to keep playing your ps 2 games with your son.

Well, hopefully the PS3 will keep going… Gotta try my copy of Unholy War on it and see if it still works.

I’m assuming that my Slim was just part of the regular small percentage of all products that are defective. The DVD drive initially started making a humming, vibrating noise which I could silence by pressing on the sides of the console. After a few days, it got really loud and pressing on the sides stopped working. It seems like something just wasn’t put together quite right.

I’ve had really weird luck. My launch 360 lasted years while everyone else’s broke, and my slim broke right away while everyone else’s is perfect.

Well, you’re in luck. The Unholy War is a PS1 title and will play on any PS3!

I’ve just noticed this exact problem, and my 360S is less than 2 months old (Reach branded console.) If I play a game that’s installed off the hard drive it’s fine since the disk doesn’t have to spin but when I play a game not installed it sounds like something is vibrating inside the disk drive and it gets louder the longer I play the game. I really hope this isn’t a sign of it dying.