A peaceful solution to Saddam?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/15/sprj.irq.protests.main/index.html

What are people thinking? 12 years of peace hasn’t brought a peaceful solution. I despise the fact that it’s Dubya going into Iraq, you know, maybe it would be more believable that this isn’t about oil if the leader pushing for war wasn’t an oil tycoon himself… But seriously. “Let’s not drop bombs on our brothers and sisters in Iraq.” =/

Besides, we’re way past the point of no return. If Bush backs down now, it’ll be worse than losing in Vietnam. It’ll have Arab leaders crawling to Saddam, start a wave of Arab empowerment movements (no, I’m not talking citizenry, I mean dictatorships) and probably have worse terrorist consequences than a victory in Iraq.

Jesus Christ. If Hitler had just put off his plans for a few years the Nazis would own everything by now. This ‘Peace at all cost’ bullshit is like refusing to take antibiotics because you think your body can reach a peaceful resolution with the flu germs.
‘As long as nothing is happening to ME, then we should do nothing to them.’ Self-serving, near sighted, cowardly hypocrites.

Huge numbers of morons crowd city streets to protest something they apparently don’t understand. Must be a weekend.

Well, I am encoraged by the protests. God forbid the most powerful nation in the world should decide to invade another nation state and there were no protests.

God forbid we should use our constitutionally protect freedom of speech to bitch about them.

Check.
Mate.

Sidenote: France has just made it illegal to burn their flag.

God forbid we should use our constitutionally protect freedom of speech to bitch about them.

Check.
Mate.

Sidenote: France has just made it illegal to burn their flag.[/quote]

Well, you win again, Cap’n! ;)

If Hitler had just put off his plans for a few years the Nazis would own everything by now.

Godwin’s law, you lose, end of thread. Excuse me, now that I read more, apparently you don’t lose, it’s just that the thread is useless. Congratulations, it only took two posts!

If you’re really bored, a fun game to play is Six Degrees of Godwin.
Take a topic - any topic - and see how quickly you can relate it to Nazis
using legitimate topic drift methods. For example: a discussion about
computers will eventually lead to discussions of keyboards and which are
best, followed by a lot of complaining about the Windows key on 104-key
keyboards, leading to complaints about Microsoft, forcing the standard
MS-vs-government flamewar that I’m sure you’re all aware of, leading to
attacks on Microsoft’s “fascist” tactics by one side or another, which
will force the other side to start talking about the differences between
fascism, capitalism, and, of course, Nazism! The fun never stops!

Oh yes: hypothetically, “we don’t want Bush to invade Iraq, but we want him to get rid of Saddam through peaceful means” is another perfectly valid criticism.

Godwin’s law doesn’t apply in this situation. He wasn’t naming anyone a Nazi or Hitler, just using the historical example of what appeasement created.

Read the faq. Any mention counts.

Not true. What is true however, is that the faq says jumping in and yelling “YUO LOOSE THREADS OVAR” is idiotic.

Is there a law about Jeff K-isms?

That’s why I said “on further inspection,” genius.

Heh, one fourth of the posts in this useless thread were made by Jason McCullough. :shock: :wink:

Unemployment gives me lots of free time!

I’m sorry, I don’t follow rules set up by random internet strangers who are HUGE fans of the Final Fantasy series.
The rules don’t cover what happens when it’s an extremely accurate and pertinent comparison, the parallels are so obvious even I can see them. Absolutely NO good can come of backing off and letting Saddam do whatever he wants. Only tragedy that will cause more blame to splash on the U.S. as usual. We either act NOW and lose a few thousand total (number to be inflated by bleeding hearts and other crazed dictators.) Or we back off and wait for Saddam to blow the shit out of millions, the U.S. gets blamed for being too soft on him the first time, and France and Germany starts the ‘We must act NOW’ battle cry as they march in first…behind the U.S. troops. At that point America is screamed at for being too harsh. And people STILL protest.
I’m not a political person, I just have common sense up the wazoo, I don’t CARE who does the actions that need to be done, as long as they get done. If I get stabbed in the face I’m not gonna say ‘Somebody pull it out! But not YOU!!’. ALL I want is what’s best for the United States, and right now what’s best is force.

Are you saying you’re smarter than Godwin? Ha!

I think he’s saying he’s smarter than you.

If he’s so smart, how come he can’t argue the case without referring to Hitler?

I didn’t say he was smart - I just thought it was an appropriate comback :)

Oh shut up Jason, Christ you’re as bad as Hitler…