A Penny Arcade strip you like and why

I liked that one, but I was disappointed when I found the point being zoomed in on in the first shot (bottom left) and the incriminating tableau was not visible.

Well I heard that grave digging has been disabled for now. Too many headstones had EA personnel names on them.

I’m just going to link to today’s because it’s hella NSFW. But goddamn is that funny.

Edit: AAAA I just visited the game’s site. Gabe is way understating the boobs in his drawing. The size, shape, and in particular animation cross the line from appealingly exaggerated to just fucking gross.

The female barbarian with the axe in particular looks like she was modeled by Rob Liefeld. Weirdly angular butt, broken back, and water balloon breasts.

There’s a whole exchange behind the comic. Jason Schreier of Kotaku wrote a flippant remark in the text of a news post showing the Dragon’s Crown trailer. He made fun of how immature and insulting the art for the Sorceress was.

As you can see, the sorceress was designed by a 14-year-old boy.

This caused a kneejerk gamer comments shitstorm and the game’s creator came back at him with a none-too-subtle homosexual joke. Jason wrote a pretty good rebuttal: The Real Problem With That Controversial, Sexy Video Game Sorceress [UPDATE]

I’d never seen wall-eyed buttcheeks before…

The PA Report article on this was, I think, spot-on.

Edit: And yeah, it’s amazing how Gabe’s rendition of the character is actually significantly more modest. It’s like he didn’t want to damage his ability to draw female forms in order to execute something that closely resembled the character in the game.

Let’s take a step back from the social justice aspect of this kind of artwork and deal with the fact 9 year-old girls find it stupid.
Lots of people find it stupid. You can head off all the self-righteous justifications and rationalization by simply pointing and saying “that looks really dumb.”

It was the sentences before and after that, actually, that really summed it up for me:

When my daughter remarks on how stupid the clothing is in a game, it annoys me not because I worry about her becoming a strong woman - that shit’s going to happen regardless, at least if the first nine years are any indication - but because I’d love to play adventure games where I don’t feel weird inviting her to play. Let’s take a step back from the social justice aspect of this kind of artwork and deal with the fact 9 year-old girls find it stupid. I’d love for her to see games and want to be these women, not simply recoil at the fact they’re designed for my eyes more than her power fantasies.

I’m a big fan of T&A, being that that part of my brain is still 14 years old. I also think we might have had a Mirror’s Edge 2 if only Faith had had bigger boobs.

However, that artwork is absolutely terrible and disturbing.

Just go play devil’s advocate: Does every game have to have artwork where you feel comfortable asking your nine-year-old daughter to play? Aren’t there plenty of games already out there that satisfy this requirement?

Actually, he specifically says that his problem isn’t the existence of games with objectifying art, but the market dominance of them and difficulty of finding counter-examples.

I thought that argument was really week. This whole controversy comes across a lot like the infantilization of the entire industry. "Games need to ‘grow up’ and not produce games with comically (intentionally) exaggerated erotic art styles! Overt sexual representations have no place in games made for adults because they’re sexist or something!

“Oh, and don’t forget to read our weekly Game of Thrones reviews. This week we wonder what Poderick did to those whores!”

I also thought the reaction to George Kamitani’s response joke was really uncharitable as well. A lot of people decided to read it as “you must be a fag, you stupid fag”, when I think the artist never intended it to be more than a teasing, “sorry, is this more your speed?”

In order to un-jack this thread, I just wanted to say I enjoyed the series preceding the Dragon’s Crown comic, “Emulator.” No real standout jokes, it was just really sweet to see how Gabe & Tycho bond with Gabe’s son over his RPG and how Tycho really gets (too) into it. Plus I totally want to play a Warrior-Jumper before it gets nerfed.

Yes, the last comic in that series was really cute.

Yeah, that series was fantastic. Last weekend I had a tabletop RPG session and asked if I could reroll Warrior-Jumper.\

I also agree that Kamitani’s comment seemed a bit innocuous. It was so politely phrased (I’m guessing that has to do with English not being his native language) that I thought it was pretty funny too.

The new one is hilarious, after playing the game coop I can relate:

Not all moles are like that. Some like us, we just want to dig holes everywhere. Theres a door? fuck that door, we dig a hole trought the wall next to it.

The mole is a more practical Theseus that will just dig trought walls to the exit avoiding the minotaur.

Monaco is a average game.

[QUOTE=Teiman

Monaco is a average game.[/QUOTE]

And?.