a short film thread

Happy you enjoyed it, Dave! I recently watched American Honey, which had a terrific lead performance from Sasha Lane and did some really interesting things like creating musical moments in everyday settings, but it lacks the emotional punch of Wasp. I had to rewatch it to see if it was as strong as I remembered.

Two horror shorts from other threads

AM1200

Curve

Interface Part 1

Weirdly beautiful and I feel like I’ve lit up some psychological litmus test in saying so.

Let’s bring out more short films!

I watched this alien invasion short from the District 9 guy with none other than an Alien queen killer Sigourney Weaver. It’s pretty grim.

The oats studio stuff is great, I just wish more of them became full movies.

Firebase was cool, I wanted to see the rest of the movie.

Proud professor alert: a screenwriting student I taught some years back named Talia Smith won Gold in the 2020 Student Academy Awards for writing and directing a short film called Umama.

Take it away Spike!

I didn’t make the cut in this edited version of her acceptance, but I can now say that it feels really nice to be thanked in an Oscar speech! How cute is that footage of her pretending to accept an Oscar as a young girl?

Here’s the film which is based on her personal experience living with her domestic worker while growing up in South Africa.

I was in Rian Johnson’s class when he made this film at USC. Some guy stood up at the screening and said “You are the future of cinema!” or something like that. Johnson, rather befuddled, said “Thank you.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwAqgkBehxg

Here’s Robert Zemeckis’s student film, ‘The Lift,’ which he made at USC in 1972. I think it was filmed in the famous Bradbury Building of ‘Blade Runner’ fame.

Ha! That’s awesome.

Those were good! Do you have a link to your short film (if everyone made one)?

We all made lots of shorts, but mine aren’t online. Most are moldering in a box somewhere on Super 8mm film. I did transfer my advanced project to DVD if memory serves, but it doesn’t look very good because it was shot on VHS (maybe SVHS) rather than 16mm (we did half-and-half in our class). Maybe I’ll see if I can throw it online one of these days.

Also the best Outer Limits episode, Demon with a Glass Hand

And Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s greeting card office in (500) Days of Summer!

In celebration of the 50th anniversary of Godzilla v. Hedorah
https://youtu.be/OaDfDKIQY5k

anyone watched this Saul Bass short film? I found it on my Phase IV special edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxqN0tGyLRI

In this scifi film, people age from birth to death in 8 days. I liked it, because it is so strange. Like science fiction done right. A lot of SF is just too close too our own reality.

I remember quite liking Zach Wood’s short David when film festivals were still a thing in NZ:

My Year Of Dicks was nominated but didn’t win Best Animated Short, but is online on Vimeo.

Not Safe For Work, as the title implies.

Thanks for posting that. So creative.

Hey, I’ve been completely unsuccessful in finding a VERY short film I saw a few years ago that really creeped me out. When I first saw it, it seriously scared me, and I was sure I’d never want to watch it again, but I’ve now changed my mind. Anyway, it is VERY short, maybe a minute or two, but it is an underwater hand-held camera of a diver diving to the bottom of a lake (I presume) with some kind of shipwreck that has a hand/ankle cuff attached to it. I think I remember the diver unlatching the handcuff devise when a strange, creepy creature comes out of nowhere and shackles the diver, leaving him to die. It seriously creeped me out, and I think I might want to watch it again if I can find it. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Probably this? Jeez, that was scary! Especially when the YouTube stream stopped in the middle for no reason. Best watched in a bathtub in the dark.

I googled “short movie diver handcuff underwater” and got nothing, then tried “short scary movie diver handcuff underwater” and got it.

Yep, that’s it! Thanks, but Yikes, it’s just as scary the second time!