A Shortlist Of Great PS2 Games

The “new convert” list of PS2 games ala scharmers:

1. Culdcept. Oh yeah, baby. But, like has been subtlely mentioned by myself and others in this and other threads: the computer is a fucking cheater. Big time. Perfect rolls like all the time. Still an awesome game though.

2. Champions of Norrath. Diablo 2. On a console. OF THE FUTURE!

3. Tony Hawk games. I recommend starting at 3 and going up from there.

And while Extarbags is, like, an idiot for calling the GTA3+ games “overrated” (hint: not liking a wildly popular game does not make it “overrated”. That’s like me calling KOTOR “overrated”…which it is, naturally, because I say so.), I didn’t like VC on the PS2 because of the damn controller. VC is filled with tweaky shooting galleries and the gamepad just doesn’t cut it. Mouse and keyboard are perfect. So, if you want the GTAs, skip the consoles and get them for the PC. They are must haves.

I’d recommend Dark Cloud 2, but the game got inexplicably tedious for me after the 2nd village. Weird. The game is definitely a time sink, that’s for sure.

1. DOA2: Hardcore. I like fighters, but I’m not good at them at all. DOA2 suitably rewards my frenzied button-mashing with appropriate results (as opposed to VF Evolution). Plus it has b00bies going kaboing kaboing kaboing.

There’s my big golden shower of PS2 hits.

–scharmers

I’m still puzzled by extarbags’ cryptic “Did you ever play the original?” comment. Does he mean GTA1? If so, why would he ask that?

Because GTA III is essentially the same game in 3D?

–Dave

Which of the two games have you not played, Dave?

I can’t stree enough how bogus this statement is.

GTA3 and Vice City are miracles of gaming, and are easily two of the best games ever made.[/quote]

That doesn’t make my opinion bogus, actually.[/quote]
It’s only my opinion that your opinion is bogus. :roll:

So it’s extrabags’ opinion that the GTA games are overrated to HIM. Saying something is overrated is just another way of trying to justify to everyone that your opinion is different than the vast majority’s. “I feel this way and everyone else feels differently becasue they’re misguided.”

As for Mr. Long’s comment about GTA3 being “essentially the same game in 3D”, that’s pretty much like saying Sega’s Tennis 2K2 is the same as Pong. Sure, the objective’s the same, but the experience is changed substantially because of the 3D element.

I really don’t know why people are having so much trouble understanding this concept: the GTA games are huge sellers that got great reviews. Most people value them highly. And yet, I think they are godawful rehashes of a game that got tired in three weeks the first time they made it. Why wouldn’t I say they’re overrated?

And stop trying to refute it. Christ, it’s all a matter of opinion, geniuses. If I said a game was good that you didn’t like, would you expect me to offer proof that I’m “right?” It’s an opinion. Opinions don’t require proof or justification. God.

As for Mr. Long’s comment about GTA3 being “essentially the same game in 3D”, that’s pretty much like saying Sega’s Tennis 2K2 is the same as Pong. Sure, the objective’s the same, but the experience is changed substantially because of the 3D element.

Very debatable, as the entire reason I hate GTA3/VC is because the 3d element doesn’t seem to add anything at all.

If you can’t back up your opinion with anything it has no value to others. If it has no value to others why bother stating it in a public forum?

And, for the record, the “everybody is crazy but me” argument isn’t helping…

dons the extarbags hat

Waaaaaah! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah! “It’s MY opinion! You can’t refute it!” :sniffle: “YOU DON’T HAVE THAT RIGHT YOU BIG MEANIE!”

takes dunce cap off

Your opinion, yes. That’s fine. Frankly, I don’t care. I think your opinion is idiotic and I’m pretty sure I have just as much a right to trash it as you have to present it.

Frankly, I sense alot of passive-agression in all your posts.

Eesh, no crap. All I was saying was that your opinion is not fact, as you presented it, extrabags. I’m not trying to “refute” anything. I just don’t understand your use of the term “overrated”, which seems to say that the tons of people who like the game are somehow wrong.

I find this thread content terribly overrated.

Not great, but well worth getting is Namco’s Killswitch. The controls are practically identical to Socom, in other words they have a steep initial learning curve, but feel natural after about two hours of play. The game is a lot of fun. It is single player only, but still very good.

extarbags is objectively correct because I agree with him. The rest of you are wrong.

Also, it’s funny that a couple of people lost interest in Dark Cloud 2 after 10 hours or so because that’s been my experience as well. Maybe only those who have steeled themselves by finishing Flying Heroes can fully appreciate DC2? :wink:

Oh, she’s serious enough. It’s just that I have a good twenty years head start on her.

What gameplay issues should I warn her about?

[size=2][edited because, amazingly, I temporarily forgot how to spell years.][/size]

Hino motors

Well, some of the things TRexDx touched on. Only, you need to remove all the “Welfare Man’s DrCrypt” hyperbole from it.

I agree with Theodore that the gummi ships were terrible. I hated that part of the game. But I liked the combat. Yes, it was simplistic in many ways, but there were spells, skills, etc. I felt like my character developed in the game and I really enjoyed the puzzles, platforming and the basic story. I have always liked Disney movies, and playing through some of them was a lot of fun to me. I would have liked to have played a Lion King world (over, say the Tarzan world), but I liked what I got. I especially enjoyed the Arabian world and the Neverland world…the flying was easy to control and somehow felt liberating.

There…that’s why I liked the game.

Devil May Cry
Rachet and Clank
Virtua Fighter 4: Evo
GT3 A-Spec
Culdcept

Oh, and Time Splitters 2 was really great. I can’t believe that just a single person has recommended it so far!

A few more:

Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution - Greatest fighter ever made.

Ico - Just to emphasize that yes, you must play this game.

Rez - Import the TranceVibrator. Trust me.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers/Return of the King - Two great hack and slashers. If you like the movies, grab these immediately.

Silent Hill 2 - The earlier poster who said SH2 is light on scares is correct. There are very few jump-scares or “Yikes!” moments in the game. That’s because SH2 is character-driven, relies on atmosphere and revelation to create its sense of fear, and never quite lets you feel like you know everything. Most other horror games hit you over the head with the proverbial 2x4 of terror. SH2 gives you food poisoning and watches you suffer with a smile on its face. The best horror game made to date.

Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus - In addition to Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter, pick this one up. Beautiful animation, intensely well-designed levels, and just a masterwork of platforming. I wish these guys would make a new game.

Kya: Dark Lineage - Pretty nifty little platformer that can be had cheap now. Many of the girls I know have gotten into this one, so it may be one to try your wife on.

Gitaroo Man - Just because it’s the weirdest damn thing you’re likely to play on the system.

GTA Double Pack - Despite all the “STFU!” screaming, extarbags is right when he says the GTA games are overrated. I might not agree normally, but I’ve had so many goddamned people call them “The Best Game Ever!” who have played GTA, Gran Turismo, and maybe Pac-Man back in '82, that I can’t honestly say they deserve the praise so many people pile on them. That said, they are indeed great games, and everyone should play them, if only to see what all the fuss is about. You also get a ridiculous amount of value in this package. $40 for two games that will probably take you the better part of 100 hours to finish.

Suikoden Series - If you like the RPGs, go find copies of Suikoden I & II for the PSone (they’ll play in the PS2, of course), and Suikoden III, and get to it.

Vandal Hearts II - Another PSone game, but a great strategy title with one of the most brutal stories I’ve seen in a console game.

Well, if we are including PS1 games (I didn’t know), then get Final Fantasy Tactics. That’s the best console game I have ever played. And I have to say I hated Vandal Hearts 2, but I liked the first one. The second one had that whole weapons=jobs thing going on, which I don’t like at all. It was confusing…not in a good way. Of course, just because I didn’t like it doesn’t mean you won’t.