A solo Ironsworn: Starforged run

We interrupt this AAR to bring an update from @BiggerBoat to those waiting for their Starforged KS delivery in North America:

US / Canada

The container ship arrived in New York harbor last week, but has been frustratingly anchored and not moving. I suspect it is waiting a berth due to port congestion. Once it finally is unloaded, our Starforged cargo will travel via truck or rail to the port of Baltimore, and then to the fulfillment hub in Maryland. It’s difficult to say how long this process will take, but I suspect we are still looking at October-November fulfillment for backers in the US and Canada. More info when we have it!

Shawn I think we could mount a QT3 expedition to sail out to to the container ship and board it like pirates to seize the cargo that is being held hostage. Whaddya think?

It just docked! Now we just need the longshoremen to unload it!

Haha. Yeah, literally 5 minutes after I posted that update, it started moving and is now berthed. If i knew I had that sort of power, I would have posted days ago.

I’m pretty sure it was the threat of a Qt3 pirate expedition that got them moving.

I mean, who wouldn’t be threatened by the appearance of a bunch of pudgy, middle-aged nerds blinking into the sunlight? “Get off my lawn!” would be the battle cry heard for, oh twenty feet at least.

Oh my, this was not the thread update I expected. But if it means more of these wonderfully weird AARs, I’m all for it!

[ed. note: I got distracted by another Stellaris run; this time the galaxy was saved from three extragalactic crises by the immortal god-king of a dictatorship of space necromancers]

Journey into the Forest
  • Undertake a journey. 7, 8 vs 5 + 2 (wits) = 7: Miss. Pay the price: 86: It wastes resources. -1 supply (now 3).

• Undertake a journey. 6, 10 vs 6 + 2 (wits) = 8: Weak hit. -1 supply (now 2). Mark progress (now 9).

• Reach your destination. 2, 3 vs 9 (progress). Strong hit. +1 to next move.

Gethin and Pebble wander fruitlessly, seeking a harrow spider. Supply is running low, but Gethin must be reaching his destination soon. Something about the forest has changed. He doesn’t see anything obvious, but the wildlife seems skittish.

Indeed, crouching in the shadows, carefully watching the canopy, Gethin catches a glimpse of a spider above. Fortunately, there seems to be only one. Now if only he can circle around to get around to separate it from where the others might be…

The Fight Begins
  • Secure an advantage (stealth). 1, 5 vs 5 + 1 (wits) + 1 (prior) = 7. Strong hit. +1 to next move.
  • Leech. 3, 8 vs 6 + 2 (iron) + 1 (prior) = 9. Strong hit.
  • Enter the fray (ambushing). 9, 10 vs 6 + 1 (wits). Miss. Lose initiative.

Gethin motions for Pebble to draw the spider’s attention while he circles around and silently prepares the blood rune. The staff practically hums, feeding off Gethin’s anticipation, as the spider creeps down toward Pebble, and Gethin toward the spider.

Gethin mistimes his attack, and the sling bullet strikes the branch where the spider was… before it leapt onto Pebble.

The Spider's Counterattack
  • Companion Endure Harm (2). Pebble at 2 health. 4, 7 vs 4 + 2 (health) = 6. Weak hit.
  • Clash (staff/simple weapon). 5, 9 vs 4 + 3 (edge) + 1 (long-arm) = 8. Weak hit. +1 momentum (long-arm, now 7). 1 harm (2 progress). 1 harm to Gethin, 1 to Pebble.
  • Companion Endure Harm (1). Pebble at 1 health. 6, 7 vs 6 + 1 (health). Weak hit.
  • Endure Harm (1). Gethin at 3 health. 6, 6 vs 3 + 3 (health) = 6. Miss, match. -1 momentum (now 6).
  • Face danger (edge). 1, 6 vs 1 + 3 (edge): Weak hit. 1 harm.
  • Endure Harm (1). Now at 2 health. 8, 9 vs 3 + 2 (iron) = 5. Miss. -1 momentum (now 5).

Pebble howls as the spider’s fangs sink in. Gethin runs up, screaming, staff at the ready. He pries the spider off Pebble, the fangs ripping out, but it latches on to Gethin instead, knocking him to the ground.

Gethin rips himself free of the spider, but is unable to regain his footing. He desperately grabs his staff as it scuttles on top of him.

The Tables Turn
  • Clash (staff/simple weapon). 1, 9 vs 3 + 3 (edge) + 1 (long-arm) = 7. Weak hit. +1 momentum (long-arm, now 6). 1 harm (2 progress, now 4) to spider. 2 harm to Gethin.
  • Endure Harm (2). Now at 0 health. 1, 3 vs 2 + 2 (iron) = Strong hit. Embrace the pain: +1 momentum (now 7). Take initiative.
  • Strike (staff/deadly weapon). 6, 6 vs 5 + 2 (iron) = 7. Strong hit, match. 5 harm (2 deadly weapon, 2 leech, 1 strong hit) = 10 progress. +5 health (now 5). Leech dissipated.
  • End the fight. 2, 5 vs 10 progress. Strong hit.

The harrow spider bites Gethin again, but in the leg. He bashes it with his staff, sending it sprawling, and drags himself to his feet, readying a strike–and with a final blow to the head, the spider is slain. Gethin rushes to his wounded hound.

Healing the Hound
  • Heal: 9, 9 vs 5 + 2 (wits) = 7. Miss, match. Pay the price: 30–something of value is lost or destroyed.

Pebble’s wounds are serious. The spider’s venom prevents the blood from clotting, and the only thing he can do is cut off piece after piece of the ash bear pelt to hold the blood in as it becomes saturated. Fortunately, the venom eventually dissipates, and the bleeding stops, but not before the pelt is reduced to useless tatters. Gethin then takes a fang from the spider’s corpse and heads back to Eaglespire.

• Reach a milestone: Elstan’s Errands. 3 progress, now 9.

The return journey is uneventful. Not having fully entered the harrow spider territory, there is no further sign of them as the pair return to Eaglespire. Elstan has not yet returned, so Gethin takes the opportunity to recuperate.

R&R
  • Sojourn. 5, 8 vs 3 + 1 (heart). Miss.
  • Endure stress (1). Now at 2 spirit. 5, 10 vs 3 + 2 (spirit). Miss. -1 momentum (now 6).
  • Resupply. 6, 6 vs 3 + 2 (wits). Burn momentum. Strong hit, match. +2 supply (now 4).
  • Make camp. 3, 6 vs 1 + 4 supply = 5. Weak hit. +1 health for Pebble.

The villagers are cold; nobody wants to help someone who has been doing nothing but provoking the beasts of the area. Very well, thinks Gethin. I always find what I need in the wilds, anyway. The surrounding woods and fields, at least, are generous. Those Eaglespire fools don’t know what they have here. He settles down, far away from the village.

Pebble seems to be recovering. They set out to find Elstan. Again.

Finding Elstan. Again.
  • Gather information. 4, 9 vs 4 + 2 wits + 1 hound = 7. Weak hit. +1 momentum (now 3).
  • Make camp. 6, 6 vs 3 + 4 supply = 7. Strong hit, match. +1 health for Pebble (now 3), +1 spirit for Gethin (now 3).

There is almost no sign of Elstan’s whereabouts, but the trail leads north. Very well. They shall go north, too.

Having spent a solid day following only the vaguest of clues northward, Gethin makes camp at the edge of the forest, near a calmly flowing brook. Pebble is mending nicely, and time away from people, and danger, has restored Gelthin’s spirits after the rejection at Eaglespire. He’s staring into the fire when he hears someone approach. Pebble yelps inquisitively.

“Hello again, Elstan. I was wondering when you’d turn up.”

“Apologies for making you track me. I… had to leave.”

“I see. The folk of Eaglespire didn’t exactly welcome me after you left, you know.”

“Well, ah, it couldn’t be avoided. But nevermind.”

The Quest Completes
  • Fulfill Your Vow. Elstan’s Errands. 2, 4 vs 9 progress. Strong hit. 1 experience (1 total).
  • Reach a Milestone. The Blight. +2 progress, now 4.
  • Forge a bond with Elstan. 7, 9 vs 6 + 1 heart. Reroll challenge dice, having just completed a vow to his benefit: 4, 7. Weak hit. Mark bond (now have 4 bonds), swear a vow.

“Thank you! Events are moving faster than I had anticipated, and that was before you chased off the wyvern. Fortunately, with the forest wyvern and harrow spider teeth, we are now in an even better place. But I’m afraid we’ll need more.”

“Wait, who’s ‘we’? And what about your promise to me?”

“I assume you are referring to Kataka’s troubles in Olgar’s Stand.” He holds up a hand at Gethin’s wide-open mouth. “She can handle herself–she’s more than just an herbalist, of course. She told me about you, and once you stumbled into my path–with a wyvern tooth, no less–I figured she had sent you. And there is no mistaking your… aura.”

“My aura.”

“You do have some magical ability, no?”

Gethin remains silent. Pebble snorts.

“Very well. In any event, we’re going to need to gather more items. Supplies. Rarities. Et cetera. And I think you’re the person to help me.”

Without divulging much more, Elstan assures Gethin that they can turn the tide of the blight at Olgar’s Stand. They’re going to need a supply of swamp mandrake, which isn’t normally too great a challenge, but for unknown reasons, trade from the Flooded Lands has dried up.

“Head to Summersong.” Elstan names the town that serves as a focal point for travel west of the Graywatch Hills. “Find out why we haven’t seen any caravans recently, and gather as much swamp mandrake as you can carry.”

“What about you?” Gethin asks.

“I’ve got other work to do. Meet me in Olgar’s Stand as soon as you can.”

Gethin sighs. “Very well.”

“Safe travels, Gethin.” Elstan turns to go.

“You as well, Elstan. One more thing–what is the orchid for?”

“Oh, that? Well, nothing, since they don’t last after you pick them, as you no doubt discovered. But they are pretty, aren’t they? We should all take time to admire beauty where we can find it, these days.”

With that, Elstan leaves, and Gethin just shakes his head.

Gethin is not sure how much time remains for Kataka or Olgar’s Stand. He swears to bring some swamp mandrake home, soon, whatever the cost.

Next Time, on Wonderfully Weird AARs...
  • Swear an Iron Vow. 2, 7 vs 1 + 1 heart + 1 bond = 3. Weak hit. +1 momentum (now 4).
  • New Quest: Missing Mandrake (dangerous).

[ed. note: Fitting that Gelthin struggled where his stats are lowest–the ambush (wits) and the sojourn (heart). The leech + strong-arm combo feels a bit OP in that it took out the spider with one hit, but the matched failure when healing Pebble cost us the bear pelt (not that I had any other plans for it). We managed to complete a vow, at least, though I made it intentionally simple. Still, we’re getting further away (geographically and narratively) from our pressing goal to save Olgar’s Stand from the blight…]

To Summersong
  • Undertake a journey to Summersong. (Dangerous, decided by die roll.) 7, 9 vs 5 + 2 wits = 7. Miss. -1 supply (now 3).
  • Undertake a journey. 1, 6 vs 3 + 2 wits = 5. Weak hit. 2 progress, -1 supply (now 2).
  • Undertake a journey. 1, 10 vs 2 + 2 wits = 4. Weak hit. 2 progress (now 4), -1 supply (now 1).
  • Resupply. 3, 4 vs 4 + 2 wits = 6. Strong hit.
  • Make camp. 4, 10 vs 5 + 3 supply = 8. Weak hit. +1 spirit (now 4).

Still exhausted from the fight with the spider and worried over Pebble’s health, Gethin sleeps late the next day, and by the time he breaks camp, the sun is already low in the sky. Dispirited, he eats some of the dwindling supply of bear jerky and hopes for a better start tomorrow.

Gethin sets a grueling pace. Two solid days of travel and he and Pebble have eaten the last of the jerky and are into his reserve of hardtack. As they move south, however, the lands become richer, and the forage plentiful. Mushrooms, tubers, and a hare make for a delicious stew, and Gethin is able to put some away for later. He makes camp, and stares into the fire. Pebble snores.

A calm fire, a clear night, and Gethin wakes refreshed and ready to push south.

An Encounter
  • Undertake a journey. 5, 10 vs 1 + 2 wits = 3. Miss.
  • Raider (dangerous). Enter the fray (ambushed). 4, 4 vs 6 + 2 wits = 8. Strong hit, match. +2 momentum (now 6). Take initiative.

Continuing south, they come upon woods stretching out from the foothills of the Graywatch Hills. Entering a large glade, Gethin pauses to take in the light filtering through the trees. But, out of the corner of his eyes, movement…

A raider shrieks and charges Gethin, dagger waving wildly. He did not, however, see Pebble, who pounces at his legs and trips him. Gethin grins, and as the raider scuttles back and tries to regain his footing, he prepares the blood rune.

A Brief Fight
  • Leech. 1, 3 vs 5 + 2 iron = 7. Strong hit.
  • Strike (staff/deadly weapon). 4, 7 vs 3 -reroll- 4, 8 vs 4 + 2 iron = 6. Weak hit. 2 weapon + 2 leech = 4 harm = 8 progress. Lose initiative. +4 momentum (now 10).
  • Clash (staff/simple weapon). 4, 7 vs 6 + 3 wits + 1 long-arm = 10. Strong hit. 1 harm = 2 progress (now 10). +1 momentum (still 10). Retake initiative.
  • End the fight. 7, 8 vs 10 progress. Strong hit.
  • Resupply. 1, 9 vs 2 + 2 wits = 4. Weak hit. +2 supply (now 5), -2 momentum (now 8).

The raider, harried by Pebble, finally manages to regain his footing, only to see Gethin striding forward with a toothy grin and a firm grip on a quarterstaff that appears almost to be shimmering. With a solid blow to the body and a tap to the head, the raider is out cold. Pebble contentedly shakes herself off and sits down. “Good girl,” says Gethin, ruffling her head.

But what is a raider doing here? By himself? It doesn’t make any sense. Gethin binds the man, and, while waiting for him to recover, searches for any supplies he might have left in the area. It’s not exactly easy, having to keep an eye on the prisoner the whole time, but he finds the man’s stash and “appropriates” it. The man comes to, and Pebble growls.

The raider’s name turns out to be Lago, but beyond that he’s tight-lipped. Oh well, thinks Gethin. “Get,” he shouts. Pebble looks offended, but Gethin tells her, “No, no, I’m talking to that one.”

To Summersong, Again
  • Undertake a journey. 3, 8 vs 6 + 2 wits = 8. Weak hit. -1 supply (now 4). +2 progress (now 6).
  • Undertake a journey. 4, 8 vs 5 + 2 wits = 7. Weak hit. -1 supply (now 3). +2 progress (now 8).
  • Reach your destination. 3, 10 vs 8 progress. Weak hit.
  • Reach a milestone: Missing Mandrake. +2 progress (now 2).

Summersong lies along a wide stretch of the Thornbarrow River, which collects tributaries from the Graywatch Hills and empties into the Flooded Lands. Nearly all travelers from the Flooded Lands or the southern coast who stay west of the Graywatch will come by, and thus the town makes its living as a trade point. The natural beauty of the smoothly rolling hills and gently curving river give the town its name.

Today, however, the beauty is marred by burned steadings and fields as Gethin, Pebble, and Lago approach the walls. The people are nervous, and unwilling to let a stranger in.

Talking his way in
  • Compel (pacify). 9, 10 vs 2 + 1 heart = 3. Miss.

“Turn back. We have no room for strangers here.” The guard looks unsettled.

“What if I give you this one?” Gethin gestures to his captive. “Lago here is probably in league with those that burned your fields.”

“Oh, we’ll take him off your hands, certainly. But nobody comes in freely until our warden returns. We cannot risk any more losses.”

The town is scared, and Gethin can get no further. He manages to learn that their warden, Asha, headed west into the hills after some troublesome omens. With a final tap from his staff, Gethin pushes Lago to the waiting guards and heads west.

[ed. note: With a blood rune and a couple good rolls, a “dangerous” fight can end pretty quickly. I’m still not thrilled with simply repeating the “Undertake a Journey” move and just bumping supply down, one by one. Probably there’s another move to use when I just want to get to e.g. Summersong immediately with at most one interruption, which was the case here.]

Keep 'em coming! I enjoy these a lot.

Thanks! This thread will soon catch up to what I have played/written already, and then the updates will slow down, but I suppose I could ask for input on what they should do next…

Feeling bad for @BiggerBoat now that Starforged KS is in the home stretch. A shipping mishap and now delays at the US fulfillment center are weighing on him:

Producing and delivering Starforged is absolutely the most important thing in my life for the past 18 months, but it’s far from the most important thing for the other spokes of the fulfillment wheel. Freight schedules are a nightmare, paper and cardboard are in short supply, fulfillment warehouses are backed up, postal systems are strained, and costs across the board have skyrocketed. People and systems are overburdened and underfunded. Starforged is just one project in this chaos. A leaf in a whirlwind.

So I am trying (and mostly failing) to exercise some patience. I’ve been working on Starforged for more than three years, and feel a heavy burden to do right by those who supported the campaign. We just need to get through these final few weeks before I can finally breathe a sigh of relief. But it’s not easy.

Shawn – don’t fret! We’ll be patient!

I see you John Gaius, Necrolord Prime.

Seriously though, every one should read Gideon the Ninth and its sequels.

Agreed! Though I’ve only read the first two books of the series–thanks for pointing out that book 3 has come out. (TBH the Stellaris implementation of this idea was… a light touch, shall we say? Some new buildings and jobs and a tweaked growth mechanic. But honestly the main point of Stellaris is to do things that sound cool in your head and then watch the galaxy bend to your will.)

Things are looking brighter today, and I’m finding my zen. We’ll get there.

Heading West
  • Gather information. 8, 10 vs 2 + 2 wits + 1 hound = 5. Burn momentum for Weak hit. Momentum is now 2 reset + 1 weak hit + 1 hound = 4.
  • Make Camp. 3, 10 vs 5 + 5 supply = 10. Weak hit. Relax: +1 spirit (now 5).

The trail west quickly runs cold. The Graywatch Hills rise up in front of Gethin and Pebble, lightly forested, not altogether unwelcoming, but intimidating in their expanse. Perhaps things will be clearer in the morning.

They are, in fact. The sky is clear, the sun warm, and the hills somehow more welcoming.

Finding Asha
  • Gather information. 2, 6 vs 1 + 2 wits + 1 hound = 4. Weak hit. +2 momentum (now 6).
  • Secure an advantage (observation). 7, 8 vs 5 + 2 wits = 7. Miss.
  • Raider pack (formidable). Enter the fray (facing off). 2, 4 vs 6 + 1 heart. Strong hit. Take initiative. +2 momentum (now 8).

It is strange–whereas closer to the town there were hardly any signs of passage, here it appears that several people have been through the area. Easy enough to follow, at least, until Gethin comes upon a small campsite. Three raiders have a fourth person bound and gagged. Judging by the warden’s brooch on the prisoner’s discarded cloak, this must be Asha.

Gethin waits, watching for an opening. Nothing. Surely, one of them must want to step out for a minute? No such luck, and then one of them spots him.

Opening Moves
  • Strike (staff/simple weapon). 6, 8 vs 3 + 3 edge + 1 long-arm = 7. Weak hit. +1 momentum (long-arm, now 9). 1 harm = 1 progress. Lose initiative.
  • Clash (staff/simple weapon). 1, 7 vs 2 + 3 edge + 1 long-arm = 6. Burn momentum for Strong Hit (now 2 + 1 strong hit + 1 long-arm = 4). 1 harm, now at 2 progress. Take initiative.
  • Secure an advantage. 5, 9 vs 4 + 3 edge = 7. Weak hit. +1 momentum (now 5). Lose initiative.

Gethin charges into the camp, accompanied by Pebble. He connects with his staff on the first raider, but overextends. Pebble, however, clamps onto the raider’s calf, giving Gethin time to recover.

Gethin feints and pulls back, bringing the raider further from his allies as Pebble distracts them. He is unable to gain too much distance, though.

Back and Forth
  • Clash (staff/simple weapon). 1, 5 vs 2 + 3 edge + 1 long-arm = 6. Strong hit. 1 harm (at 3 progress). +2 momentum now at 7. Take initiative.
  • Strike (staff/simple weapon). 4, 10 vs 5 + 4 = 9. Weak hit. 1 harm (4 progress).
  • Clash (staff/simple weapon). 1, 10 vs 6 + 4 = 10. Weak hit. 1 harm (4 progress).
  • Endure harm (2). 3 health left. 1, 5 vs 2 + 3 health = 5. Weak hit.
  • Companion Endure Harm (1) 2 health left. 6, 6 vs 5 + 2 health = 7. Strong hit, Match. +1 health, back to 3. Take initiative.
  • Secure an advantage (speed): 1, 10 vs 4 + 3 edge = 7. Weak hit. +1 momentum (to 8). Lose initiative.

Gethin continues holding the focus of his target while Pebble dodges between the other two. Between strikes, Pebble lets out a sharp yelp as one of the other raiders finally connects–fortunately with a foot, not a sword. Pebble scampers away, but the distraction is enough for Gethin’s foe to land a minor hit. Enraged, Gethin bodily knocks him to the ground, and then notices an opening as the other two turn to face him.

Gethin fakes a charge and then breaks to the left–straight to Asha. Fumbling with his knife, he cuts her bonds, but barely manages to get back to his feet as the two raiders charge in. Still, it is enough–the fight is a bit more even now as Asha sprints to grab her sword.

Evening the odds
  • With Asha’s help, we downgrade the raider pack to dangerous. Reset progress to zero.
  • Clash (staff/simple weapon). 2, 5 vs 1 + 4 = 5. Weak hit. 1 harm (2 progress).
  • Endure harm (2). 1 health left. 1, 8 vs 3 + 2 iron = 5. Weak hit. Press on.
  • Clash (staff/simple weapon). 4, 9 vs 4 + 4 = 8. Weak hit. 1 harm (now 4 progress).
  • Endure harm (2). 0 health, -1 momentum (now 7). 1, 5 vs 5 + 2 iron = 7. Strong hit. +1 momentum (back to 8). Take initiative.
  • Secure an advantage (agility). 1, 4 vs 4 + 3 = 7. Strong hit. Take initiative. +1 to the next move.

The two raiders press Gethin hard, landing a few blows before Asha rushes back. However, the third has now regained his footing and circles around, looking for an opening. The reappearance of Pebble–drawn by Gethin’s cries as he is hit–distracts the raiders enough for Gethin to trip one with his staff as Asha bowls a second over. Bleeding profusely, Gethin desperately makes the blood rune before his adrenaline gives out.

A final gamble
  • Leech. 5, 8 vs 4 + 2 iron + 1 prior = 7. Weak hit. Mark debility. Lose initiative.
  • Clash (staff/simple weapon). 2, 6 vs 5 + 4 = 9. Strong hit. +1 momentum (now 9). 1 harm (now 6 progress). Take initiative.
  • Strike (staff/deadly weapon). 6, 9 vs 4 + 2 iron = 6. Burn momentum for Strong Hit. 4 harm now at 10 progress, and +4 health for 4 total. Debility removed. Momentum to 2.
  • End the fight. 1, 9 vs 10 progress: Strong Hit.

The blood rune is imperfect, as the one remaining upright foe charges at Gethin–he rushes the rune, but manages to stave off the attack. As the rune builds, Gethin moves to end the fight.

In a blur, Gethin’s staff takes down first one, then two, then the third raider. Gethin is exhausted and bruised, but strangely unbloodied.

Asha finally removes the cloth binding her mouth. “That was quite a finish.”

“Well, I’ve had some practice lately. You’re no slouch, yourself.”

“A warden is supposed to be good at this. I’m Asha. Who are you?”

“Gethin.”

“Just ‘Gethin’?”

“Yeah. Let’s get back to Summersong so I can get what I came for.”

“You don’t look to me like you’re quite up for a hike at the moment. Why don’t you take a breather while I look around?”

Unable to dispute this, Gethin acquiesces. If Asha noticed Gethin’s blood rune, she doesn’t comment on it.

Just got my notice that it has shipped! Do you know where it ships from? I’m in Philly, hoping it might arrive before Christmas.

Keep 'em coming!

Got my shipping notification too. Woohoo!

Ships from northern Maryland, so not too far from you!

The narrow end of the funnel right now seems to be the USPS. Most of the shipments go from a carrier such as UPS or DHL to USPS for last mile delivery. But the USPS hubs are pretty backed up. I’ve had a package sitting two miles away “waiting for acceptance” by the USPS for like a week. It all depends on how that looks for you locally, but in a normal world you should have it well in advance of Christmas. Fingers crossed!

A break
  • Make camp. 1, 8 vs 4 + 5 supply = 9. Strong hit. Recuperate: +1 health for Gethin and Pebble (now at 5 and 4). Focus: +1 momentum (now 3).

Gethin wakes, with a start, to find Pebble between him and one of the raiders, growling. The raider is bound, and Asha sits on a log nearby.

“Ready to go? Only Selva here survived your staff,” she says, gesturing to the prisoner, “but that’s fine with me.”

“So we’ll be bringing in another one.” Gethin smiles grimly. “Let’s go.”

Asha tells Gethin that she learned of a coming raid and left Summersong to scout. Unfortunately, she ran into a whole clan, not just a raid, and was discovered and overpowered. The raiders then dispersed to loot the countryside–which is how Gethin ran into a lone raider earlier, and a guard of only three now.

“The Black Fangs have been increasingly active recently, which is also why you haven’t seen any caravans from the Flooded Lands up your way. When we get back to Summersong, we can probably get a location out of Selva here and your friend Lago. Either a caravan they hit, or a cache of the goods they stole. Hopefully that will get you your swamp mandrake. It would be the least I could do for you.”

The journey back to Summersong is quick and uneventful. The people are much relieved to see Asha back, and a little sheepish at having turned Gethin away. With Selva and Lago in separate cells in the dungeon, Asha and Gethin try a little “good warden, bad warden”.

In Summersong
  • Return to Summersong with Asha: Reach a waypoint on Missing Mandrake. +2 progress (now 4).
  • Question the raiders: Compel (threaten). 4, 9 vs 6 + 2 iron + 1 bonus from Asha = 9. Weak hit.

They are unable to get clear information on where the Black Fangs have been keeping their spoils, but Selva claims to be able to lead them to the remains of their largest score–only a few days old at this point, the goods might even still be there. It’ll have to do.

Gethin asks Asha to come along, but she says she’ll be too busy organizing Summersong’s defense and recovery. “But you’ll always have a welcome here,” she reminds him. “And I consider you a friend now. After you cure the blight in your home, we could use your help again–if we can survive the Black Fangs, we’ll then have to survive the winter.”

Departing Summersong
  • Forge a bond (Asha). 5, 4 vs 5 + 1 (heart) = 6. Strong hit. (Allow reroll due to rescue.) +1 spirit (already at 5), +2 momentum (now 5).

• Swear an Iron Vow to help Summersong. 10, 10 vs 6 + 1 heart + 1 bond = 8. Miss, match. (On tens!!!) -2 momentum (now 3). Oracle: “Unexpected powers or abilities are revealed.”

• Try again: Swear an Iron Vow. 1, 9 vs 1 + 1 heart = 2. Weak hit. +1 momentum (now 4).

• New Vow: See Summersong Survive (formidable).

• New Vow: Discover the identity of the Black Fang leader (troublesome).

“I swear it, that I shall return and see Summersong through the winter,” Gethin intones, grabbing the blade of Asha’s sword and drawing blood. As he does, lightning strikes a distant hilltop, though there is not a cloud in the sky. Selva, manacled, lets out a rough laugh.

“You can try, goatherd, but you have no idea what you’re up against. She’ll barely notice you. After I show you the caravan site, I’m running as far as I can.”

The prisoner refuses any more detail–he’s more scared of “her” than Gethin. Fine, thinks Gethin, I’ll show him. If I have to discover who this is to see Summersong survive, I will.

Gethin is not sure what, exactly, he’s gotten himself into. Well, perhaps Elstan or Kataka will have some idea… when he gets back with the mandrake, that is.

Ed note: With the 1% chance of double tens, I figured I had to make something dramatic happen, but I couldn’t really think of anything exciting. The Oracle roll reminded me that there’s always some kind of big baddie behind the scenes, so I figured it was time to add one that will tie it all together (including some of the setting and background vow that I’ve omitted from these writeups). Of course, I’m not exactly sure how she’s going to do that…

Mine arrived today! No photos because Santa’s helper grabbed the box before I could get to it, so I have to wait until next Sunday.