A Song of Ice and Fire

It’s certainly dry. In fact, the Aegon sections were disappointing to me, and pass so quickly that it’s as if GRRM is bored by it. His Jaehaerys chapters are probably the best in teh book, and that’s his favorite Targ king so the creative juices flowed a good bit for that portion of the book.

I remember attending one of GRRM’s events and he said something along the lines of “Ive forgotten more about Westeros than I remember.”

He wasn’t kidding that there are at least 3-4 novels worth of stuff lurking in this material. I’m sure in the future someone will adapt/expand on some of these stories.

The Jaeheyrs stuff is great. So much intrigue and tragedy, even during the reign of the most peaceful and prosperous Targaryen monarch. And his weakness was indulging his daughters too much. What nightmares they became.

Still, those early Targaryen reigns were something to behold.

I got a notification from my Library yesterday that my turn had come for Fire and Blood, so I dropped whatever I was reading and started my 2 weeks of reading this book. It certainly is more interesting than I thought it would be, right off the bat.

Gosh, I’m really loving this book. (Fire and Blood). There’s so many interesting stories here. Honestly, I was expecting more of the kind of stuff you hear about in Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History podcasts, you know, stuff like “none of the original sources reveal anything about this period, so we don’t really know what happened except through Herodotus’ plays”, etc.

But apparently the historian putting together Tangaryan history had plenty of good sources, since so far we pretty much know everything that happened in most situations.

The Jahaerys section was my favorite part.

Not sure whether I should listen to the audiobook or read the text. Given the number of names I will need to remember maybe the latter would be best.