A Song of Ice and Fire

GRRM hard at work on Winds of Winter.

I’ve given up on the books. He’ll never finish them. The series is now, in my mind, the canon. I just hope it stays good!

That ship sailed with season 5.

Naked GRRM on a trampoline made my morning though. Wow.

I don’t think GoT can really get outdated as a series… just like many books, they are good regardless of when they are written and finished. Also, even if the show has one ending, I don’t doubt the book will be better in almost every way and maybe even much different. At least in my opinion, game of thrones will always be a classic series…

The first three books are classic series. We’ll have to agree to disagree about the rest.

I hope GRRM wraps up the series and does a good job with it, but at this point I’m definitely in the camp that might choose to forgo the rest when it eventually comes out.

That … is genius.

The weirdest part of GRRM’s update is this bit:

Look, I never thought the series could possibly catch up with the books, but it has.

People were saying this was going to happen right when the HBO deal was first announced. Lots of people. How delusional was he to think he’d wrap the books up before the series caught up?

That was my first thought as well, that some very simple math with the number of seasons and the number of books makes this a laughable assumption. I gave it a little more thought though, and I guess you could extend him the benefit of a doubt if he imagined—at least early on—that the books could each take several seasons as the show went on. That’s at least plausible within the rest of his poor estimating and scheduling.

Perhaps he thought the pressure would help?

There’s no way it was going to happen. Even if you charitably gave him two years (HA!) to work on each of the rest of the books with one season of show per book, there’s was no way to get the series done before the TV show caught up. As it is, most fans assumed that the show was going to fold the storylines back into each other to keep the plots watchable.

Just no way.

You don’t think he could’ve initially thought we’d be spending two or more seasons with each book? Consider the context in the post for what you quoted:

Having said all that, I know what the next question will be, because hundreds of you have already asked it of me. Will the show ‘spoil’ the novels?

Maybe. Yes and no. Look, I never thought the series could possibly catch up with the books, but it has. The show moved faster than I anticipated and I moved more slowly.

Of course if he [I]recently[/I] thought he still had a chance of staying ahead of the series, that’s a special kind of crazy. But my interpretation of that line in his post was more of “look, when I agreed to do the shows, it didn’t occur to me we’d have this problem of the series surpassing the books”. And I buy that.

Let’s say the first season was obviously going to move quickly and cover the whole first book, but if he thought the rest of the books could each take two seasons or more on screen, A Feast For Crows would’ve taken us through at least seven seasons (2017), giving him until 2020 to finish The Winds of Winter and 2022 for A Dream of Spring.

In that scenario he would still be fine with his current pace. It might’ve always been a naive view of the TV schedule, but it’s not crazy to think that when the show was starting, it never occurred to him even with his slowing pace of writing that the show would catch up. And that’s the concern I think he’s addressing in the quoted passage.

He reminds me of my dad, except that GRRM is a multi-millionaire and can support himself.

Nah. I don’t buy it. I mean, I believe him when he says he didn’t think it would happen, but it’s also nuts to think that way. No one familiar with the books and modern serial TV structure believed he would be able to keep pace with the show.

GRRM has always been terrible with deadlines and his own time and attention management. I just found it nutty that he was that deluded about his own capabilities.

I guess I’m just saying I don’t hold it against him that he didn’t foresee the pace of the show at the outset, and given that, it was just normal GRRM level delusional to think he could stay ahead of it, not a special case.

I won’t argue it was realistic.

I think you’re underestimating the power of self-delusion. Most of us have some talent for it, and he may be [I]awesome[/I] at it ;)

I am not mad GRRM…

I am disappointed.

I can’t say this should be a surprise to anyone. The show will finish first, everyone will know how the story ends and the books will never be finished because why would GRRM sweat it out then when he didn’t before.

It’s especially odd when you realize that GRRM spent a good chunk of his career writing for television. It’s not like he was unfamiliar with the genre.