A Stranger Just Paypal'd Me $475, And Other Scams

All true, and as said before, kinda shocking that they had gotten so far and didn’t just set up a keylogger. She seemed about two steps beyond where I thought you could still pull it out of the fire.

To be honest, they probably don’t know how to set up a key logger.

They hire in bulk, guys stick to the script and rarely thing escalate to anyone who is technically skilled. Probably would escalate if they knew she had a lot of money to steal, but like I said, it is easier for you to just convince people to give you the money.

If they stole money from your bank, that also could escalate a possible response, as that becomes a serious cyber crime. Getting someone to withdraw their own money and send it is closer to a grift.

Hahah, that made me laugh. Everyone needs a beekeeper watching over their shoulder.

I didn’t end up reading the whole thread. I assume that the $475 got clawed back when the fraud was discovered?

In other news I once heard a really interesting Planet Money (I think) about a scam whereby people order something on eBay and then end up getting stuff over and above what they ordered. I wish I could remember the details, but I think it involves scammers using stolen credit cards to order new stuff from the vendor (in this case it was Nespresso pods + free coffee machine) and shipping it directly to the eBay customer, getting payment for the stuff from said customer, and when the cc fraud is discovered the original vendor is SOTL. The eBay customer is more than happy unless they’re both exceedingly honest and very curious, as the NPR correspondent was:

Here’s the transcript:

So the scammers have basically turned scamming into almost a real job, with specialized forums and even conferences to attend.

My question is: Do these guys get caught with any kind of frequency? The article says they get shut down frequently, but then I imagine they just move on and start yet another storefront.

I’d love to hear a story about following the money trail and why they don’t get caught. Or better yet, how they do get caught. It’s a fascinating topic for sure.

You might interested in this episode of CBC Marketplace. The below thing is a YOUTUBE LINK and not a photo. Why are they showing up like this now?

Not a scam, per se, but related to PayPal:

Just the other day every time I try to use PayPal for something, it wants me to log into my bank account so that Yodlee can access it. Apparently Yodlee is their third-party transaction facilitator or something. I looked around for info and it seems that while it’s a legitimate service, it is also a data aggregator and scoops up all sorts of info that can be sold to God knows who.

I’ve been ok with using PayPal in the past, hooked into my bank account, as that was a single point of contact that I could monitor fairly well. I am uneasy about authorizing Yodlee, especially as it pops up a window for you to enter in your login credentials for your online banking. The trouble is, if I don’t do that, I’ll have to go pretty much stop using PayPal like I used to. I’ll have to either deposit a small amount to cover things like the Qt3 Patreon payment and Apple TV monthly charges, or switch everything to a credit card.

Anyone gone through with the Yodlee stuff?

My brother-in-law was the victim of a “pig butchering” scam a year or so back. Pretty sophisticated and they played a “long game” with him, stretching it out over many months to gain his trust. When they roped him into the “investment opportunity”, it was also done over a long period of time. The app that they directed him to seemed amazingly legitimate and he actually made real money using the service – in that he invested a few hundred bucks and made a few thousand which he was able to withdraw and spend. It was only when he had effectively emptied his savings into the fake app that the trap sprang shut. He lost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Anyway, he was recently contacted by a guy who claims that he escaped from the scammers’ labor camp, and this guy says that he saw my brother-in-law’s name on some kind of “targeting board” before he left. This guy does not claim to be the person who directly scammed my BiL, but he says that he think BiL is in a great deal of danger.

Seems pretty transparently another scam to me - my Brother-in-Law was gullible enough to fall for a scam last time, is presumably angry and humiliated about the experience (he is), and thus might be a good candidate for a fake “revenge plot”. I’m not sure exactly how they plan to get more money out of him yet, and I hope I never find out. My advice to my brother-in-law was to notify the Singapore police (that’s where he works) and never speak to this guy again.

Yes and No.

They do get caught quite a lot, but the individuals aren’t typically charged with much. The ringleaders typically work through many levels of money laundering and disconnection that they don’t get much punishment, as it is hard to prove too much.

The resources are spent at just taking places offline, revoking IP phone accounts, access to work tools (like anydesk), but like a hydra, these things shut down and 2 more pop up to take its place.

The other issue, is this is happening in countries, like Pakistan, India, smaller SE asian countries, where the scamming is happening to non-citizens, and the police forces there have a lot more important things to do than catch people stealing from American/British/European people. There just isn’t much incentive or pressure to shut these things down, and because they are so complicated and dispersed through layers on layers of deception, they would take a lot of resources to fully take down.

The only thing that could be done, is to keep grinding away at these places. There are some high profile raids Microsoft, Amazon, India join forces to combat tech support scammers | PCWorld but that isn’t enough.

These countries hosting these scams need to get much more serious on shutting these things down for it to get any better. But this will also just move these things to newer and less stable locations.

The issue is our global economic system, and income inequality as a whole. When you can make more money scamming people than working an honest job, people are going to do that, because they gotta feed their kids right?

That’s absolutely horrible, Tin. Sympathies to your BiL (and sister presumably).

This is identity fraud, not a scam, but maybe this is the thread for it? Interesting story about how disorganized the fraud situation is in our country.

TIL that ‘verificate’ was an actual word at one time in the 1700s.

I heard it’s coming back!

Can you verificate that?

Two-factor verificate, I can I can.

Man they rocketed up there in customers during/post COVID. We use the same. It kinda annoys me that part of it is my grade on marking things as phishing emails though when my prior action was to simply delete things that looks non-legit. From someone in IT though, I’m very glad we push that training on people.

What scares me more these days is someone calling into IT somewhere in our company and being helped getting into something.