A US-to-Canada mailing question for Canadians (or Americans who mail to Canada)

Hello, friends in the Great White North! I need to send some documents to Nova Scotia and I would like them to arrive reasonably quickly and reasonably safely, with a delivery receipt.

I sent these same documents many months ago and the USPS failed me (not a shocker, thanks for nothing, DeJoy). They never arrived, but I had to wait for the processing period to lapse to get confrmation they weren’t processing.

So… What’s my best bet? UPS? Fed Ex? DHL? Drive to the border and pay a Canadian guard in dollars and Krispy Kremes to have it mailed Canada Post from the other side of the border?

Help me, Captain Canuck, you’re my only hope.

Depending on how sensitive the documents are, I’d be happy to have you send them to me electronically and I can print them and mail them via Canada Post Registered Mail. DM me if you’re interested.

Otherwise, whenever I’m getting things from the US and it’s come on time / tracking has been good, it’s pretty much always been either Fedex or UPS. UPS is usually great.

Thanks for the offer, @Ephraim! That’s a great idea and I would totally take you up on that, but one of the documents actually has to have my signature on it (vs a scan of it). So good to know UPS is usually good. That’s also the most convenient to me.

Appreciate the response!

@Editer, if there isn’t anything that is going to cause Canadian customs to impose any duty or anything, you could probably go with one of the big carriers. If there is something that would cause Canada to impose a duty on the package what the bastard carries do is pay it and then charge you a service fee for paying it ahead of time so you not only pay the customs charge but their service fee. This hasn’t happened to me when USPS has handed it off to Canada Post.

When you initially sent the documents did you send them with tracking? I’m guessing you did. I find that the issues most often lie with Canada Post. Canada Post is what will also take the most time on the documents journey, especially now that they can blame COVID for taking so long to delivery a piece of mail. I’m a big supporter of a public mail system but Canada Post make it really hard to like them.