Abandon Ship - Sunless Sea, FTL, and a Kraken

BIG new update. This skipped off me pretty badly for how horribly difficult it was on immediate early release.

But each major content/development patch they’ve added has really brought this game into a more refined (and thankfully balanced state). Haven’t played the new patch–just installed–but eager to hear any impressions.

Haunted Seas update out now!

New update, opening three new regions. Also, a short-term (48 hour) sale at 33% off.

I’ve enjoyed the little bit I’ve played of the game, but being early access I put it on the backburner. I wonder how close it is to being finished, now.

Anyone play this recently?

On my wishlist but still waiting for it to drop out of EA

I’m not playing another one of these until I know the developer respects a player’s time. Sunless Skies was exceptionally annoying with the immense amount of downtime we had going back and forth and back and forth SO SLOWLY between sites. If it weren’t for the cheat engine speed hack I would have given up on sunless skies.

I have, and it’s pretty terrific now.

Why would your issue (which shouldn’t be an issue at all, frankly) with one game be an issue here, in a different game that plays in a different style from a completely different developer?

Weird.

I blame the OP’s subject header.

Also, every stop bumping this thread until Abandon Ship is out of early access plz! Here’s me: “Oh, look, new posts in the thread, it must be out of early access!” Here’s the thread: “Psyche!”

-Tom

No. The thread knows how to spell.

I thought this was the exact same kind of game made by one of the previous developers of Sunless Seas.

It’s got far more to do with FTL than Sunless Skies. One of the complaints people have about it that I see is that movement on the map is too fast.

Haha OK cool. I’m interested!

Are the ships destructible? I guess that might make the game less fun…

1 year later… new update!

Anyone want to chime in on the fun-ness of this game recently?

Not recent, but I enjoyed my time with it and then it got away from me as the new shiny stuff distracted me while I was waiting for an upcoming patch some time back. I should really give it some more attention after my PC build is done.

edit - my recommendation is “buy on a good Steam sale and actually play it”

I gave it about 4-5 hours. It just never felt like it was coming together for me in the final analysis. It does make a good first impression, but after a while…it was just easy to move on to something else. There were some good ideas in the game, but it just never really felt cohesive. One of the biggest issues is that this is another game that wants you to explore, but also wants to punish you for exploring, and when it wants to do that – or wants to punish you – it never really makes it clear and it just feels arbitrary and un-fun.

Perhaps what I really wanted it to be was FTL: Pirate Ship, but it really doesn’t have much interest in being that.

Arise from the depths! This is free on Amazon, and I quite like it. Can anyone explain how I can determine what the sea routes do, as far as being locked out of going backwards constantly? I understand everything else but I want to go back to easier areas with my improved ship/crew and it seems to be built to disallow that, if that’s the case no big deal, but it was frustrating.

Edit: just literal gatekeeping, seems to be open after competing the first quest.

. . . Aaaand I’m done. With a monster ship, carefully kitted out and way beyond the theoretical area I should be in, sometimes even pause-scumming isn’t enough to save you from the right combination of attacks, then you’re broke and back in a starter ship with many fewer options to build cash to get back to where you were. There’s a bunch of playability built into this one that could have been addressed better and allowed good hand-smacking fights, but the penalty turned out to be hours-of-grinding brutal to just get back to zero.