Abortion Doctor's Killer Expects 'Reward'

See here: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=533&ncid=533&e=5&u=/ap/20030903/ap_on_re_us/abortion_execution

From the article: “Paul Hill, a former minister who gunned down an abortion doctor, said he feels no remorse and suggested the state will be making him a martyr when he becomes the first person executed in the United States for anti-abortion violence.”

“The sooner I am executed … the sooner I am going to heaven,” Hill said in a jailhouse interview. “I expect a great reward in heaven. I am looking forward to glory. I don’t feel remorse.”

“More people should act as I have acted,” Hill added.

What a fuckin’ nutcase, IMHO.

He and Osama would have a lot in common, apart from selection of targets.

It’s funny how similar religious fanatics are, no matter what religion they practice.

Makes perfect sense to me, I’m sorry to say. Religious fanatics are convinced that divine revelation has handed them all the answers, that anyone who thinks different is not just wrong but evil, and that their actions are therefore justified.

And there is literally no way to reason with folks like this. Very, very scary people. I’ve known several in my time. At one point, my brother and my best friend simultaneously became pretty extreme fundamentalist Christians. They both later reconsidered, thank goodness, but they were just about impossible to talk to for years…

“Boy, is my face red.” - first words when he steps off the elevator into hell.

Heh, that reminds me of the great piece in the Onion after 9/11 – “Terrorists Surprised to Find Themselves in Hell” … where are the 69 virgins, Mohammad Atto bleated?

Abortion is so wierd. Only in the US is it a subject of contentious debate; Europe and Japan don’t really care.

Consider that our country was initially settled by many fundamentalist wackos driven out of Europe for their extreme, often cult-like religious views, then. Fundamentalist Christian morality been part of the American meme since the 1500’s.

And few of the ones that were too wacko for even the later-generation Puritans migrated to the Midwest (and Utah) to escape persecution.

And the rest of Asia, and Africa, well, heathens anyway? ;)

But seriously, in the Catholic countries, especially southern Europe, I believe it’s rather more of an issue.

Another theory is that European countries legislated the abortion issue, whereas in the United States it was a judicial decision. That creates the impression (at least on the Right) of yet another example of “liberal judges out of control and out of touch with the American People™ and Family Values™.” Whereas if the lawmakers actually had to craft a law with the kind of compromises and such that happen when you actually make laws, it would maybe be a bit less contentious. Though on abortion, that’s a tricky subject. The religious thing does murk things up considerably.

Yet Congress, in a way, would rather have it settled through the courts. They don’t want to touch it with a ten-foot pole (well, aside from the partial-birth/late-term thing). They’d rather just bide their time and just get control of the White House, that way they could appoint (depending on the party’s view) liberal/conservative justices to the Supreme Court and let them handle it.

I meant in the first world, of course.

My theory is that abortion isn’t really about abortion; it’s just a proxy culture war for yelling at hippies. How dare they have sex without suffering god’s appropriate punishment! (kids)

I dunno Jason, you’ll earn a lot of Koontzes from that remark.

Huh? Try poking around conservative websites; there’s a rather disturbing amount of shrieking about “responsibility-free sex.” Seeing how, you know, it’s technically supposed to be worries about the murder of fetuses, not who’s schlupping who.

A bit like…hell, come to think of it, it’s exactly like gun control types who spend all their time shrieking about the evils of guns rather than focusing on what they should be caring about - murder and accidental death.

The subordinate issue dominates the primary issue in both cases.

Of course the same people who are most viciously against abortion are most viciously against contraception too.

They’re just anti-sex at the end of the day.

Just do me a favor - don’t lump everyone who has a problem with abortion into the looney bin with that doctor killer. Most anti-abortion people I know hate it when a wacko like that does something like that, one, because they abhor what he did, two because it makes it so easy then for small-minded people to start in with their mass generalizations.

Which frankly seems to be a trend around here these days also.

And painting abortion opponents with the “they hate sex” brush is inaccurate, as well. I know that the Catholic Church opposes both abortion and birth control, but frankly, I don’t know many Catholics that agree or practice the “no birth control part,” even if they oppose abortion.

Right, but as much as I disagree with the extreme conservative stance on abortion, there is just as much absurdity in the vanguard of the opposite side. You know, where there’s all that shit about female oppression and abortion being some sort of inherently good and virtuous act.

A bit like…hell, come to think of it, it’s exactly like gun control types who spend all their time shrieking about the evils of guns rather than focusing on what they should be caring about - murder and accidental death.

But if they started doing that, they’d have to switch sides. :)

The subordinate issue dominates the primary issue in both cases.

That might suggest that it is not in fact a subordinate issue.

Right, but as much as I disagree with the extreme conservative stance on abortion, there is just as much absurdity in the vanguard of the opposite side. You know, where there’s all that shit about female oppression and abortion being some sort of inherently good and virtuous act.

Yeah, it doesn’t help when the pro choice side appears to not only want abortion to be legal, but free, convenient and anonymous as many times as you want it, paid for by your tax dollars!

Dude, there’s like 12 people that think abortion is “a virtous act.” Compare this to pretty much the entire Southern Baptist Convention getting all red and shakey about kids having sex without getting pregnant.

Er. So what’s your solution? Make abortion cost a hundred thousand dollars, force the women to crawl through barbed wire to reach the one clinic, located in Alaska, and put their faces on the front page of every newspaper? Would that satisfy you?