Aceru Combatu 7!

OHHHH, okay, got it, thanks!

Correct, no support at all on PC, and minimal support on PSVR.

It’s a timed exclusive until 18 Jan 2020, so if PC support arrives sometime after that then that’s when I’ll be considering buying it. :)

There are two cockpit modes, one with just the hud and one with the full cockpit.

Hmm. Seems like a long exclusive. They’re worried on losing the massive Oculus-PC market?

It’s a year, which seems pretty standard for these things. Note it doesn’t mean it’s def. coming to PC, as Resident Evil 7 never did once its PSVR exclusive expired. :(

I’m not sure what Sony’s worry is… I guess it’s making sure that people who buy VR to play this game buy a PSVR and not a PCVR.

Sony is directly funding a lot of these VR features so they might as well get something for their money.

I preordered 7 on a lark this week, as someone who has never played any Ace Combat before. I’ve been really enjoying it. The story is really languid and strange in its presentation, but I find myself really charmed by it. The cloud rendering is awesome and it feels really cool to be fighting updrafts or a shearing wind while trying to line up a shot, or stay out of enemy radar. It is also incredibly satisfying to take out an A-10 and strafe a fuel storage depot.

I also jumped into multiplayer a bit, and mostly got my ass handed to me by people who knew what they were doing and/or had already tech’d up to F-22s. Was still worth it for the MGP you earn from each round, even if you suck out there and the AWACS guy is very disappointed in your performance.

Thanks man, for your impressions! Really looking forward to getting my hands on this one. Eurogamer also seemed to like it:

@tomchick will you be reviewing this? Please? WIth sugar on top?

I’ve never heard of the series, but it looks up my alley. I added it to my wishlist and will probably buy it when it goes on sale for my Xbox.

I watched a few streams of it and it looks fun.

One question though, does the game take place on earth? It looks like a modern day alternate reality since (I think?) the planes have real life counterparts but the geography doesn’t? Just curious about the setting.

That’s about right on the setting.

It takes place in the Strangereal.

I’ll repeat: the story of Ace Combat 3 (fan translation, not the western release) is head and shoulders above the others and it’s actually pretty cool. It’s a PS1 game, sadly, but it sort of holds up, I think.

Wait… you can’t fool me, one of the Osean ships is called the Sunbro!

Is this playable on the PS4 with an ordinary controller, or do you need a proper joystick? My old one seems to be defunct…

If previous titles are an indication, this oughta be eminently playable with a controller.

Works fine for me on the regular PS4 controller.

Goddamn it, Eurogamer.

Thanks!

Don’t you know modern autocorrect replaces “pretty” with “viszhaflaflarble”

EG have a great time with the VR missions…

PSVR has slowly become something that’s tempting. Ace Combat 7, Astro Bot, Tetris Effect, Beat Saber, that Psychonauts VR game, and a couple of other things.

Ideally, someone I know will buy it, and let me play it when I go visit them.