Aceru Combatu 7!

OHHHH, okay, got it, thanks!

0 Likes

Correct, no support at all on PC, and minimal support on PSVR.

It’s a timed exclusive until 18 Jan 2020, so if PC support arrives sometime after that then that’s when I’ll be considering buying it. :)

0 Likes

There are two cockpit modes, one with just the hud and one with the full cockpit.

0 Likes

Hmm. Seems like a long exclusive. They’re worried on losing the massive Oculus-PC market?

0 Likes

It’s a year, which seems pretty standard for these things. Note it doesn’t mean it’s def. coming to PC, as Resident Evil 7 never did once its PSVR exclusive expired. :(

I’m not sure what Sony’s worry is… I guess it’s making sure that people who buy VR to play this game buy a PSVR and not a PCVR.

0 Likes

Sony is directly funding a lot of these VR features so they might as well get something for their money.

I preordered 7 on a lark this week, as someone who has never played any Ace Combat before. I’ve been really enjoying it. The story is really languid and strange in its presentation, but I find myself really charmed by it. The cloud rendering is awesome and it feels really cool to be fighting updrafts or a shearing wind while trying to line up a shot, or stay out of enemy radar. It is also incredibly satisfying to take out an A-10 and strafe a fuel storage depot.

I also jumped into multiplayer a bit, and mostly got my ass handed to me by people who knew what they were doing and/or had already tech’d up to F-22s. Was still worth it for the MGP you earn from each round, even if you suck out there and the AWACS guy is very disappointed in your performance.

0 Likes

Thanks man, for your impressions! Really looking forward to getting my hands on this one. Eurogamer also seemed to like it:

@tomchick will you be reviewing this? Please? WIth sugar on top?

0 Likes

I’ve never heard of the series, but it looks up my alley. I added it to my wishlist and will probably buy it when it goes on sale for my Xbox.

I watched a few streams of it and it looks fun.

One question though, does the game take place on earth? It looks like a modern day alternate reality since (I think?) the planes have real life counterparts but the geography doesn’t? Just curious about the setting.

0 Likes

That’s about right on the setting.

0 Likes

It takes place in the Strangereal.

0 Likes

I’ll repeat: the story of Ace Combat 3 (fan translation, not the western release) is head and shoulders above the others and it’s actually pretty cool. It’s a PS1 game, sadly, but it sort of holds up, I think.

0 Likes

Wait… you can’t fool me, one of the Osean ships is called the Sunbro!

0 Likes

Is this playable on the PS4 with an ordinary controller, or do you need a proper joystick? My old one seems to be defunct…

0 Likes

If previous titles are an indication, this oughta be eminently playable with a controller.

0 Likes

Works fine for me on the regular PS4 controller.

0 Likes

Goddamn it, Eurogamer.

0 Likes

Thanks!

0 Likes

Don’t you know modern autocorrect replaces “pretty” with “viszhaflaflarble”

0 Likes

EG have a great time with the VR missions…

0 Likes

PSVR has slowly become something that’s tempting. Ace Combat 7, Astro Bot, Tetris Effect, Beat Saber, that Psychonauts VR game, and a couple of other things.

Ideally, someone I know will buy it, and let me play it when I go visit them.

0 Likes