Aceru Combatu 7!

Is the PSVR driven by the console or standalone? Hopefully there will be another version when the PS5 emerges.

You need to plug it into a PS4.

so there are only 3 standolone VR missions included, welp.

Given that these games are tightly scripted, this shouldn’t be too surprising. The amount of resources needed to create VR vs regular gameplay is probably massive.

I bet these three missions are a tool to gauge interest in (PS)VR aceru combatu. And I hope they make a metric shit ton on this one, so they can make a dedicated VR one. Because that would RAWK .

I have no experience at all with the Ace Combat franchise. Just how “simmy” is it? The PSVR missions sound awesome, but I’ve never been a flight-sim guy. If it’s a little more arcadey though, maybe I could get into this one.

Hmm… thinking about it some more, not sure my point made much sense. Maybe it has to do with optimization work: they’re pushing the envelope graphics-wise, and rendering all of that twice taxes the PS4, so they have to work really hard on optimizing it.

I’m the resident (combat ) simulations geek*1 and I love ace combat games for their zippy zappy gameplay.

Compared to something serious like DCS or il2 it’s almost super Mario. Under no circumstances will your steed try to kill you. Fuel, weapons or weight are no considerations. It’s an even bigger difference than need for speed vs Forza.

Still, A.C. games have simmy roots it seems and there’s basic airmanship involved. Not flying into the ground, lining up things, basic situational awareness, etc. These things will carry over by the way if you ever feel like getting you your jet on for something serious*2 (and VR!).

Ymmv.

*1 @Fishbreath, @Anklebiter and @midnight.mangler might want to contest that
*2 @Anklebiter might have something to say about that too :wink:

I’m not sure that’s it either as Unreal Engine is quite scalable for VR.

Probably the game wasn’t designed for VR from the start, and it was tacked on late in development - I think the game was delayed over a year while they added it?

I also read something about the limited VR being because of all the cutscenes in the main campaign, but plenty of games just render cutscenes on a floating screen in front of the player.

It’s pretty arcadey. Planes have like 100+ missiles in their loadouts. They even give you a control option at the start on how you want turning to work. So don’t let that worry you too much.

I propose a duel: DCS MiG-21, no checklists, tooltips, or English cockpits. First person to take off wins. :P

More seriously, I’m all for the availability of arcadey flight sims, Crimson Skies being among my all-time favorites. One of my friends is a big Ace Combat fan; maybe I’ll have him show me the ropes one of these days.

Here, take my membership card, I haven’t earned it :P

Not so hasty. I’m pretty sure I couldn’t get the engine started either.

MiG-21 and Viggen are the two modules that I haven’t gotten around to taming yet. And still I crave the new ones such as F-14B Tomcat and MiG-19 Farmer. I’m busy learning Russian from a language learning tool so the cyrillic cockpit shouldn’t pose a problem no more.

You’d think so, but 80% of cockpit labels are incomprehensible aviation jargon, in my experience as a semi-competent Russian speaker.

And that’s why we have ace combat: all of the jets, none of the study requirements :D

Still can’t figure out why someone doesn’t do a new game along the lines of Crimson Skies given that everyone seems to remember it so fondly. I personally found the implementation of the game a little bit disappointing, but I loved the conception of it.

I’ll bite.

Ace Combat is awesome. Flying an A-10 or a Hornet and blowing up shit is made for video games. Pure adrenaline.

The planes look cool! They are like birds. There is a visceral connection that bridges the natural with engineering. The planes in Ace Combat represent that.

Humans have lots of things in common. Hornets and Hogs and Raptors are among them. How many people did it take, with shared imagination, to make them? There is beauty there. That is real.

For me, my love affair with jet games gelled with DCS. We all know about the HUD and the front of the cockpit. DCS modeled the left and the right panels to the side as well.

All the switches turning on cockpit lights till the whole cockpit glows, and turning on the walkman to play tunes (yes this is modelled in DCS Viggen and Tomcat)… I don’t know what all the switches do, and I don’t need to know that to blow shit up. Sure am glad they are there though. I recognize the engineering as a beauty itself, and it is real!

At the end of the day video games are meant to have fun. Take that DCS engineering beauty and the fun of Ace Combat and that’s my ideal video game. After killing exactly one billion digital foozles, somethings gotta give.

That’s what we are trying to do with Time Pilot for DCS. We have 9 missions done and a bunch of work to do to polish. It’s funny and not at all “realistic”.

In the meantime thank god for Ace Combat 7…

I was curious about the VR component of this, so I went searching for game play videos and found one from Eurogamer. Anyone who considers themselves a flight sim guru and has anything greater than a mild OCD for correct terminology should not watch this:

That said, holy moly that looks awesome. Now I’m wishing that the PSVR exclusive wasn’t an entire year because there’s no way I’m buying another VR kit just for one game.

Meeper, do you have PC VR kit? If so, I implore you to give one of the flight simulators a whirl. Because yes it is that awesome. For general hooning about you do not have to have a PHD in fighter operations.