Activision's destruction of Guitar Hero continues: Metallica

“In fiscal 2009, we plan to publish Guitar Hero: On Tour for the NDS; Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, Guitar Hero: Metallica, and Guitar Hero IV across multiple platforms,” the company said in its report. Activision’s fiscal year ends on March 31, 2009, which means that the game will likely follow the holiday release of Guitar Hero: World Tour (nee Guitar Hero 4).
Getting kinda ridiculous.

Questions: Exclusive?

Rock Band done with M DLC?

Who’s ruining what franchise?

Got Milk?

If you’re going to do band-themed editions (which is kind of a dumb idea), I have to say that at least Metallica is an infinitely better choice than Aerosmith.

Some of you people are just nuts. This is THE GREATEST FUCKING THING they could do with this franchise. Seriously, I have to go change my pants.

If this was Guitar Hero: Ratt, I could understand people bitching about milking the franchise, but an entire game loaded with Metallica? This has been at the top of the wish list for a lot of people for a long time.

As much as I enjoy Metallica… I don’t know. I’ll reserve judgment until GH: Aerosmith comes out, but I’m not expecting to enjoy this based on the current ideology that harder charts = more fun that GH3 ushered in.

I think his concern is that this forecasts an exclusivity contract between Metallica and Guitar Hero. Which, for those of us that find the latter capable of ruining nearly any song and were really looking forward to more Rock Band content from them, is kind of a mixed bag.

Of course, it could just be that Metallica is big enough to try to have it both ways, which wouldn’t shock me at all. But it would be unfortunate if they were to reward our mass purchase of their pack in RB with just, say, their upcoming singles rather than the stuff we all actually want.

Maybe Neversoft won’t fuck it up. Maybe it won’t be Welcome to the Jungle and Even Flow all over again for me.

If the Metallica on Hard is anything like in Rock Band, I’ve got to get practicing NOW. I just tried Enter Sandman on Hard yesterday for the first time and got my ass handed to me at 9%, and I can get to 98% on One on Hard…

Maybe it won’t be Welcome to the Jungle and Even Flow all over again for me.

But, but…playing those songs is awesome.

If you say so. I love both bands and both songs, and I get much more enjoyment out of Sweet Child and Life Wasted on GH2. The note charts just do nothing for me. Anyways, I’m not going to go on about it yet again, I was just clarifying what I thought MS’s sentiment was. Until Neversoft shows me something decidedly different from GH3, my first reaction to a new release I like from them is to wince at the thought of Rock Band being unable to do it right instead.

Around E3 last year, the Rock Band camp announced plans to bring ongoing Metallica content to the game via DLC. So far, they’ve yet to deliver on that beyond the day 1 pack – my guess is that they have licenses already signed to bring out more songs for this year, and any exclusivity that a GH: Metallica might bring wouldn’t kick in until next year.

I hope so. It would be ideal if this would kick them in the pants and get some of them released, although my guess would be that it’s synced to the new Metallica album coming out this year.

I’d rather have Guitar Hero: Ozzy Edition.

Will GH:Metallica have DRM or not?

(FIRE BAD!)

I might like GH: Metallica, but ultimately, I’d much prefer GH: Metal.

Will GH:Metallica be able to use drums and vocals? Will Activision continue to release GH games with guitar only once World Tour is out?

I’m the same way. I believe Lizard_King and others when they lay the blame on the note chart, but the truth is I don’t know why I don’t enjoy those songs in GH3 even though I love those songs when I’m listening to them outside Guitar Hero. All I know is that for some reason, they’re just not fun to play in Guitar Hero 3 for me. Whereas Sweet Child and Life Wasted on GH2 are fun despite them being not as good to my ears outside the game in comparison to Even Flow and Welcome to the Jungle, and also despite the fact that they were covers in GH2, and original recordings in GH3. So I don’t know the reason why, but I defer to others here on the forum more knowledgeable than me on these matters that the note chart is what’s to blame.

I’d love Guns N Roses on Rockband, and I REALLY want some Metallica songs that aren’t OMG SO FAST, too. For Whom the Bell Tolls would rock my world. Or Creeping Death (would be cool on vocals). I don’t play GH because it’s too limited to me (just guitar, I mean).

I liked the Welcome to Jungle track, but not Evenflow so much.

I’m thinking GH:Metallica is our best chance to play some Diamondhead and Budgie songs, though. Maybe there will be a Last Caress vocal track.

Metallica. Meh. Just isn’t fun to play for me. Enter Sandman is ok in a ‘greatest hits’ sort of way, but every other Fake Plastic Rock metallica song I’ve played just leaves me cold and/or intensely annoyed.

They should have just called it GH:Scorehero Edition.
I predict a bunch of overcharted songs that are fun for Sluggo but not for most people.

At least in RB they’d be more playable. This whole exclusivity shit sucks because I’ll have to buy a crappy game to get some of the songs I want.

If any band can get me back into Guitar Hero, it’d be Metallica. I wish it’d have drum support though.

This game is going to sell like hotcakes.