Activision's destruction of Guitar Hero continues: Metallica

That’s what wumpus called Replicants. In history books he’s the kind of cop who used to call black men ‘niggers’.

That’s the experience I’ve had. People are like “yeah, Metallica” and then “Fuck this” within minutes. I don’t expect this to be different from that, for the most part. Enter Sandman is the only track so far that has been close to a crowd pleaser. Hopefully there’s some more along those lines. I’m still determined to buy it and slog masochistically through it on solo like so much Megadeth DLC. I may have to actually learn to use that damned touch pad.

In looking back over the list, I am most excited about the inclusion of “No Excuses” by Alice In Chains. That’s a RB pack waiting to happen.

If they’re really, truly, including “Master of Puppets,” I’m in.

I wonder, though, is there room for Jethro Tull…?

I wonder why they went with Bob Seger’s Turn the Page and not the rocking Metallica cover? I really do love that cover.

'Cause the Seger version is better.

Why must you always agree with me in such reasonable terms? This makes me angry and unhappy.

Enter Sandman is the only track so far that has been close to a crowd pleaser. Hopefully there’s some more along those lines.

Isn’t “Enter Sandman” pretty much Metallica’s only ‘mainstream’ hit?

the Seger version is better.

I’m embarrassed to admit this, but I actually like Bob Seger and I own both “best of” compilations. You know what utterly sucked to play in GH:WT, sadly? Hollywood Nights. OMG so repetitive and boring. Hopefully that was an anomaly, I would like to try some other Seger songs.

And before you make fun of me for owning both Bob Seger best ofs – I bet anyone reading this can name TEN Bob Seger hit sings without trying very hard. It got to be a running joke on road trips, “how long until we hear some Seger?” and “which Seger song will it be?” I’ve even seen people get it right a few times, which is just scary.

I have read only one post in this thread, and I approve.

It’s hard for me to say, seeing as how I listened to every album preceding Load roughly a million times, and the more recent stuff quite a bit as well. But I would expect (if the intro to One was any indication) that their “softer” songs other than Nothing Else Matters (of which we will not speak again) could have a lot of staying power: Fade to Black, Sanitarium, For Whom The Bell Tolls, etc. Some of the post Load era stuff could be a lot of fun as well. It’s just tough to accept that favorite songs will never be enjoyable at any reasonable level of difficulty, but thems the breaks.

But not integrating into GHWT really sucks. It’s not confirmed yet, but that seems like an obvious early feature to mention. Especially in a year where RB has secured a Pearl Jam album.

No. It isn’t even their highest charting song.

And before you make fun of me for owning both Bob Seger best ofs – I bet anyone reading this can name TEN Bob Seger hit sings without trying very hard. It got to be a running joke on road trips, “how long until we hear some Seger?” and “which Seger song will it be?” I’ve even seen people get it right a few times, which is just scary.

This is one of very few times when betting on my ignorance would be the smart move. I knew exactly one of his songs off the top of my head (Turn The Page), and that only because of Metallica. After looking through his Wikipedia article, I was able to recognize two more (Like a Rock and Old Time Rock n Roll), neither of which I previously knew were his. So I’m seven short, and not ashamed of it. It’s not like I don’t know anything about music of that period, just that I expend no effort on the shitty stuff. I likewise doubt I could name ten Foreigner songs (let’s see…Hot Blooded, Jukebox Hero, Double Vision, Head Games, and Cold as Ice, and the last three are only because of fucking Aqua Teen Hunger Force) or ten Loverboy songs (not a single one, sorry).

I knew 3 were his(Like a Rock, Turn the Page, Night Moves), after looking at Wikipedia I knew 2 more songs as hits but not as Seger.

Metallica gets airplay on non-classic rock stations, and wumpus’ musical myopia may be limiting him here. Your traditional Clearchannel “[your city]'s modern rock” station has definitely has Unforgiven, Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets, and their cover of Turn the Page in it’s playlist. Classic rock or non-Clearchannel stations may throw in Battery, Sanitarium, Fuel, No Leaf Clover, Nothing Else Matters, Unforgiven II, One…

I wouldn’t say I’m a huge Metallica fan, but I just named >10 songs by them. In the time it’s taken me to write that paragraph I already forgot which 5 Bob Seger songs I had heard of before.

Regarding difficulty, they can always underchart, but I think the sort of person who likes Metallica is the sort of person who is good at Guitar Hero. Start at tier 5, play on a lower difficulty if it’s too hard.

Metallica gets airplay on non-classic rock stations, and wumpus’ musical myopia may be limiting him here. Your traditional Clearchannel “[your city]'s modern rock” station has definitely has Unforgiven, Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets, and their cover of Turn the Page in it’s playlist. Classic rock or non-Clearchannel stations may throw in Battery, Sanitarium, Fuel, No Leaf Clover, Nothing Else Matters, Unforgiven II, One…

That’s so strange; I remember Sandman being a HUGE song at the time, really huge massive all over the place huge, but I can’t recall ever (literally ever) hearing any other Metallica songs on the radio. I have historically listened to the radio quite a bit, not the “edgy male teenager” hard rock stations, necessarily, but classic rock for sure.

No. It isn’t even their highest charting song.

Actually per the wikipedia list the only song that charted higher than Sandman (#16) in the primary chart, the US Hot 100, is “Until it Sleeps” (#10). Which oddly I think I’ve never heard. So you’re right but only on a minor technicality. All the other songs are way down the Hot 100; there’s a cluster around #35-ish of “One”, “Unforgiven”, and “Nothing Else Matters” and then a precipitous drop off.

Also, just to clarify, I’m not anti-Metallica. The songs they’ve had in RB (Sandman), RB2 (Battery), and GH3 (One) have been fun to play for the most part and musically pretty interesting (RB DLC pack excepted, those songs are kind of crap IMHO).

A whole GAME of Metallica, I’m not so sure about. We’ll see.

Charting for music is misleading, as it’s usually whatever came right before being the actually hit. Like AC/DC’s Back in Black may be the second highest selling album ever, it’s the following album, For Those About to Rock, that gave them their first (and, until Black Ice, their only) #1 album. Likewise for Electric Light Orchestra’s Discovery, that was their first #1 UK album, though it is definitely the previous album, Out of the Blue, that is the one long remembered.

So yeah, Enter Sandman is definitely their biggest hit. I mean, come on, that’s common sense. I’ve heard other Metallica songs on the radio (Fuel, being one), but none of them come even close to the staple that Enter Sandman is.

Hmm.

…And Justice For All is one of my favorite drum songs in Rock Band.

I lost a lunch meal betting against “Enter Sandman” being Metallica’s greatest hit a few weeks ago…
I thought it’s either “Nothing else matters” or “The Unforgiven”.

Best song to me however on that album is “Sad but true” which I listened to every morning before school (yes I’m old) for some years so I agree that using chart position doesn’t always work.

That’s because it’s a Loverboy song, Urr. And Loverboy has always sucked.

For those of you without GI subscriptions, here’s a USA Today interview with the band on the topic.
It seems like they are aware of the difficulty issue, trying to make it a logical progression (hence no chronological organization of songs).
Nevertheless:

Designed to challenge hard-core players, the game “is a lot harder, especially on drums. Well, it’s a lot harder all around, to tell the truth,” says lead designer Alan Flores. “Most of the songs have a higher level of difficulty, certainly at the end of the game when you are playing the old-school Metallica stuff where you play really, really fast and there’s lot of double bass (drum) playing, fast guitar playing and crazy leads.”

Bad news: Boss battles with attacks. Metallica themed attacks. Hopefully it will be one of those “no thanks” and still progress options, or they’ll keep the on the fly difficulty switching.

I’d just like to submit my appreciation for the wonderful name Midnight Son came up with for this thread. It brings a smile to my face every time. It wasn’t as funny when it was first made, but it’s much funnier now that the thread has been resurrected.

Let’s see, there’s, uh… “Turn Me Loose,” and “Working for the Weekend,” and that’s all I can think of.

As for Metallica, you can frequently hear them on the radio around here. Usually, it’s either “Enter Sandman,” “The Unforgiven” or “Nothing Else Matters,” but “Master of Puppets” and “Turn the Page” are also not uncommon.

And, lately, it seems like every morning my clock radio awakens me to “The Day That Never Comes,” which I mistook for a Dream Theater track on first listen. The guitars really remind me of Petrucci.

Why thank you. And remember: Boss Battles and Metallica Attacks are what make music games great!