Actors who basically play themselves in movies

A comment in the Green Hornet thread about how Seth Rogen usually plays a “Seth Rogen” character got me thinking that this happens a lot. Here’s a couple off the top of my head:

Jack Black - pretty much always plays Jack Black.

Al Pacino - when I see him in a movie I keep thinking “How long until he’s going to do the Al Pacino yell?” “Give me all you got! Give me all you got!”

Jack Nicholson - he’s awesome but pretty much plays himself or a parody of himself over and over.

Any others?

Morgan Freeman.

Michael Cera is a big recent one.

Jason Bateman.

Everyone who was ever on Saturday Night Live.

Other than Slingblade, Billy Bob Thornton.

Sandra Bullock.

In comedies, Robin Williams. (It’s a common problem for stand up comedians, in my opinion.)

Well, Al Pacino was my first thought – but you apparently noticed that too. I don’t think he’s had a role since the early 80’s where he wasn’t just playing Al Pacino.

William Shatner: his roles in the 50’s 60’s and early 70’s showed him to have more range, but ever since Star Trek 2 or so he’s pretty much just been William Shatner, regardless of the role.

Bill Murray, but I kinda cant get enough of him anyway.

Except for All About Steve.

My pick would definitely be Cera.

Samuel L. Jackson and Christopher Walken have been playing themselves at varying levels of parody for years now.
Doesn’t mean I don’t see everything they’re in, but still.

Sounds like someone hasn’t seen World’s Greatest Dad. :)

Ellen Page

Keanu Reeves.

Another vote for Michael Cera.

Doesn’t Kevin Costner win this thread, hands-down?

He’s the only actor with the chops to play Robin Hood, a friggin’ merman, and a baseball player as if they were the same dude.

I haven’t, but it’s on tv tomorrow, so I’ll correct that!

He does serious roles well (one hour photo) but usually when he does comedy, it’s just him.

Harrison Ford

Humphrey Bogart.

Don’t forget the Postman :p

Mmm, yes and no. Compare his performances in Shawshank to Driving Miss Daisy and then again to Seven and you’ll see a completely different character each time. I don’t deny that when he does crappy genre fare he basically phones in the same “dignified old dude” shtick, but when he actually tries, he can be great. Maybe he needs a good director?

I think this is an interesting thread, in particular when thinking of movie stars. Because in some sense, movie stars, unlike character actors, are always themselves. All of them. It’s that very quality that makes them a box office draw - people go because they are expecting to see that star’s “essence” in the role. The thing is, really good movie stars, like Morgan Freeman, are able to simultaneously remain themselves while also evoking the character.

For example, people always tell me that Russell Crowe is always the same in every movie he’s in. Which I think is true, but at the same time, when I compare Cpt. Jack Aubrey to John Nash, they are totally different. I think it is this very trait which makes a movie star a movie star.

I don’t think performance as self should be considered inartful. There are some who excel at it, as well as those who don’t.

Leonardo DiCaprio
Brad Pitt
Nicolas Cage
Robert Downey, Jr.
Ryan Gosling
Johnny Depp
Mark Ruffalo