Adobe Flash 1996-2020

Remove or disable flash player altogether?

That doesn’t do anything for HTML5 video. Chrome 61 has a new preference that will stop some HTML5 videos from autoplaying if it doesn’t mute its audio by default, but it doesn’t work particularly well and is generally unsatisfactory, but better than nothing. Turn it on at:

chrome://flags/#autoplay-policy

And set autoplay policy to “document user activation is required”.

There’s also a “stop HTML5 video” Chrome extension, but it sucks and causes videos to constantly buffer and flicker on the screen.

Firefox fixed this problem years ago with “media.autoplay.enabled” in about:config. That works perfectly.

Firefox has been my chosen browser for over a decade, but the most recent update seems to have made it take three or four clicks to get to bookmarks,which is just absurd. I assume there’s a way to change that, but the default is just painful to use. So, I’m seeing if chrome will do what I want it to do.

Not so much three actual clicks, but three actions for sure. Certainly annoying.

Does CTRL-I not work for you?

Can it be made a click? I love arcane keyboard commands (not), and am a touch typist (not) so that’d be useful.

Not without an extension. I’d be surprised if one doesn’t exist yet. The Bookmarks Menu toolbar button is hidden by default. and is still two clicks, but an extension reduces it to a single click.

CTRL-B for me (although I never close my bookmarks). I’ve had the bookmarks sidebar open on the left side of the screen for so long it seems weird if I ever close it by mistake. Few sites I visit take advantage of the full width of my display, so dedicating a piece to the sidebar seemed reasonable. Would that work?

Oh. Hey. Thanks.

Flash is officially dead

Well, not dead yet, since I heard there are tons of sites that still use it. But life-support has been pulled.

Edit: Or does it just not work at all after Jan 12?

http://zombo.com/

This whole situation is infuriating. Here we are stuck doing remote learning in the middle of a pandemic and they pull support for the tool that huge numbers of useful educational simulations use.

Screw 'em. They had like eight years notice. Got to rip off the bandaid eventually.

Most are no longer updated and haven’t been for awhile, there was no one to give notice to. Old doesn’t mean useless.

Whoever was using those teaching aids also had like 8 years to update.

Most of them have no equivalent. Believe me, I’ve looked. Good ones are hard enough to find as it is, and this crap just deprecated like 2/3 of them. Again, in the middle of a pandemic. It’s a disaster, honestly.

The ones with some funding (like Phet) have been frantically trying to convert their most used sims, but it’s clearly a massive financial strain even for them.

Thank you Flash for making Homestar Runner possible.

So now the Flash plugin is officially dead, and native browser technologies still haven’t caught up with basic Flash functionality, and mobile browsers are still fucking around with blocking media playback whenever it suits them. What a trainwreck.

Indeed, it was a wonderful thing for that reason alone.

Right? It’s completely absurd - it’s not as though there’s a viable Flash replacement out there.