Adobe fucking sucks

Yeah, that sucks. Fortunately, it’s not that hard to remove the old DRM. I bought maybe 3-4 books that used Adobe’s DRM from Fictionwise, thinking they were regular ePub books, and I had to remove the DRM to read them.

Well maybe the problem (for Adobe) is that it was too easy to remove

What a screwup this is going to be for people who aren’t used to this kind of technical stuff. I can just see all the complaints against the poor retailers because the books that people have just bought won’t work on their readers. A big fuck you to Adobe for this. I’m almost tempted to pirate books just out of spite. Well my TBR list is at about 150 right now so at my current pace of 30 books per year I’ve got lots of time for Apprentice Alf to do his work or Adobe to DIAF.

Big fuck you Adobe. My mother has a Sony PRS 650. It’s only a couple of years old but it’s already EOL. What are the odds that Sony are going to release a firmware update for it so that the new DRMed books can be read on it?

On the totem-pole, them fucking up eBook DRM (like how Microsoft fucked it up with PlaysForSure, Games For Windows Live and Zune) is relatively low. As a reminder, Adobe sucks because:

1. Flash and PDF are in top 3 (Java being the other) for security vulnerabilities
  2. Tell your loyal customers to move to a cloud-based subscription that they have to keep paying and paying for endlessly
  3. Then being unable to safeguard millions upon millions of your subscribers’ logins and their personal information, losing them all in a hack
  4. Losing the source code for your PDF and Photoshop products so that bad people can custom code exploits into the format
  5. Adobe Digital Editions is fucking terrible
  6. Adobe Air as a platform is also fucking terrible and encourages exploits that have to be constantly patched against

Time to pirate/backup everything via Calibre I guess. Or choose to do business with a different platform/storefront/e-reader. It IS a good thing EPUB as it stands is easily defeated.

What sucks is that underfunded public libraries everywhere use EPUB via the OverDrive system.

What am I missing?

I just never ‘got’ the whole e-book thing. Off course you were going to end up getting shafted by the hardware and software components, this is ultra-capitialist 2014 people.

I’ve been slowly moving back to old tech (proper old school typewriters, foot powered sewing machines, classic cars etc), the old stuff works, last longer (if you look after it) and doesn’t try to suck money out of you like a leech as part of it’s design and construction methodology. My books are all paper.

I imagine all the useful toolbars both Flash and Java install. Oracle and Adobe are soo good and beneficial companies that think in the user.

Nate is being a drama queen as ever.
Only new books will require the new DRM, for starters.

Also, it’s entirely possible for this to happen without actually impacting devices. Nook’s, for example, already re-encrypt ADEPT ePub’s to their own DRM scheme. What gets loaded onto the device is Nook’s OWN DRM. This could quite easily continue (and I expect it will), with a server and PC client update.

(And things like the Sony readers require you to connect to a PC to load books anyway. They still support BBeB, for example, and I believe you can force loading those on…only the very first sony reader, the PRS-500 would be left out in the cold since it’s the only one which can’t support both)

I mean…Adobe are being idiots (again), but let’s not panic.

You nailed it. I’ve been crowing about how crappy Adobe is for ~15 years, and they continue to not give a crap to fix all the security problems with their platforms. I wish someone would sue them and Oracle ie. Java for basically compromising half the Internet. Those two companies have created more grief than everyone else combined.

Speaking of which they released an out of band flash player update today to fix a 0 day

I don’t think I share your optimism. It may only affect new books but new books are what I want to buy and we don’t know for sure that older books won’t also be affected. Also, I’m fairly certain that readers will require a firmware update for the new adobe DRM.

Actually, we do on older books. There isn’t a revoke mechanism.

And I’m saying that for example the Nooks don’t actually send ADEPT DRM’ed ePub’s to the device via either their shop’s server or their own PC app (but use their own DRM) - so the “worst case” there is you load it into the desktop app and export it to the Nook. Sony’s can do the same with BBeB, Kobo with Kepub, etc.

Makes a lot more sense than fussing with firmware.

And those older off-brand readers? Most of them never supported ADEPT in the first place. Heck, half of Adobe’s “supported” list never even came out (and another chunk is desktop apps)
I’m more pissed about the new Nook not having a SD card slot…back to Kobo for me for my next reader I guess (Especially as I don’t buy DRM’ed books).

Article now says that Adobe had backed off their more onerous plans.

Looks like basically completely. Go figure.

(And some expensive textbook producers who want it still get their better DRM - those files don’t work well on small screens anyway)

Adobe still fucking sucks.

Adobe finds a way to make other software to suck, by his mere existence.

With some defaults options in Adobe, a 16x16 pixels png icon can weight 4.5 MB