Adult Toys

I sometimes idly wonder if there are more advanced, adult-oriented versions of those model kits of cars and planes and such. More complexity, more metal, more parts, more painting, etc. Casual googling usually just turns up vendors with vaguely-described, old, and usually out-of-stock kits of unknown quality though, so it seems like it’s become a fairly niche hobby. Is there a good starting point for that kind of thing nowadays?

There is definitely a thriving market for armor and airplane models, I assume there is for cars as well. The kits have become very detailed and there are a ton of aftermarket conversions, brass etched parts, high detail resin parts, etc.

I have this really awesome Tiger kit where almost every access panel comes off and the compartments are fully detailed. Some day I will build it.

My armor kits have been in storage for awhile and I haven’t kept up with the scene, but there are magazines like FineScale Modeler that would probably get you up to speed quickly.

edit: Also note that this can be a deep, deep rabbit hole to go down. People spend three or four times the base kit amount in addons and then do crazy things like cut everything in half and add a 2mm spacer to the hull in order to make it perfectly to scale, and then shave off all the rivets to replace them with special aftermarket ones because the ones that are molded onto the hull are model 115b and everyone knows the real tank used model 115b2 rivets.

This is a problem. Computer games, and computer stuff in general are quite cheap when compared to other hobbies. If you don’t count the hardware cost.

I was looking at getting into photography and I was looking at about a €500/600 investment at the lower end of the hobbyist scale, with a digital camera. A film camera would be cheaper, I could get an old SLR and lenses for about €100 but then I’d be looking at about another €200 for chemicals and the like, plus the space it’d take up at home.

I was also looking at homebrewing: Carboy costs, hops, barley and yeast, extracts, thermometers, hygrometers, sterilising solutions, and again the space to do it.

Wargaming models: Paints and brushes about €50, models about €100.

Archery: Although the main problem was getting up Saturday mornings, I really just couldn’t commit to anything more than a beginners course and even then I know I couldn’t continue from it with the cost of equipment.

I was asked to set up a branch of the Munster Supporters Club and I can’t do that because I’d have to be able to afford going for a full night out once a week, plus trips to the occasional match.

I eventually got my head into programming a few days ago. The IDE was free, got a book from the library and help from nerdy forums. Computer stuff is actually quite cheap, so if you don’t want to spend a lot of money look for either an introductory course, or something that comes “all in.” But I’d imagine even something self-contained like a modelling kit would be expensive when you get to the adult level of enjoyment.

So, it’s going to be expensive no matter what you do. Just make sure you actually want to do it first. Read up about it, see if you can play with someone else’s stuff first. And with most hobbies being niche, the real afficionados don’t care if you start out with the cheapo beginner’s set, they’re just happy to see someone new involved and are usually happy to help.

Edit: I realise this has turned into a writing on the whinge I’ve been indulging for the past few months, i.e. I couldn’t find a decent job and went back to university meaning I don’t have money to indulge myself.

Even for the price, nothing beats LEGO. Seriously.

Everything from trains, to big honking construction equipment, to robots, to whatever you can imagine:

So you’re saying it’s a new toy every day? Interesting.

You know what I miss? Lite Brite! I would play with one of those right now if I had one. Screw Tales of Vesperia! Glowing pegs!

Without turning this thread into a nostalgia thread: Fuck yea, Lite Brite fucking rocked. Holy Shit, I’m actually searching on ebay for one now. They were a huge part of my childhood, and I’m proud to say I don’t think I ever ate a single peg.

Man this was a pretty awesome thread title I must say. I’ve been at the library all day and I was too scared to click on it until just now, and I had my mouse over the little X ready to close it at the first sight of a picture.

I just played some Civ this morning, and that Colisseum would be right up my alley. Of course, it’s not showing as available right now so I’ll have to search.

edit - Hmm. There’s also a Pyramid set …

ThinkGeek also has an okay selection of toys, but there is so much gaaarbaaage (at amazon too)… Some of the stuff looks like it was explicitly designed to be flashy enough to look like a cool gift, but not actually fun to buy and own for personal use. Plus, they have stupid shit like: Caffeinated Blood energy drinks in the toy category.

This is sort of the problem when looking for good, fun, toys, is that there’s simply so much jokey crap to wade through.

How come they show us a cool ass pic of the Coliseum but all they sell are garages and gas stations? That’s just false advertising man.

You aren’t man enough for this toy:

Electric RC car 1:10 scale.

Fucking awesome. I race every Friday Night. A friend has a great 100’ oval with 5’ high banks.

Damn, that’s a huge oval for an RC race isn’t it? I wouldn’t know, but that sounds cool.

How much are you putting into that hobby per year do you think?

Ooh, thanks for the tip, googling for that magazine looks like a good starting point. There’s definitely an armour and plane bias to their content, but it looks like there’s a lot of info in the forums, too.

Not technically an adult toy for me since I built one when I was 12, but this thread reminded me of it. I even had the same paint job. :)

The very few times I’ve ever used a remote control car/dune buggy/truck I always vocalized vroom vroom and catastrophic crashing sounds type sounds as it sped around and crashed into stuff. Am I the only one here does this?

It’s pretty decent right now. You can get a Ready-to-Run for about $250, kick in another $100 for 2 batteries and charger and you’re good to go. 70% of the replacement parts are $3-$5, so your expenses are directly related to your driving skill (& luck since we do have a few crashes). The more spares you have the more racing you do (less down time). I probably have $100 invested in spares alone and spend about $30 every few months to restock.

The other 30% of expenses vary depending upon how much you drive. Motors, servos and tires all eventually wear out. A full set of tires for example can run you $40. I figure about $150 each year on these.

I had to tilt my head a couple of times, but I finally got it. That would be really nice to have around, heehee.

That seems better than I expected, especially since most of that (after the initial buy-in) would be spread out over the year.

Do you do most of your part-buying online, or do you go to a local hobby shop?

Tman, out of curiosity how much is a decent kit these days?