Advance Wars and Fire Emblem

I wasn’t too high on Advance Wars, will I still like Fire Emblem?

Possibly.

More story, units that can’t be replaced, and a bit deeper combat.

VERY different games. FE is more of a SRPG, although it does have the whole rock/paper/scissors dynamic like AW. FE gives you control over character development, the units go away when they die, there is more story, etc. I like both games a lot, but for different reasons. What about AW did you not like?

I liked FE more than Advance Wars.

I have to echo Robert here, what did you dislike about AW?

Same here. I played Advance Wars first and liked it OK, but the sameness wore on me and I put it down after a month or so.

I just like the leveling and inventory management stuff more I guess because Fire Emblem I played incessantly. It is not that it is super deep, it is just that all the little bits from the strategy and RPG sides of the game fit together so well. More than the sum of its parts type deal.

Think they’d make Advance Wars for the PSP? That would be excelletnt.

I liked Advance Wars much more then Fire Emblem. So there.

me too :P

It’d be called something else, like Portable Wars. Excepte that’s in bizzaro world where Nintendo would make a game for the PSP.

It’d be called something else, like Portable Wars. Excepte that’s in bizzaro world where Nintendo would make a game for the PSP.[/quote]

Darn… There’s some great strategy/rpg games I’d like to see on the PSP.

Advance Wars is better for my OCD because I won’t keep replaying a scenario just to keep all my units alive…

No kidding, there’s something nice about disposable units, I just don’t get attached. Just bought Fire Emblem (first), now I’ll find out just how different it is…

Amen, brother. How can I just sit there and let all of the cute blue hairs die because of my stupidity? Unacceptable. Hellllllloooooo, 37th replay of the same scenario.

I lose a tank because of my stupidity? The wages of war.

I played the first Advance Wars for a bit. It was fun but nothing really compelled me to keep playing.

Fire Emblem is (un)Holy Crack to me for some reason. I can’t stop playing. When I screw up and lose someone I do start over but I don’t mind. I enjoy the challenge. The tension gets really ratcheted up in Fire Emblem. I never felt any investment in Advance Wars like I do in Fire Emblem.

Got the game yesterday. Only on the 3rd mission and I have to say that the RPG elements certainly add something to the game. What I really like is the different ways that some units can attack (sword or spear) which helps to diversify the game itself.

That’s just it. I felt too much.

Of course, I tried to level everyone up equally, which sometimes meant using characters in the later missions who absolutely should not have been there.

“Level 5 mage vs. Level 15 wyvern rider? Great!”

I much preferred Advance Wars to Fire Emblem, which I found too childish in tone.

I much preferred Advance Wars to Fire Emblem, which I found too childish in tone.[/quote]

You found Advance wars less childish then, is that it? :)

Advance Wars is all about the multiplayer. My friends and I have pulled many an all-nighter with it.

Amen, brother. How can I just sit there and let all of the cute blue hairs die because of my stupidity? Unacceptable. Hellllllloooooo, 37th replay of the same scenario.

I lose a tank because of my stupidity? The wages of war.[/quote]
Huh, I have the exact opposite OCD. I’m terminally afraid of losing units at all (in any other tactical game too, RTS’, chess, Go, etc.), so I tend to play overly defensively and then fall apart as soon as anything on my side dies. What were the little foot soldiers thinking as I unwittingly placed them in the path of an oncoming Neotank squad? Did they bravely charge to their deaths in a tragic display of misguided zealotry, or did they hold their defensive positions to the bitter end, sinking into despair as one friend after another was blown away cursing the incompetent CO for watching their gruesome deaths on a sanitized GBA display?

So yeah, FE is right up my alley.