Advice for a new desktop.

Like I said, I was talking about desktop stuff, browsing the web, etc. It definitely helped my gaming framerates.

Wait, a PC is used for other stuff besides games and forum posting?

:D

People use PCs for forum posting?

Have to. Can’t see the little letters on the phone.

I don’t disagree it could be faster… but also a new computer comes with a bunch of software and hardware cleanups and improvements. Off the top of my head, a big one is the reduction in background programs and processes running, which build up over the years. Windows and Steam and Chrome browser caches are empty, no dormant browser extensions, the Acrobat update wizard is no longer searching for Acrobat update updates :), the video card has a clean driver and graphic settings are reset, the Windows Page file is reset (this was actually a big one for me recently, it somehow was set to 500mb!), hard drives are cleaned up. That’s all software, chances are the new SSD and RAM are faster too, SATA 6 vs 3, USB 3.1 vs 2, new graphics cards.

You can duplicate the new OS experience by installing W10 :)

SSD clone, install W10, drop new video card. You aren’t losing any SSD’s. I have a couple of SSDs in my main machine. You just add the extra old ones as a new Steam folder.

I had to look it up myself.
And I believe I have identified the true source of the problem.
He is apparently rocking a hard drive from 1973.
I’m amazed it still works. With a modern motherboard no less.

Probably more like this kinda Winchester.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/winchester-systems-raid-arrays-feature-1-tb-sas-drives-925378.htm

Winchester is the shorthand we used back in the day for any traditional harddrive with a platter and all. I actually DID work with ancient large platter drives though, on a VAX 11/780 system I ran in Germany.

Okay, decided to get a stupid processor to go with my stupid video card. Just ordered a Core i9-9900K and Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero. Between video editing and Prepar3D, I actually can take advantage of the extra cores and threads.

It’ll be interesting to see how the perf compares with the ancient-but-still-quite-speedy Core i7-3960X I’m running in my old productivity rig. The high-end motherboard/i9 chip combo is still cheaper than that 3960X chip alone was when it was new.