Advice for a new desktop.

Don’t need a new GPU either, if you’re running at 1080p or maybe even 1440p.

Well, I figure he must be experiencing some issues. If everything was running smoothly, why the sudden itch to get a new machine?

Maybe it’s the 1TB Winchester at fault? I’m not sure what a Winchester is. Is that an SSD or a hard drive? If the latter, replacing that with an SSD might actually be exactly the thing that’s needed.

Well, it’s an ivy bridge so it’s probably 6 years old. Problem is new CPUs aren’t really much faster. You can upgrade if you’re feeling that itch, I’ve done it myself, just don’t expect to get much out of it.

Is that a Nvidia 480 or an AMD 480? It’s not clear, and may be causing confusion with the recommendations.

Oh. Yeah, I assumed it was an AMD RX-480.

Can I interpret this chart in that the best value seems to be the 70 series as it has tended to work out to two steps forward, where the 60/80 tend to work out to one step forward?

Yeah that’s a reasonable way to look at it. The x70 models are generally binned x80s, and they are the premiere medium-size Nvidia chips for their generation, generally followed up with an x80ti in a year or so for the large-size.

And that was a bit of a simplification, sometimes you’ll see a -ti in a consumer grade part like the 1050ti. But generally you just look one previous generation one step up, and that’s how it performs.

Well, smh. I just checked and for some reason I thought it was a 480 but it’s actually a…GTX 670? Whatever that is. Mine is a 970.

Anyhow, the machines are not running poorly in terms of performance. The hardware has been constantly running, as in we don’t turn off the machines, for five years now. I’m in zero hurry to replace either of them, but I’m also not interested in, say, investing in another SSD for my wife’s machine as old as it is. A new video card maybe.

670 can play games at 1080p, but isn’t great at it. My personal benchmark for a good 1080p GPU is the 1050/960/780. I would look to upgrade that GPU if it impacts your gameplay. You can get a RX-580 for around $250 these days.

That’s not a bad idea. If her game experience degrades we may do that. I would not be adverse to getting new machines simply to have newer hardware from a durability standpoint, but then again, if it is working, maybe not mess with it. Modern electronics seem to either die immediately or live forever.

This. My i2500k is still rocking along just fine with a 1070.

You’d think that from a numbers standpoint, but I upgraded my 2500k to an 8700k and I have no words to describe how much smoother and effortlessly faster it feels.

I still have my old system right next to it and use it for recording, streaming and editing and miscellaneous things so it’s not just my imagination. In practice it’s a noticeable difference in every way.

I wonder how much of that is because it is a fresh install? Faster SSD? At any rate, I meant more that processors in that age bracket are still perfectly capable, not that there hasn’t been improvement.

I upgraded the old pc to windows 10 fresh just before I got the new pc and both are booting from ssds. So that’s not really a factor.

I also then had the 1070 before I got the new pc and swapped it over. Everything is faster and snappier with the same amount of ram also.

I upgraded from an i7-920 to a 6700k and literally could not tell any difference outside of benchmarks. So, something is wrong with your old computer.

And some people can’t tell the difference between a DVD and a Blu-ray, or 60hz vs 120+.

So, whatever floats your boat. I can absolutely quantify large gains in games, steaming and encoding, but the intangible “feel” is also better whether or not I can define it.

Kind of how just putzing around the desktop at 120+hz vs 60 just feels better. It really shouldn’t matter on paper, but it just does.

Oh yes, I was talking about standard desktop stuff which felt essentially identical. Need to be careful about intangibles as you just spent a thousand dollars and are vulnerable to choice-supportive bias.

How does Nvidia keep this bottled up so well? I just want to know if the 1180 will have more memory than the 1080 Ti and that’s still a big unknown even weeks from launch!

I pretty much got what I expected. I certainly don’t think just because it cost something that I enjoy it. I’ve immediately sold expensive crap that I hated. I’m not rich, but if something doesn’t do what I want I get rid of it.

I also have no stake in convincing anyone of something, it’s just my personal experience as a fairly picky person.

I am gonna disagree with @stusser , my upgrade from a i7-2600k to a 7700k , gave me VERY noticeable gaming performance when playing at 4k. But its probably a little of everything really a better motherboard, ssd, and faster / more RAM that helped also.