Advice for purchasing a new PC monitor

I ended up getting a nice USB-C to HDMI cable and it works well in Windows and MacOS. While I don’t get the charging or use of the USB ports on the monitor, the picture quality looks better to me than it did in MacOS with the USB-C cable. I don’t have so many peripherals that I have need of the USB ports in the monitor base, so I should be good to go now.

On a whim I was looking for a G-sync 27" IPS monitor, but it doesn’t seem like a good one exists. Most gaming monitors seem to be TN while the expensive Asus and Acer models have lots of reviews complaining about various problems from image retention, light bleed, or stuck pixels. I haven’t had a device/monitor with a dead pixel in so long I thought it wasn’t really an issue anymore (knock on wood).

Am I missing some great monitor, or are there any planned releases of one in 2018?

Someone else posted this before in another thread I think. This is not GSync but it is 144Hz (and IPS). I wonder how much tearing you’ll notice at such a high refresh rate anyways?

Several of us here have the Asus and Acer models and I don’t think any have been unhappy. I love my Acer, personally.

My Acer Predator technically has light bleed, but it’s only noticeable on a pitch black screen, which rarely comes up and is never visible in any practical use case for me. I also have to power-cycle it once every 50 times or so that it changes resolution or goes to sleep because of a weird firmware glitch that has been fixed on any more recently produced variant of the monitor (which ranks as a minor inconvenience). Highly satisfied despite those two minor gripes.

Heaps. Better playing with V-sync on.

I was thinking about getting one or the other, but spending that kind of money on a monitor, even one dead pixel is unacceptable. I guess I could go through Best Buy so I am not having to ship anything back if there was a problem…

No pixel issues here. Zero light bleed in a dark room. Heck, my only annoyance with the Acer is that the power button is very fiddly (as in you have to press it multiple times to register turning off or on).

Definitely check with others that have them. But it’s an expensive piece of hardware. It’s not unreasonable to expect the quality to match. I also expect a monitor to last a long time, which makes the price a bit easier to justify.

You’re right, but having vsync on wouldn’t kill performance as much if the monitor refresh rate is super high, so that’s a plus.

I’ve also got the Acer. Uhh, let me see XB270HU. 1440p, IPS G-Sync display.

There’s a newer version out there, but no complaints. I love it.

I don’t think I’ve touched the power button since I turned it on the 1st time, so can’t vouch for it’s fiddliness, but great screen.

I’m tempted by bigger/4K screens, but I still think a 1440p resolution is the sweet spot for ‘Ultra’ settings on a single GPU rig.

For reference, @LeeAbe, I have the 271 (red feet). mono has the round, black base

I think you mean Otagon

Sorry, meant mono

Oooh.

I have monitor questions. After getting used to the display on my 15" Retina MacBook Pro, my 27" Acer S271HL is hurting my eyes with the non-retina text. I am thinking of getting a U2715H. Is the text quality on that near-retina quality?

No, 2560x1440 at 27" is the standard resolution. “Retina” would be 5k at 27", 5120x2880. 5k monitors are very tough to find, though, because current Displayport standards can’t handle it at 60Hz with a single cable. I think you’ll find a 4k 27" display looks fantastic but won’t break the bank. You won’t see pixels unless you have great vision or sit really close to your screen.

The dot pitch on a 15" MBP is 220 pixels per inch.
The dot pitch on a 27" QHD monitor is about 108.8 pixels per inch.

Dell has some 4k monitors but you’ll need a Thunderbolt/USB-C to Mini Displayport adapter.

Ok, so maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Monitor-P2715Q-27-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00PC9HFO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517106274&sr=8-1&keywords=P2715Q

Yep that’s Dell’s older 4k 27". The Wirecutter recommends the LG over it, by a smidgeon. It supports freesync which makes it a clear choice if you have an AMD GPU.

Ok, great. Thanks. So, the LG or the P27 and one of these cables should get me decent text then?