Advice for purchasing a new PC monitor

Yeah that will work fine.

I picked up the LG Wirecutter recommended. Holy cow, this is an amazing monitor. I did have a problem with only getting 30hz off my Apple multipart adapter (the one that is USB-C to HDMI/POWER/USB-A. Switching to an HDMI-USB-C makes me think that I’m getting 60hz. There is no pull down menu in Display Properties anymore with that adapter. I do have a usb-c to Display port cable coming, though.

Other than that, I’m getting text pretty damn close to my MacBook Pro screen on this keyboard so I’m a happy camper.

That Apple adapter will only support 30MHz for HDMI. I bought a nice cable that does. It works when I’m booted into Windows 10 but not in MacOS, where it constantly flickers. Google around and you’ll see a lot of the more recent MBP’s apparently have this issue.

I was at Costco this afternoon and stumbled upon this for $299. Am very tempted. Any thoughts?

I saw this one at Costco last weekend, as well, and was also considering it (current 1680x1050 HP monitor is failing, but it is nearly 10 years old). But two things made me reconsider: it’s a TN panel and there’s no height adjustment. :-(

Yeah, it’s TN, but it’s got pretty great reviews, especially after you adjust the brightness/colors.

Think I’ll swing on by today and take a closer look at it. I suppose my next biggest concern is that I only have an R9 290, which can drive 1440p fine, but 4K is asking a bit much. I suppose I could try pixel-doubling? On the other hand, it has Freesync! I’ve never owned a Freesync/Gsync monitor, so I’m really itching to see one in action.

Yeah, what is weird is it advertises is can run 60hz.

It does, but only up to 1080p

My understanding is that modern mid-high end TN panels are much, much better than they used to be. @stusser can probably confirm.

Yeah, my Dell 144Hz G-sync panel looks better than the Korean 1440p IPS monitor I have mounted next to it.

Went to Costco, spent a long time looking at it, and bought the 28-inch Samsung TN display. Costco has a generous return policy, so why not give it a shot?

Excellent! Please provide impressions when able!

Okay, been playing around with it for a few hours now.

This is a pretty solid monitor. I’m coming from a good 1440p IPS display, but I don’t really miss it. I’m running with no scaling, which makes everything small, but still very usable. On my Surface Book’s 13.5-inch display, I have to scale at about 150% otherwise everything is way too small at 3000x2000. But at 28-inches, 4K is fine.

Tweaked some of the colors out of the box, and it looks good. Viewing angle isn’t as good as before, but this is a computer monitor; you’re sitting in front of it the entire time, and it’s not like there’s other people watching it, too.

Spent a lot of time playing around with different resolutions and graphical settings in Squad. I can run at 4K, but I’m looking at frame rates in the 20s. Not really playable. But I’m totally cool with running the game at 1080p. As 4K is four times 1080p, the scaling is acceptable. Text and such is not razor sharp, but that’s the tradeoff until I can afford a next-gen video card.

I will say that adaptive sync is great. I had no idea what I was missing. I’ve never seen adaptive sync in action because you need an adaptive sync display. But now that I’ve seen the difference, it’s night-and-day. Even at 1080p, Squad can drop frame rates in the 40s and 50s, but with adaptive sync motion is a lot smoother than before.

About my only complaint is that there are some light scratches on the screen surface, which is sorta unacceptable on a new device out of the box. I can only see them when the screen is off, but I’m debating on whether it’s worth packing it up and hauling it back to Costco for a new one.

You don’t use scaling at 4k on a 28" monitor? You must have great eyes.

Everything should be completely sharp at 1080p on a 4k monitor, as it’s pixel-perfect scaling.

Yeah, The in-game text is pretty sharp. What was sorta blurry was some text on some textures. But I just played for an hour and the image quality was very good.

Another nice thing: this thing sips power at just 42 watts. Touched the back of it after playing a shooter for an hour and it’s barely warm. I remember the “old” LCDs that used fluorescent bulbs; those could put out some serious heat.

My 1440p display (a 27-inch LED IPS screen) uses 63 watts! And my 10-year-old Dell 24-inch 1920x1200 display can eat up to 110 watts!

My current monitor is a generic 23" 1080p 60Hz that came with a package desktop around 6 years ago. It’s worked well enough but I’m interested in an upgrade. I work and play on the computer so want to balance those two, and am thus interested in an ultra wide setup (instead of 2 side by side). I have a Titan X, but am really put off by the shape tick up in prices for monitors with G-sync.

One I’m looking at is this - any thoughts? Suggestions?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BMES072/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Damn, I paid $800 for my Dell 34" back in 2015.

That display has good reviews, though I think Gsync is arguably worth the higher price.

If you have a fancy GPU would you not be better off at 3440 x 1440? That cost me about $700 from Dell a year or two ago, with a fixed 60Hz max refresh. The ultra-wide aspect is very nice in any case.

I bought a VESA stand, put my Planar PXL2790MW 1440p monitor in portrait mode, and put it next to my new 4K display.

It’s ridiculously awesome. A 27-inch, 1440x2560 IPS LED display means web pages are fricking amazing.

Not monitor but related inquiry:
I have setup my monitor to be plugged to both my PC and my Mac through a switcher. I haven’t had any issue with the PC, but with the Mac, the video link sometimes cut for half a second. Looking up online, I read that the Mac laptops are supposedly especially picky about the quality of their HDMI cable.
I tried switching my cables around, but no matter what, the Mac got that issue. So, here is my question: does anybody know what should I be looking for on the package of an HDMI cable’s box to be sure it is a high quality enough for my snob of a laptop?