Advice for purchasing a new PC monitor

I did. That SDR slider does not make any difference. It’s still not practical to turn it on For browsing and general Windows use.

Weird, I have a completely different experience. I have the HDR toggle turned on all the time, and with the slider adjusted SDR content looks about 95% the same with it on or off.

HDR in Windows 10 looked pretty bad, it was as if stuff constantly flickered when you moved UI elements around etc. At least on my Samsung LC27HG70Q.

Yeah, never seen anything like that either. Sounds like I am the unicorn!

I envy you. What monitor are you using??

My monitor doesn’t support HDR, but I enable it when playing from the couch on my TV. It is a Samsung NU8500.

Bear in mind the screen overall isn’t going to be particularly bright, it’s just that the peak brightness is much higher. The overall light levels hitting your eye could be lower than on an SDR image, in principle. Indeed, one of the complaints about the implementation of game mode HDR on pre-2018 LG OLEDs is that the image is too dark.

My gaming PC is well over 4 years old now, but it still didn’t seem worth the money to replace it, so I figured I would do some upgrades.

I picked up a Dell Alienware 34 curved monitor and a GeForce RTX 2060 to drive it. Upgrading from a 970GT which was getting a little long in the tooth.

So far so good. Everything from the past few years that I have tried supports 3440X1440, but there are some occasionally oddities. The 2060 seems to be able to handle everything at that resolution fine.

It looks amazing. I am not really a FPS gamer, so it’s kind of wasted on me, but still neat. In strategy games it just means seeing more of the map. In Grim Dawn I can see mobs way before I was in the their activation areas. Far Cry 5 and Subnautica look amazing on it.

Not cheap at $900. But it is huge and supports GSync. I am not a huge fan of Dell computers (especially Alienware), but I have always found their monitors to be excellent.

I really do need to clean up my cable mess.

Does the sharp stand takes up a lot of space? I find these triangle designs with three sharp pointed legs takes up a lot of table space.

I have the same desk as you, great height adjustable desk.

The triangle is pretty unobtrusive, IMO, because of how most of it sits behind the monitor. It’s wide enough that you can keep a center channel speaker between the legs or something else. So instead of a large square monitor stand taking up space, there’s really just two points where the legs come down that are taken up.

Of course, I replaced a dual 27" monitor setup with mine so that might be throwing me off, but after the switch my desk feels much more roomy.

It does, but as KevinC said, it’s mostly in the rear, so not a big deal. Probably the next time I want to push my keyboard back out of they way it will annoy me though. This monitor in general makes this desk feel too small now.

I thought about getting an arm, but non of the ones I saw are rated for a 26 lb monitor. Amazon’s come close, and someone in the Q&A section said they are using it with a 34" monitor though, so I might try that.

Ikea is great for nice simple desks.

I got one that I use on a 34"/22lb. The arm stays up and down, but the tilt plate is not great. The monitor is not perpendicular to the desk, but angled such as the top is closer to me than the bottom. It’s probably around 3 degrees towards me.

Ideal position of monitor is strange because it’s so big. I make it higher than I deem comfortable because it stops me from hunching so much, but I’m not sure.

I have that same monitor and put it on an old Ergotron LX arm. Works great. I didn’t even think to check the weight, I just figured it would be fine, and it is. I had to adjust the resistance screw on it of course, but that’s it.

Resistance screw? Hmm gotta go look.

Sekiro is the only recent title that comes to mind.

That’s supports it, or has oddities?

Doesn’t support 21:9 resolutions.

So following the gnatastrophe, I’m in need of a new work monitor.

Current monitor (with the dead gnat) is this one (1440p 27" BenQ) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYCSRSG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’d like 27" or close to it (no larger than 32", though, want to keep some space on my desk for things other than a monitor, and also don’t want to make my eyes explode), preferably same resolution or 4k (not really needed, but wouldn’t kick it out of bed). Prefer decent color reproduction if possible, and visuals that aren’t too fuzzy. I don’t need it to be a super gaming monitor; while I game at work (obviously), high refresh rates etc. are not super important to me - work is.

Any recent recommendations?

I’m more familiar with the gaming end so can’t give you recommendations there, just wanted to offer condolences about your monitor. Taken down by a gnat, no one wants to go out like that…