Advice for purchasing a new PC monitor

I just picked up this baby:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-34-ips-165hz-uwqhd-hdr-amd-freesync-gaming-monitor-black/6483571.p?skuId=6483571

Get in a couple of days.

the 34 inch is great.

I haven’t used the 49 in over a year, but I don’t recall any game issues.

Then again, I play almost only strategy games, with the odd bit of Monster Train thrown in, so I don’t think they strain things.

Biggest issue is the footprint.

Yep, no showstopper issues with the aspect ratio. A few titles don’t support the widest aspect ratio and get letterboxed on the sides. And MSFS scenery gets a bit distorted at the outer edges.

Sorry, I know this is two weeks old but I’m getting caught up on the thread. Totally agree with you here. I know ultrawide fans are probably the tech equivalent of vegans (how do you know someone has an ultrawide monitor etc etc) but it’s hard not to rave about it once you have it. I’ll never go back.

If you don’t mind me asking, what 34" ultrawide did you get?. You rave about it but never said what it is. Thanks.

They distort the picture and I like using two monitors. For a very ultra-wide like a 49", it would of course be unusable without a curve.

Before someone says it, ultrawides don’t replace multiple monitors. I keep different programs running on the second monitor (chat, email, notes, etc) while the primary might be playing a fullscreen game or whatever.

Sorry, I forgot I was originally hemming/hawing between a few different flavors.

The one I went with was the 34GP950G-B.

For the price, you can save quite a bit going with a slightly different version of this same device, the one I was originally looking at, but this one has higher color accuracy and out of the box configuration (no burning need to buy a Spyder or whatever), while having just in general what I saw from reviews as an excellent display. One other thing, this model, vs. the less expensive one, has better response time at specifically 60hz - and a lot of the time I cap my games at 60fps as I feel that’s a very smooth experience that doesn’t make my GPU fans start to get so loud I notice them. I’m just a little tender with my GPU with how hard it might be to replace some day, I suppose.

EDIT: By the way, the reason this coming with different gamma presets being a big deal is my previous monitor, a 27" ASUS g-sync display that cost me $800 back in 2017, had no gamma adjustments and it was WAY too bright by default, so I had to use Windows Color Calibration to both reduce gamma a few notches and also scale back on the green a little bit - a setting that Windows would fucking forget every other time I woke it up from sleep, and I’d have to jump into personalized settings to force it to re-load my setting. 4 years of that got pretty old. This display does indeed look amazing right out of the box (at the deepest/darkest gamma preset) so I haven’t had to do any tweaking, which was really nice.

Thanks!

I see that monitor is curved. I hate curved monitors. Does anyone know if they make non-curved ultrawides?

I could have done without the curve, but when I looked into non-curve monitors I read several folks that felt the same way end up returning the non-curved because with the wide format it’s not as easy to enjoy the edges when they are flat/perpendicular to you. I will say I don’t notice it’s curved when I’m using it, and I don’t mind one bit, and from what I had read it may be a Good Thing™.

They do, but not ultra, ultra-wides. For example this Gigabyte is essentially a 2560x1440 monitor with an additional 33% width. I like the form factor and price but a) F Gigabyte, b) I want 4k, and c) It’s barely HDR400.

Anything wider than 34% or so you need the curve at standard desktop viewing distances.

Thanks for the explanation. I was just curious. FWIW, I certainly have never noticed any distortion on a curved screen.

It isn’t noticeable on the curved screen, it looks normal there, but it looks weird to people on non curved screens. This doesn’t actually much matter to me as I’m not an artist (God knows) but I do like having the real picture in front of me.

My UW (34") is curved and I like it. A year before I had purchased a curved Samsung TV when I saw a great deal on one and I don’t notice the curve whatsoever, felt gimmicky and I assumed I’d have a similar reaction to the monitor. With the monitor I do notice, though, given my relative proximity to the screen.

I do run a small second monitor alongside it for work and that curved to flat transition might bug some people but hasn’t been an issue for me.

I just bought the HP version of this (same panel), so that solves (a).

@mono told me that ultra widescreen is better than 4K as a 3080 drives it better and Joshy knows best.

Oh no doubt, 3440x1440 is only 4.9m pixels; 4k is 8.3m. So it’s almost 70% harder to drive a 4k monitor.

A 34" IPS ultrawide/165Hz/Freesync Premium panel for under $450 seems like a steal to me.

Curious to hear how it works for you in person @Chappers . I paid way more for my Asus G-Sync ultrawide a couple of years back.

That does look tempting. Does it come with a Displayport cable or do you have to buy one separately?

Edit: On the other hand, Nvidia’s new DSLDR or whatever is called is going to make my old 1080p monitor look incredible. Just you watch.

I believe it comes with one, I won’t get it until Monday.

Random fact:

2d applications will actually be in a weird way less distorted on curved screens. Distortion of 2d images is an optical illusion because you’re used to seeing them on planes, which are slightly distorted from the perspective of your eye.

3d applications almost always assume a planar view pane - the angle between rays decreases slightly as you move away from the center. For a curved monitor you would need to keep the angle between rays constant, so there is a slight distortion. Of course, the distortion caused by any difference between your eye point and the eye point used in the rendering is much larger.