Advice for purchasing a new PC monitor

Same here, got mine last summer and love it.

I’ve been hearing/reading that text is not quite as clear on the Alienware OLEDS (and others too maybe?) due to the subpixel layout. Supposedly not a problem when playing games, consuming video contents etc, but more noticeable when using word processors, reading text from web browsers.

I can’t tell from these review if this is actually noticeable by regular users or just a minor nitpick by professional reviewers? Anyone using one of these new OLEDs care to comment?

I can work on it fine and I spend a lot of the day on excel and word documents and email.

Even the reviewers suggest it’s not really much of an issue unless you’re particularly sensitive to it, though I definitely wouldn’t be considering the monitor if I didn’t do most of my WFH on a laptop. And hopefully Clear Type will get patched to deal with it eventually.

I do a lot of reading at my desk and have never had a problem. But, that said, I’m 58 and my vision requires 3.5-4 diopters for comfortable reading. So I’m not the best to chime in on this subjective issue.

I had an LG OLED 48" for about 6 months as my PC display. Too overwhelming. At least in my close knit set up. I passed it along as my son’s PS5 monitor.

This is what I’m running, and I’ll concur…

I code on it daily, it’s been fine for me.

@KevinC and @Chappers what gpu are you using to drive that monitor? I’m wondering if you need an x80 level card, or if something like a 3070 can push all those pixels when gaming.

Edit: ah, it is 3440x1440. I was misremembering and thinking it was one of those 5Kx1440 ones.

I have a 3080 but yeah, 3440x1440 is manageable without one.

Just to clarify, I’m not talking a 16:9 48", but rather a 49" 32:9 super-ultra-widescreen. So no taller than a regular monitor, It’s basically two 16:9 monitors with no bezel in the middle. All of the usability of dual monitors for work, but a beautiful expansive view-filling screen for gaming.

I actually have become enamored of the living-room PC connected to a huge TV concept once again, as I’ve been using my laptop with my LG OLED in the living room for gaming. It’s a great way to play controller-friendly PC games, but yeah, I wouldn’t want to use that TV for my writing or general work.

I have a 3080 as well, everything runs amazing or decent with RT on.

I did this for a year or two with a 65" 4k TV. It was excellent, I’d consider doing it again with the right TV/space. My current setup is monitor and a nearby projector onto the wall, so I can shift from desk to couch easy enough for jumbo media.

Oh, I’ve been having so much fun with the setup that I’m buidling a SFF PC for the living room. Last SFF I built was a DVR/gaming PC back around 2003, so having fun with this. Wanted a bit more gaming power for the big TV and when I saw the price of the 2023 Asus M16, I realized it’d be cheaper to keep the older laptop and just build a downstairs gaming PC. :)

I have had a Dell 3007 30-inch monitor for at least a decade. I’m about to buy or build a new system. Do I need a new monitor? I like the 30-inch size, but I have no idea whether newer monitors would look significantly better.

I think this is a link to my monitor: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-3007WFP-HC-Widescreen-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B001AO2QLG

If it’s still working well and you’re happy with it, no need to replace a display!

(EDIT: If it doesn’t have HDMI, you’ll need a converter or DVI->HDMI cable.)

Are you wanting a monitor for games? High and variable refresh rates can be really nice, gsync or freesync. Resolution wise, I think 1440p is just fine, personally.

If you’re wanting to upgrade, I absolutely love ultrawide monitors!

You want the sexy sexy HDR monitor to view HDR content. If it will last another 10 years you at least want 10-bit display rather than 8-bit (billions of colours instead of millions of colours).

Higher refresh rate is optional but nice to have. If you want to game, you really want at least a G-sync compatible monitor, with variable refresh rate.

Ultrawide is another nice to have feature. For a decent size ultrawide (minimum 34"), you also want to bump up the resolution as much as possible, otherwise everything will be a blurry mess.

It may be better to buy the system and then get a new monitor later. Decent HDR display is not exactly cheap. Even less so with ultrawide.

Thanks for your replies! This old monitor does have HDMI. But yeah, it doesn’t seem as vibrant as my kid’s new Alienware monitor.

As for ultrawide, that looks great, but does it make anyone seasick? In particular, does a curved ultra-wide monitor produce any seasickness? I was surprised to learn that 3D displays make me sick, and I wouldn’t want to spend $1000 on a curved ultrawide monitor only to discover it bothered me.

Does bumping up the resolution to 1440p make text too small to see? For a long time, I ran this monitor at 1280 x 800 (!) because text was hard to read, but I was sitting 6 feet away. Recently I moved closer, about 3-4 feet, and I’m comfortable now at 1920 x 1200. But running at 2560 x 1600 on this monitor means text that is too small. I know Windows can scale apps up, but that feature doesn’t always work properly for me.

Not at all. Don’t think I’ve ever heard that come up.

I have multifocal lenses but use 1440p monitors. I do stand at my desk though, so I’m pretty close.

Thanks for your reply. That’s reassuring. Yeah, I have progressive lenses (and a cataract), so I worry about tiny print. But I think I’d manage, and those ultra-widescreens look exciting.

It took a few days to get used to, maybe a week. But now I switch back and forth between curved and flat displays and don’t even notice.