Advice on a Chromebook 2-in-1 or other device?

I need a laptop for my son to take to school. Apparently they’re going to rely more on “digital” work from now on.
Anyway I thought about getting a Chromebook. He already has a gaming laptop at home (which is too expensive and too heavy to take to school) so I don’t want to spend too much on it, and Chromebooks seem cheaper.
I mostly want it to be light. My son on the other hand - while acknowledging that he won’t be able to run Doom Eternal on it - wants it to at least run Roblox.

Any suggestions?

My only advice is this:

Other than that, make sure the Chromebook meets specs for the school. If they don’t support it, that’s just another headache waiting to happen. And regardless of him wanting to run Roblox, figure it’ll get beat all to hell. I would get something replaceable if needed. If that means you need it to be cheaper, so be it.

I have an older Chromebook and it looks like it’s reached the AUE, which is this:

Each device has an Auto Update Expiration (AUE) date. We encourage you to check the AUE dates of devices before your purchase.

• Before the AUE date , devices will receive new software updates from Google.
  • On and after the AUE date , devices will not receive software updates from Google.

So it no longer receives updates. I don’t see a way to manually update it. Is there one or is it stuck on a 2018 version of Chrome? Is it just a matter of redownloading the browser again?