Aeon Flux, et al: Chicks In Tight Outfits Kicking Some Ass

Well, it’s not anime that’s for sure.

Aeon Flux came in two waves. The first were the shorts that appeared on Liquid Television. Aeon didn’t talk in these (in fact nobody does), and yeah, she died at the end of most of them. The second was in the form of full half-hour episodes. Aeon does talk in these, and hardly ever dies. The whole thing might best be described as surreal nihilistic fetish sci-fi.

The “dreams” thing was wholly invented by and for the live-action movie. For more info, there is of course the Wikipedia entry.

Ordinarily I’d tell you that they’re awful and warn you to stay far, far away. But now that you’ve admitted to liking Ecks vs. Sever, all my normal referents are thrown topsy-turvy, and I just have no idea what advice to give. Black is white. War is peace. Aeon Flux is quality entertainment with subtle, enchanting animation and engrossing character development.

Of the three, Underworld was the only one I thought was remotely interesting. But that’s only because I would watch Kate Beckinsale run around in tight shiny outfits for hours a day if I could. Hell, I’ll watch anything she’s in, even Van Helsing and Serendipity. Yeah, I got it that bad…

And Tom, I totally agree about Scott Speedman. What is it about former Felicity actors that makes them so unlikeable?

QFT.

What is it about former Felicity actors that makes them so unlikeable?

To be fair, Keri Russell wasn’t bad in M:I 3.

Though that may be because they blew up her brain in the first 15 minutes.

Main cast, maybe. But Amy Smart OOOOOOOOH AMY SMART was part of the cast for awhile until the idiot writers thought Man, she’d totally look hot pregnant. :(

I thought the first half of Aeon Flux was ok, as it was just a little bit weird and surreal - not in the same way as the cartoons, but cool because it was a bit weird. Second half, all straight-forward seen-it-before action.

Still better than Ultraviolet, though. I don’t care about the money I spent on that movie, I just want that two hours of my life back.

And if you like Kate Beckinsale, you need to see Laurel Canyon. She doesn’t wear tight outfits and it’s not an action movie, but it’s a great film.