Affordable copy of MS Office?

In the EU, all permanent software licenses are transferable. It’s basically an extension of the “first sale” doctrine that applies to physical media in the US. So Microsoft cannot prevent EU users from selling their software licenses to a third party. It’s possible that sites like SCDkeys are buying keys from EU companies or individuals who no longer need them.

Where the copyright holder makes available to his customer a copy – tangible or intangible – and at the same time concludes, in return form payment of a fee, a licence agreement granting the customer the right to use that copy for an unlimited period, that rightholder sells the copy to the customer and thus exhausts his exclusive distribution right. Such a transaction involves a transfer of the right of ownership of the copy. Therefore, even if the licence agreement prohibits a further transfer, the rightholder can no longer oppose the resale of that copy.

Heh, yeah. That’s why Office 365 is a thing.

If you know a MS FTE, they can hook you up with a Friends & Family pass to the eStore.

The 5-user license for Office 365 is $20.

Damn, that’s great

I’m pretty sure that doesn’t apply to the free educational license in question… :P

I don’t believe EDU licenses are literally free, each college has an agreement with Microsoft so they pay a greatly reduced cost to provide the software to their faculty and students, with the understanding that students repay that cost with their tuition.

I didn’t want to steal it if that’s what you’re getting at, and frankly I’m a little insulted if that undertone is what’s going on. I wanted something I could afford that wouldn’t be a huge waste of money based on my actual use needs. I’ve spent thousands of dollars over my lifetime on MS Office software for personal use so at this point in my life, where I don’t use it daily, I don’t want to be forking out huge sums of money for something that is slightly updated to meet my current demands. I think in my case Microsoft did very well. When I was working I always paid full price for the fully featured and most advanced versions of Office. But at that time I could afford it, and now I cannot.

Things like Google Docs have offline extensions available these days.

I’d forgotten about the MS full-time employee discount on a perpetual license that my friend used to get for me when I visited Seattle. It appears to have changed to a 1-year 365 sub earlier in the thread. Maybe someone who works at MS can hook you up @jpinard before I get around to checking with my sources.

I don’t have any experience with nor can I vouch for the unofficial gray market reseller sites.

Well then, it’s a good thing I wasn’t talking to you (not even sure why you think it was directed at you). You know how when you reply to someone, and it’s the next post in the thread, it doesn’t say “replying to…”? Well that’s what happened here, I was replying to the post above it. I was saying using a copy a school bought for a student but giving it away is stealing. Probably not the right term for it, but it does seem unethical in my book.

Sorry, I should have quoted.

Usually (not always) when we reply to someone specifically even without a quote it will still have their name at the top of our reply. Sorry, that’s why I thought you were possibly talking to me since it was just a general reply.

It is a little weird why sometimes a direct reply (minus quote) to a post will generate a specific reply response, and other times it won’t, so it looks like a reply to just the general thread as a whole.

Depends on whether you reply to the post specifically (like this)

Or hit reply at the very bottom (like this)

???

Was it supposed to look different above with a reply to field in one? Cause they look the same.

I bought a standalone copy of MS Office 2010 about a year ago from softwarelicense4u.com. Dunno if it is missing important features though.

I use Excel daily at work and home, and had a computer which still had 2010 on it for work. The average user would never notice anything. And really it did everything I needed it to do. But it was the little things, like 2010 wanting to fit multiple spreadsheets in one window. Using multiple spreadsheets is just easier in 2016. Then there was little bells and whistles missing that were just annoying. Overall it’s not so much features, but I just find 2016 to be easier to use.

Really, unless you use Excel daily, most people would be better off with the free options.

Stuff like Word or PowerPoint I would never know the difference from 2010 to 2016. Heck I pay for Office 365, and outside of my resume, I just use Pages instead of Word. It’s easier to use.

Did you get notification for both?

LibreOffice to me feels clunky and slow. Response and update times (starting and exiting the program, opening and loading a document, calculations in a spreadsheet) seem much “snappier” in MS Office running on Windows. YMMV

That is true but you compare free to expensive. I have been using libre office/open office since a decade maybe? Just recently went with office when my employer had an offer of 20 Euros for everything. I was always very happy with libre office and it did all I wanted from it and more. Since it is free I higly recommend downloading it and giving it an honest shake for a week or so to get a feeling for it. Can’t beat the price.

Yeah, as a sometimes graphic designer, I am stuck with using Gimp and InkScape. I wish I could afford the Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud. But alas.